Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Back in the day, Grape knew what he wanted to do with his life, or at least the next few years of it. A few bombed modules at AS - and subsequent mediocre grades - put a stop to that. Now he's an academic wreck, flip-flopping his way from subject to subject, university to university quicker than a politician with a diverse audience in front of him.

Third person monologues aside, I need some help.

Back-story:

My current thinking is to apply to Warwick, UEA and perhaps Notts to do some variation of American studies: the courses look intellectually interesting and varied enough to set me up for whatever I want at postgrad. Plus, a year in the U.S. or Canada would be tremendous.

That said, I'm not so kean on the idea that I want to apply to do it at unis I don't like the sound of but happen to offer some form of American Studies. Birmingham? Liverpool? Do I look like I want to get stabbed?

I'm therefore leaning towards using up my other two or three options by applying to do Politics. One of them would certainly be Exeter - Law and Politics or History and Politics (hm, both?). Another would probably be Leeds since they seem to have a great course. Then if I had space, I suppose I'd take a wild punt at York because it's one of the most beautiful and atmospheric cities I've ever had the pleasure of visiting.

The problem is clearly the personal statement. How, I wonder, does someone express their sincere interest in politics while not sounding completely random to an admissions tutor evaluating an application for History, Literature and Culture of the Americas.

Obviously, I can wax lyrical about my obsession with American politics, but that's only gonna get me so far.

Hm, help?

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to apply to 5 unis you know. You'll have to decide which course you want to do in the end anyway, so why not choose now and give it your best shot?
    If you really want to apply to 2 courses, maybe you could discuss your interest in people / culture in relation to America and politics. Post it in the PS forum and a very nice person will check it for you and give you some hints.
    Edit: btw isn't Notts is as bad / worse than Birmingham and Liverpool for crime rates?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grape190190)
    The problem is clearly the personal statement. How, I wonder, does someone express their sincere interest in politics while not sounding completely random to an admissions tutor evaluating an application for History, Literature and Culture of the Americas.

Obviously, I can wax lyrical about my obsession with American politics, but that's only gonna get me so far.

Hm, help?
    I don't see why you couldn't write the PS based on history and politics with a particular emphasis on the US/Americas interest . The important bit would be to make sure that the Exeter/York courses do actually offer modules relevant to those interests - otherwise it might be just a little bit too obvious that you are choosing uni before course . With American Studies being generally rather less competitive than History/Politics, I would have thought that you could add in another topic of interest that isn't directly related to it, which might strengthen your application to Exeter/York .

Post a draft in PS Help and one of the Helpers can take a look for you.

ReputationRep:
    Kittten and Minerva are both right. It wouldn't be impossible to write a PS like that - however, if you wanted to 'play it safe' then you could apply for the American Studies courses you want first (early in the cycle!), see if you get offers, and then possibly add the other choices later.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.