Co-op Student account Watch

Perfectly_Imperfect
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Is it taking forever for them to open it for anyone else? Even my damn credit card came quicker than this!!!

Also, did you get the overdraft straight away, or do you have to apply for that once the account is open?
natweststaffmember
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would pop into your local branch and ask them if the account is open and how you apply for the overdraft facility.
sugar_man
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I just applied to them yesterday, no credit card tho, just Visa Debit Card hopefully. I'm pretty sure the interest-free overdraft is informal i.e. doesn't require prior action

Let us know how you get on, I will.
Minardi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Took them over a month for mine. Bloody awful. Although afterwards the sercvice improved markedly, and I've had no dealing with customer services since, so it can't be bad...
sugar_man
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Arghhhh they're taking they're sweet time sending me details of my Student Account in the post. After a phone call I applied online, but its been way past their 5-working-day promise.

Hopefully by the end of the month...
sugar_man
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hold on a minute - I retract that. My confirmation letter arrived this morning.

It doesn't ask me to provide evidence of being a student like a letterhead Uni/UCAS letter. But since I put it my uni details and contact telephone no. in the online application form, this leads me to assume they phoned the uni themselves to check. This might be why it took them longer than 5-working-days then.

One question tho. It says once £300 is transferred, a Co-operative Bank Debit Card will be sent automatically. Will this be a full Visa card, or just a Visa Electron card?
Minardi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sugar_man)
Hold on a minute - I retract that. My confirmation letter arrived this morning.

It doesn't ask me to provide evidence of being a student like a letterhead Uni/UCAS letter. But since I put it my uni details and contact telephone no. in the online application form, this leads me to assume they phoned the uni themselves to check. This might be why it took them longer than 5-working-days then.

One question tho. It says once £300 is transferred, a Co-operative Bank Debit Card will be sent automatically. Will this be a full Visa card, or just a Visa Electron card?
Full Visa.
lalalakia
Report 10 years ago
I just applied for mine online last night.
Hope it doesn't take too long.
But the thing is my loan is going into a current account at Abbey atm, will they swap it automatically for me or what?

I hope it doesn't take too long though.
sugar_man
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Minardi)
Full Visa.
Thanks, thats a relief.

Lalalakia did u put down your Abbey bank details on the app. form to be transferred? If so I think they will send you an Account Transfer Mandate/form which you fill in and hand in/send in the post to your Abbey branch. They will then transfer any existing money, and should also forward payments like your loan as well.

But that might not be the best route to take as it can get messy if your loan arrives to your old account, and Abbey don't forward it or they take ages, and you phone them up and bla bla bla...

Best thing is perhaps to open your Co-op student account and keep your Abbey current account open for a buffer period of say 2 or 3 months. That way if anything comes in to it, you can transfer it yourself manually (internet banking all the way!). After this period you can walk into your Abbey branch and close your account, taking any money thats left in cash, or as a counter-cheque.

That said, when you get your confirmation letter in a weeks time, change your sort code and account number with your Student Finance Direct account ASAP, and anyone else who pays you! You should find it in the top right-hand corner of the letter (first 6 digits is sort code, next 8 is account number).
lalalakia
Report 10 years ago
Thanks, thats a relief.

Lalalakia did u put down your Abbey bank details on the app. form to be transferred? If so I think they will send you an Account Transfer Mandate/form which you fill in and hand in/send in the post to your Abbey branch. They will then transfer any existing money, and should also forward payments like your loan as well.

But that might not be the best route to take as it can get messy if your loan arrives to your old account, and Abbey don't forward it or they take ages, and you phone them up and bla bla bla...

Best thing is perhaps to open your Co-op student account and keep your Abbey current account open for a buffer period of say 2 or 3 months. That way if anything comes in to it, you can transfer it yourself manually (internet banking all the way!). After this period you can walk into your Abbey branch and close your account, taking any money thats left in cash, or as a counter-cheque.

That said, when you get your confirmation letter in a weeks time, change your sort code and account number with your Student Finance Direct account ASAP, and anyone else who pays you! You should find it in the top right-hand corner of the letter (first 6 digits is sort code, next 8 is account number).
OK, thanks for that information.

I did give them info of my Abbey account, but know I kind of wish that I had just done it all manually!
Perfectly_Imperfect
Rep:
?
arghh, ffs! I went in yesterday, and the lady was like "to be honest we have no idea what's happening as we use different codes on the system" or something like that. She tried to call the Student Accounts people but they had shut at 4.
She called this afternoon and said that they had never received the evidence. She asked who had seen me in the branch, and said she would ask them. She said she would search the branch and get back to me.

gah!
lalalakia
Report 10 years ago
I got rejected!

It is so annoying....I chose the Co-Op because of their ethical policy and was really looking forward to using them. I just do not get it!
I have been overdrawn once, and paid the money back in straight away to my account with Abbey. I also said I was to close this account when I get my Co-Op one.

Now I have to settle for some dirty dealing high street chain.
Boo!
Perfectly_Imperfect
Rep:
?
maybe try Smile? They are the sister company, but I think they are run seperately, if that makes sense? What reason did they give you?
lalalakia
Report 10 years ago
No reason, but just that I was rejected.

I don't particularly want to go for Smile, just because it is purely online and I know that is something my parents will moan at me about.

Think I will have to just update by Abbey one.
sugar_man
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lalalakia)
I don't particularly want to go for Smile, just because it is purely online and I know that is something my parents will moan at me about(
Yea I thought exactly the same. However, from what I know, Smile are technically an internet-only bank but you can still withdraw money from any Link/Bank cash machine for free like 'normal' banks, and you can still walk in to a Co-op branch for face-to-face service, so there's no difference in reality. Can anyone confirm me on this?

Unlucky that you got rejected lalalakia. If you don't want a Smile account, and they might just reject you in a similar fashion, you could always stay a year with an Abbey student bank account, and then this time next year apply to Co-op/Smile again in person and tell them:

"Look, I've had this student account for 1 year and haven't dipped into the overdraft. You can trust me!"
Minardi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yea I thought exactly the same. However, from what I know, Smile are technically an internet-only bank but you can still withdraw money from any Link/Bank cash machine for free like 'normal' banks, and you can still walk in to a Co-op branch for face-to-face service, so there's no difference in reality. Can anyone confirm me on this?
I can.
lalalakia
Report 10 years ago

Unlucky that you got rejected lalalakia. If you don't want a Smile account, and they might just reject you in a similar fashion, you could always stay a year with an Abbey student bank account, and then this time next year apply to Co-op/Smile again in person and tell them:

"Look, I've had this student account for 1 year and haven't dipped into the overdraft. You can trust me!"
Oh that is cool.
I was abit apprehensive about that, but it seems pretty fine now. But, like you said, because they are joint, Smile would probably just rejected me now anyway too.
Thanks for the information though, I might do what you said. :yep:
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (201)
43.6%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (143)
31.02%
I don't have an opinion (117)
25.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed