Ive FINISHED my PPE oxford interview =/

Watch
This discussion is closed.
James Cook
Badges:
#1
Report 18 years ago
#1
And on the last day, I was requested to have an interview with a
SEPERATE college!

Im trying to work out what this means in terms of will I or wont I get
in. So far ive come up with possible reasons:

1) Because I was on the margin and Oxford wanted to give me another
interview to see if I was "just above" or "just below" getting in? eg
they wanted to test me further as they were unsure about me?

2) Because my main college didnt have enough places but they thought I
was good and so wanted to pass me on because they thought it would be
a shame to reject me?

3) Because my main college thought I was total crap and wanted to get
rid of me?

As it happens, my first interview went crap and my 2nd one at the other
college went better than the 1st one.

Please can anyone help me to understand what I can infer from the fact
that I was given another interview at another college? I know it isnt
always easy to tell what it means, but is it GENERALLY a good sign or
a bad sign?

James Cook
1
Al Chemyst
Badges:
#2
Report 18 years ago
#2
In article <[email protected] k>,
[email protected] says...
[q1]> And on the last day, I was requested to have an interview with a[/q1]
[q1]> SEPERATE college![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Im trying to work out what this means in terms of will I or wont I get[/q1]
[q1]> in. So far ive come up with possible reasons:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> 1) Because I was on the margin and Oxford wanted to give me another[/q1]
[q1]> interview to see if I was "just above" or "just below" getting in?[/q1]
[q1]> eg they wanted to test me further as they were unsure about me?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> 2) Because my main college didnt have enough places but they thought I[/q1]
[q1]> was good and so wanted to pass me on because they thought it would[/q1]
[q1]> be a shame to reject me?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> 3) Because my main college thought I was total crap and wanted to get[/q1]
[q1]> rid of me?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> As it happens, my first interview went crap and my 2nd one at the[/q1]
[q1]> other college went better than the 1st one.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Please can anyone help me to understand what I can infer from the fact[/q1]
[q1]> that I was given another interview at another college? I know it isnt[/q1]
[q1]> always easy to tell what it means, but is it GENERALLY a good sign or[/q1]
[q1]> a bad sign?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> James Cook[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
It is hard to say, but out of the 3 options I'd say the 2nd sounds the
most plausible, and definitely not 1 (coz the colleges are very
separated).

However, we were told not to read too much into it when we were
there, FWIW

Oh, and by the way, I got interviewed and 2 other colleges besides the
one I applied to, and got into one of them, and am really really happy
about it. I didn't like the one I applied to actually, so it worked
out well. Not that I didn't balls up the interview on purpose or
anything ;-).

So, don't panic, it's not necessarily a bad sign!

-=- Al
0
Mark Thakkar
Badges:
#3
Report 18 years ago
#3
James,

[q1]> Please can anyone help me to understand what I can infer from the fact[/q1]
[q1]> that I was given another interview at another college? I know it isnt[/q1]
[q1]> always easy to tell what it means, but is it GENERALLY a good sign or[/q1]
[q1]> a bad sign?[/q1]

Generally it means nothing at all; most people get at least two
interviews.

Mark.
0
Rikki Prince
Badges:
#4
Report 18 years ago
#4
"James Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>
[q1]> 2) Because my main college didnt have enough places but they thought[/q1]
I was
[q1]> good and so wanted to pass me on because they thought it would be a[/q1]
shame to
[q1]> reject me?[/q1]

I was told that this was the reason for that kind of occurence - that
your original college thinks you are Oxford material, but they don't
have room at the college, so offer you to other colleges. However, I may
be wrong. Cambridge do a similar thing, but invite you up for another
day in early January. I think Oxford try to do it all in the few days
you're there...

Rikki
0
Tom Bell
Badges:
#5
Report 18 years ago
#5
It doens't necessarily mean anything - I had an interview at St Hugh's
and still got into my first choice, Trinity. It could mean that the
other college simply didn't have enough applicants.

Tom

"James Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> And on the last day, I was requested to have an interview with a[/q1]
[q1]> SEPERATE college![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Im trying to work out what this means in terms of will I or wont I get[/q1]
[q1]> in. So far ive come up with possible reasons:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> 1) Because I was on the margin and Oxford wanted to give me another[/q1]
[q1]> interview to see if I was "just above" or "just below" getting in?[/q1]
[q1]> eg they wanted to test me further as they were unsure about me?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> 2) Because my main college didnt have enough places but they thought I[/q1]
[q1]> was good and so wanted to pass me on because they thought it would[/q1]
[q1]> be a shame[/q1]
to
[q1]> reject me?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> 3) Because my main college thought I was total crap and wanted to[/q1]
[q1]> get rid[/q1]
of
[q1]> me?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> As it happens, my first interview went crap and my 2nd one at the[/q1]
[q1]> other college went better than the 1st one.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Please can anyone help me to understand what I can infer from the fact[/q1]
that
[q1]> I was given another interview at another college? I know it[/q1]
[q1]> isnt always[/q1]
easy
[q1]> to tell what it means, but is it GENERALLY a good sign or a bad sign?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> James Cook[/q1]
0
Mark Thakkar
Badges:
#6
Report 18 years ago
#6
I wrote:

[q2]>> can anyone help me to understand what I can infer from the fact that[/q2]
[q2]>> I was given another interview at another college? I know it isnt[/q2]
[q2]>> always easy to tell what it means, but is it GENERALLY a good sign or[/q2]
[q2]>> a bad sign?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Generally it means nothing at all; most people get at least two[/q1]
[q1]> interviews.[/q1]

Just to clarify, given Al Chemyst's post, I had an interview at another
college but got into my original choice. I think most other people who
got here (and applied here) had second interviews elsewhere.

Mark.
0
Gaurav Sharma
Badges:
#7
Report 18 years ago
#7
"Mark Thakkar" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> James,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > Please can anyone help me to understand what I can infer from the[/q2]
[q2]> > fact that I was given another interview at another college? I know[/q2]
[q2]> > it isnt always easy to tell what it means, but is it GENERALLY a[/q2]
[q2]> > good sign or a bad sign?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]

erm, try reading the prospectus properly. gosh, even I remember this
one.

--
Gaurav Sharma www.gaurav.info
0
James Law
Badges:
#8
Report 18 years ago
#8
[q1]> I was told that this was the reason for that kind of occurence - that[/q1]
[q1]> your original college thinks you are Oxford material, but they don't[/q1]
[q1]> have room at the college, so offer you to other colleges. However, I[/q1]
[q1]> may be wrong. Cambridge do a similar thing, but invite you up for[/q1]
[q1]> another day in early January. I think Oxford try to do it all in the[/q1]
[q1]> few days you're there...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Rikki[/q1]

Implying that the original tutors have already made their minds up who
to offer places to by the evening after the afternoon's interviews -
which *seems* unlikely.

Lets assume that colleges interview as many prospective students after
doing its A-list (those that put the college first choice) as it needs
(if any) to make offers to for its yearly quota: So college "department"
X will interview candidates from its A-list, and if it feels it has
enough "offer standard candidates" then why waste time interviewing more
from the B-list and C-list ? (generated by computer).

However, if college department Y comes along, needs to make 5-ish
offers, and only feels that 3/4 of its A-list candidates impress them,
then Y will ask to see candidates on its B-list and, if necessary,
C-list. Now Winnie the Pooh on the B-list for college Y could well be on
the A-list for college X ! Fair enough, Y are entitled to interview
Pooh, after all - X may not make Pooh an offer themselves -, but if X
does, then Y must look for another candidate since Pooh nominated X in
the first place.

If this model is along the right lines, then being called for interview
at another college is a good thing, because the other college have
selectively chosen who to interview from its B-list (presumably going by
paper-achievements)so you are being told that your application, at least
on paper, is strong. I would be willing to bet that there is little
inter-college communication at this stage (so college Y chooses who to
interview on its B-list based on ucas/oxford/reference papers alone) -
since colleges are supposed to at times be like a loose conferderation
of warring tribes (no, not really

Under this model, if you do not get called for interview elsewhere it
could mean one, or a combination of two things:

1) That you are you the B and C-lists of two colleges whose A-list is
very strong, so that they do not need to interview more.

2) That your application is weakER on paper than others on the
B-list/C-list which you are yourself on.

The reverse statements apply if you do get called elsewhere.

It also follows from this that if you do not get called elsewhere, your
chances of an eventual offer are *slightly* smaller, after all you
cannot get an offer from a college you never attended !, and (2) above
may have weakened your application at your chosen college.

This model could of course be incorrect, but it seems to make sense!

Probably the only way to put the matter to rest is to ask an admissions
tutor prepared to spent time explaining it - but its surely a
complicated system, and probably very fluid. Does the exception
outnumber the rule?

James
0
James Cook
Badges:
#9
Report 18 years ago
#9
"Gaurav Sharma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "Mark Thakkar" <[email protected] > wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]> > James,[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q3]> > > Please can anyone help me to understand what I can infer from the[/q3]
[q3]> > > fact that I was given another interview at another college? I know[/q3]
[q3]> > > it isnt always easy to tell what it means, but is it GENERALLY a[/q3]
[q3]> > > good sign or a bad sign?[/q3]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> erm, try reading the prospectus properly. gosh, even I remember[/q1]
[q1]> this one.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Then please tell me....

James Cook
0
James Cook
Badges:
#10
Report 18 years ago
#10
"James Law" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q2]> > I was told that this was the reason for that kind of occurence -[/q2]
[q2]> > that your original college thinks you are Oxford material, but they[/q2]
[q2]> > don't have room at the college, so offer you to other colleges.[/q2]
[q2]> > However, I may be wrong. Cambridge do a similar thing, but invite[/q2]
[q2]> > you up for another day in early January. I think Oxford try to do it[/q2]
[q2]> > all in the few days you're there...[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Rikki[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Implying that the original tutors have already made their minds up who[/q1]
[q1]> to offer places to by the evening after the afternoon's interviews -[/q1]
[q1]> which *seems* unlikely.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Lets assume that colleges interview as many prospective students after[/q1]
[q1]> doing its A-list (those that put the college first choice) as it needs[/q1]
[q1]> (if any) to make offers to for its yearly quota: So college[/q1]
[q1]> "department" X will interview candidates from its A-list, and if it[/q1]
[q1]> feels it has enough "offer standard candidates" then why waste time[/q1]
[q1]> interviewing more from the B-list and C-list ? (generated by[/q1]
[q1]> computer).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> However, if college department Y comes along, needs to make 5-ish[/q1]
[q1]> offers, and only feels that 3/4 of its A-list candidates impress them,[/q1]
[q1]> then Y will ask to see candidates on its B-list and, if necessary,[/q1]
[q1]> C-list. Now Winnie the Pooh on the B-list for college Y could well be[/q1]
[q1]> on the A-list for college X ! Fair enough, Y are entitled to interview[/q1]
[q1]> Pooh, after all - X may not make Pooh an offer themselves -, but if X[/q1]
[q1]> does, then Y must look for another candidate since Pooh nominated X in[/q1]
[q1]> the first place.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> If this model is along the right lines, then being called for[/q1]
[q1]> interview at another college is a good thing, because the other[/q1]
[q1]> college have selectively chosen who to interview from its B-list[/q1]
[q1]> (presumably going by paper-achievements)so you are being told that[/q1]
[q1]> your application, at least on paper, is strong. I would be willing to[/q1]
[q1]> bet that there is little inter-college communication at this stage (so[/q1]
[q1]> college Y chooses who to interview on its B-list based on[/q1]
[q1]> ucas/oxford/reference papers alone) - since colleges are supposed to[/q1]
[q1]> at times be like a loose conferderation of warring tribes (no, not[/q1]
[q1]> really[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Under this model, if you do not get called for interview elsewhere it[/q1]
[q1]> could mean one, or a combination of two things:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> 1) That you are you the B and C-lists of two colleges whose A-list is[/q1]
[q1]> very strong, so that they do not need to interview more.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> 2) That your application is weakER on paper than others on the[/q1]
[q1]> B-list/C-list which you are yourself on.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> The reverse statements apply if you do get called elsewhere.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> It also follows from this that if you do not get called elsewhere,[/q1]
[q1]> your chances of an eventual offer are *slightly* smaller, after all[/q1]
[q1]> you cannot get an offer from a college you never attended !, and (2)[/q1]
[q1]> above may have weakened your application at your chosen college.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> This model could of course be incorrect, but it seems to make sense![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Probably the only way to put the matter to rest is to ask an[/q1]
[q1]> admissions tutor prepared to spent time explaining it - but its surely[/q1]
[q1]> a complicated system, and probably very fluid. Does the exception[/q1]
[q1]> outnumber the rule?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> James[/q1]

Thank you very much for posting this possible explanation. I am always
interested in such information, even if it is just guesswork.

James Cook
0
James Gregory
Badges:
#11
Report 18 years ago
#11
James Law wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]

[q1]> Implying that the original tutors have already made their minds up who[/q1]
[q1]> to offer places to by the evening after the afternoon's interviews -[/q1]
[q1]> which *seems* unlikely.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Lets assume that colleges interview as many prospective students after[/q1]
[q1]> doing its A-list (those that put the college first choice) as it needs[/q1]
[q1]> (if any) to make offers to for its yearly quota: So college[/q1]
[q1]> "department" X will interview candidates from its A-list, and if it[/q1]
[q1]> feels it has enough "offer standard candidates" then why waste time[/q1]
[q1]> interviewing more from the B-list and C-list ? (generated by[/q1]
[q1]> computer).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> However, if college department Y comes along, needs to make 5-ish[/q1]
[q1]> offers, and only feels that 3/4 of its A-list candidates impress them,[/q1]
[q1]> then Y will ask to see candidates on its B-list and, if necessary,[/q1]
[q1]> C-list. Now Winnie the Pooh on the B-list for college Y could well be[/q1]
[q1]> on the A-list for college X ! Fair enough, Y are entitled to interview[/q1]
[q1]> Pooh, after all - X may not make Pooh an offer themselves -, but if X[/q1]
[q1]> does, then Y must look for another candidate since Pooh nominated X in[/q1]
[q1]> the first place.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> If this model is along the right lines, then being called for[/q1]
[q1]> interview at another college is a good thing, because the other[/q1]
[q1]> college have selectively chosen who to interview from its B-list[/q1]
[q1]> (presumably going by paper-achievements)so you are being told that[/q1]
[q1]> your application, at least on paper, is strong. I would be willing to[/q1]
[q1]> bet that there is little inter-college communication at this stage (so[/q1]
[q1]> college Y chooses who to interview on its B-list based on[/q1]
[q1]> ucas/oxford/reference papers alone) - since colleges are supposed to[/q1]
[q1]> at times be like a loose conferderation of warring tribes (no, not[/q1]
[q1]> really[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Under this model, if you do not get called for interview elsewhere it[/q1]
[q1]> could mean one, or a combination of two things:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> 1) That you are you the B and C-lists of two colleges whose A-list is[/q1]
[q1]> very strong, so that they do not need to interview more.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> 2) That your application is weakER on paper than others on the[/q1]
[q1]> B-list/C-list which you are yourself on.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> The reverse statements apply if you do get called elsewhere.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> It also follows from this that if you do not get called elsewhere,[/q1]
[q1]> your chances of an eventual offer are *slightly* smaller, after all[/q1]
[q1]> you cannot get an offer from a college you never attended !, and (2)[/q1]
[q1]> above may have weakened your application at your chosen college.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> This model could of course be incorrect, but it seems to make sense![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Probably the only way to put the matter to rest is to ask an[/q1]
[q1]> admissions tutor prepared to spent time explaining it - but its surely[/q1]
[q1]> a complicated system, and probably very fluid. Does the exception[/q1]
[q1]> outnumber the rule?[/q1]

Whatever you are planning to study, change to sociology.

James
0
Mark Thakkar
Badges:
#12
Report 18 years ago
#12
James,

[q1]> Lets assume that colleges interview as many prospective students after[/q1]
[q1]> doing its A-list (those that put the college first choice) as it needs[/q1]
[q1]> (if any) to make offers to for its yearly quota: So college[/q1]
[q1]> "department" X will interview candidates from its A-list, and if it[/q1]
[q1]> feels it has enough "offer standard candidates" then why waste time[/q1]
[q1]> interviewing more from the B-list and C-list ? (generated by[/q1]
[q1]> computer).[/q1]

Perhaps, although colleges don't have quotas - numbers can vary quite
dramatically from year to year. For instance, there are 3 of us doing
Maths & Philosophy in my year, only 1 in the year below, and 6 in the
first year (I think).

[q1]> If this model is along the right lines, then being called for[/q1]
[q1]> interview at another college is a good thing, because the other[/q1]
[q1]> college have selectively chosen who to interview from its B-list[/q1]
[q1]> (presumably going by paper-achievements)so you are being told that[/q1]
[q1]> your application, at least on paper, is strong. I would be willing to[/q1]
[q1]> bet that there is little inter-college communication at this stage (so[/q1]
[q1]> college Y chooses who to interview on its B-list based on[/q1]
[q1]> ucas/oxford/reference papers alone)[/q1]

Possibly, though if you're a strong candidate in a too-strong field,
your college will recommend you to other colleges.

Basically, it's not worth reading anything into the interview process at
all. In the end, it won't tell you whether you've got in, and if it gets
your hopes up only to dash them even harder, you've got a problem.

Mark.
0
Mark Thakkar
Badges:
#13
Report 18 years ago
#13
James,

[q3]>>>> can anyone help me to understand what I can infer from the fact[/q3]
[q3]>>>> that I was given another interview at another college? I know it[/q3]
[q3]>>>> isnt always easy to tell what it means, but is it GENERALLY a good[/q3]
[q3]>>>> sign or a bad sign?[/q3]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> try reading the prospectus properly. gosh, even I remember this one.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Then please tell me....[/q1]

Haven't you had enough replies already? Or are they not turning up on
your news server? There is /absolutely/ nothing of /any/ significance in
your having a second interview. /Nothing at all/.

Mark.
0
James Cook
Badges:
#14
Report 18 years ago
#14
"Mark Thakkar" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> James,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > Lets assume that colleges interview as many prospective students[/q2]
[q2]> > after doing its A-list (those that put the college first choice) as[/q2]
[q2]> > it needs (if any) to make offers to for its yearly quota: So college[/q2]
[q2]> > "department" X will interview candidates from its A-list, and if it[/q2]
[q2]> > feels it has enough "offer standard candidates" then why waste time[/q2]
[q2]> > interviewing more from the B-list and C-list ? (generated by[/q2]
[q2]> > computer).[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Perhaps, although colleges don't have quotas - numbers can vary quite[/q1]
[q1]> dramatically from year to year. For instance, there are 3 of us doing[/q1]
[q1]> Maths & Philosophy in my year, only 1 in the year below, and 6 in the[/q1]
[q1]> first year (I think).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > If this model is along the right lines, then being called for[/q2]
[q2]> > interview at another college is a good thing, because the other[/q2]
[q2]> > college have selectively chosen who to interview from its B-list[/q2]
[q2]> > (presumably going by paper-achievements)so you are being told that[/q2]
[q2]> > your application, at least on paper, is strong. I would be willing[/q2]
[q2]> > to bet that there is little inter-college communication at this[/q2]
[q2]> > stage (so college Y chooses who to interview on its B-list based on[/q2]
[q2]> > ucas/oxford/reference papers alone)[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Possibly, though if you're a strong candidate in a too-strong field,[/q1]
[q1]> your college will recommend you to other colleges.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Basically, it's not worth reading anything into the interview process[/q1]
[q1]> at all. In the end, it won't tell you whether you've got in, and if it[/q1]
[q1]> gets your hopes up only to dash them even harder, you've got a[/q1]
[q1]> problem.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Hmm I agree with you actually now. I am sorry if I came across as
wanting to know something there is nothing to know about. Im just trying
to work out whether I got in or not =/ I am not looking forward to
having to wait until possibly January to find out.

James Cook
0
Danny
Badges:
#15
Report 18 years ago
#15
On Thu, 06 Dec 2001 18:15:11 +0000, James Gregory
<[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>James Law wrote:[/q1]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]>> Implying that the original tutors have already made their minds up[/q2]
[q2]>> who to offer places to by the evening after the afternoon's[/q2]
[q2]>> interviews - which *seems* unlikely.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> Lets assume that colleges interview as many prospective students[/q2]
[q2]>> after doing its A-list (those that put the college first choice) as[/q2]
[q2]>> it needs (if any) to make offers to for its yearly quota: So college[/q2]
[q2]>> "department" X will interview candidates from its A-list, and if it[/q2]
[q2]>> feels it has enough "offer standard candidates" then why waste time[/q2]
[q2]>> interviewing more from the B-list and C-list ? (generated by[/q2]
[q2]>> computer).[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> However, if college department Y comes along, needs to make 5-ish[/q2]
[q2]>> offers, and only feels that 3/4 of its A-list candidates impress[/q2]
[q2]>> them, then Y will ask to see candidates on its B-list and, if[/q2]
[q2]>> necessary, C-list. Now Winnie the Pooh on the B-list for college Y[/q2]
[q2]>> could well be on the A-list for college X ! Fair enough, Y are[/q2]
[q2]>> entitled to interview Pooh, after all - X may not make Pooh an offer[/q2]
[q2]>> themselves -, but if X does, then Y must look for another candidate[/q2]
[q2]>> since Pooh nominated X in the first place.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> If this model is along the right lines, then being called for[/q2]
[q2]>> interview at another college is a good thing, because the other[/q2]
[q2]>> college have selectively chosen who to interview from its B-list[/q2]
[q2]>> (presumably going by paper-achievements)so you are being told that[/q2]
[q2]>> your application, at least on paper, is strong. I would be willing to[/q2]
[q2]>> bet that there is little inter-college communication at this stage[/q2]
[q2]>> (so college Y chooses who to interview on its B-list based on[/q2]
[q2]>> ucas/oxford/reference papers alone) - since colleges are supposed to[/q2]
[q2]>> at times be like a loose conferderation of warring tribes (no, not[/q2]
[q2]>> really[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> Under this model, if you do not get called for interview elsewhere it[/q2]
[q2]>> could mean one, or a combination of two things:[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> 1) That you are you the B and C-lists of two colleges whose A-list is[/q2]
[q2]>> very strong, so that they do not need to interview more.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> 2) That your application is weakER on paper than others on the[/q2]
[q2]>> B-list/C-list which you are yourself on.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> The reverse statements apply if you do get called elsewhere.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> It also follows from this that if you do not get called elsewhere,[/q2]
[q2]>> your chances of an eventual offer are *slightly* smaller, after all[/q2]
[q2]>> you cannot get an offer from a college you never attended !, and (2)[/q2]
[q2]>> above may have weakened your application at your chosen college.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> This model could of course be incorrect, but it seems to make sense![/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> Probably the only way to put the matter to rest is to ask an[/q2]
[q2]>> admissions tutor prepared to spent time explaining it - but its[/q2]
[q2]>> surely a complicated system, and probably very fluid. Does the[/q2]
[q2]>> exception outnumber the rule?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Whatever you are planning to study, change to sociology.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> James[/q1]

Why do you say that? I hope it's not a subliminal dig at *my* ( ;-) )
subject :P

Dan
0
Mark Thakkar
Badges:
#16
Report 18 years ago
#16
James,

[q2]>> Basically, it's not worth reading anything into the interview process[/q2]
[q2]>> at all. In the end, it won't tell you whether you've got in, and if[/q2]
[q2]>> it gets your hopes up only to dash them even harder, you've got a[/q2]
[q2]>> problem.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Hmm I agree with you actually now. I am sorry if I came across as[/q1]
[q1]> wanting to know something there is nothing to know about. Im just[/q1]
[q1]> trying to work out whether I got in or not =/ I am not looking forward[/q1]
[q1]> to having to wait until possibly January to find out.[/q1]

Good luck, anyway. Sorry if I've missed this, but what college did
you apply to?

Mark.
0
James Cook
Badges:
#17
Report 18 years ago
#17
"Mark Thakkar" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> James,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >> Basically, it's not worth reading anything into the interview[/q2]
[q2]> >> process at all. In the end, it won't tell you whether you've got[/q2]
[q2]> >> in, and if it gets your hopes up only to dash them even harder,[/q2]
[q2]> >> you've got a problem.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Hmm I agree with you actually now. I am sorry if I came across as[/q2]
[q2]> > wanting to know something there is nothing to know about. Im just[/q2]
[q2]> > trying to work out whether I got in or not =/ I am not looking[/q2]
[q2]> > forward to having to wait until possibly January to find out.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Good luck, anyway. Sorry if I've missed this, but what college did you[/q1]
[q1]> apply to?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Pembroke

James Cook
0
James Law
Badges:
#18
Report 18 years ago
#18
A friend of mine whose just finished his spell in Oxford applying for
economics (LMH) asked the tutors about this (at LMH). There at least,
there are two types of "further interview" - those requested by the
other colleges, and those requested by LMH. A further interview at
request from LMH means that they think you are marginal (heads up for
the last place?) and want a second opinion. A further interivew at
another colleges' request meant that they may be short, and has nothing
to do with the original college, or their ultimate decision, whatsoever.

But as Mark says below, there is no logic in reading into it (unless
you're like me and you have a quirky interest attempting to guess how
admissions tutors with 3:1 application/place ratios make decisions) if
youve just applied. Probably best to chill out - but then who really
is logical ?

James
0
James Gregory
Badges:
#19
Report 18 years ago
#19
Danny wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> On Thu, 06 Dec 2001 18:15:11 +0000, James Gregory[/q1]
[q1]> <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >James Law wrote:[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >> Implying that the original tutors have already made their minds up[/q2]
[q2]> >> who to offer places to by the evening after the afternoon's[/q2]
[q2]> >> interviews - which *seems* unlikely.[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> Lets assume that colleges interview as many prospective students[/q2]
[q2]> >> after doing its A-list (those that put the college first choice) as[/q2]
[q2]> >> it needs (if any) to make offers to for its yearly quota: So[/q2]
[q2]> >> college "department" X will interview candidates from its A-list,[/q2]
[q2]> >> and if it feels it has enough "offer standard candidates" then why[/q2]
[q2]> >> waste time interviewing more from the B-list and C-list ?[/q2]
[q2]> >> (generated by computer).[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> However, if college department Y comes along, needs to make 5-ish[/q2]
[q2]> >> offers, and only feels that 3/4 of its A-list candidates impress[/q2]
[q2]> >> them, then Y will ask to see candidates on its B-list and, if[/q2]
[q2]> >> necessary, C-list. Now Winnie the Pooh on the B-list for college Y[/q2]
[q2]> >> could well be on the A-list for college X ! Fair enough, Y are[/q2]
[q2]> >> entitled to interview Pooh, after all - X may not make Pooh an[/q2]
[q2]> >> offer themselves -, but if X does, then Y must look for another[/q2]
[q2]> >> candidate since Pooh nominated X in the first place.[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> If this model is along the right lines, then being called for[/q2]
[q2]> >> interview at another college is a good thing, because the other[/q2]
[q2]> >> college have selectively chosen who to interview from its B-list[/q2]
[q2]> >> (presumably going by paper-achievements)so you are being told that[/q2]
[q2]> >> your application, at least on paper, is strong. I would be willing[/q2]
[q2]> >> to bet that there is little inter-college communication at this[/q2]
[q2]> >> stage (so college Y chooses who to interview on its B-list based on[/q2]
[q2]> >> ucas/oxford/reference papers alone) - since colleges are supposed[/q2]
[q2]> >> to at times be like a loose conferderation of warring tribes (no,[/q2]
[q2]> >> not really[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> Under this model, if you do not get called for interview elsewhere[/q2]
[q2]> >> it could mean one, or a combination of two things:[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> 1) That you are you the B and C-lists of two colleges whose A-list[/q2]
[q2]> >> is very strong, so that they do not need to interview more.[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> 2) That your application is weakER on paper than others on the[/q2]
[q2]> >> B-list/C-list which you are yourself on.[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> The reverse statements apply if you do get called elsewhere.[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> It also follows from this that if you do not get called elsewhere,[/q2]
[q2]> >> your chances of an eventual offer are *slightly* smaller, after all[/q2]
[q2]> >> you cannot get an offer from a college you never attended !, and[/q2]
[q2]> >> (2) above may have weakened your application at your chosen[/q2]
[q2]> >> college.[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> This model could of course be incorrect, but it seems to make[/q2]
[q2]> >> sense![/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> Probably the only way to put the matter to rest is to ask an[/q2]
[q2]> >> admissions tutor prepared to spent time explaining it - but its[/q2]
[q2]> >> surely a complicated system, and probably very fluid. Does the[/q2]
[q2]> >> exception outnumber the rule?[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >Whatever you are planning to study, change to sociology.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > James[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Why do you say that? I hope it's not a subliminal dig at *my* ( ;-) )[/q1]
[q1]> subject :P[/q1]

For coming up with bizarre, over-complicated and completely
unneccessary "models".

James
0
Mark Thakkar
Badges:
#20
Report 18 years ago
#20
James,

[q3]>>>> If this model is along the right lines, then being called for[/q3]
[q3]>>>> interview at another college is a good thing [...] Under this[/q3]
[q3]>>>> model, if you do not get called for interview elsewhere it could[/q3]
[q3]>>>> mean one, or a combination of two things [...] This model could of[/q3]
[q3]>>>> course be incorrect, but it seems to make sense![/q3]
[q3]>>>[/q3]
[q3]>>> Whatever you are planning to study, change to sociology.[/q3]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> Why do you say that?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> For coming up with bizarre, over-complicated and completely[/q1]
[q1]> unneccessary "models".[/q1]

Yes, I think James (Cook)'s model needs to lose some weight.

Mark.
0
X
new posts
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (269)
33.88%
No (525)
66.12%

Watched Threads

View All