Turn on thread page Beta

How do I become a teacher ? watch

Announcements

Hello everyone, I am looking for some help.

I am 38 years old and have a computing degree which I received 15 years ago. I am now sick to the
    back teeth of seeing money as my main career objective. I wish now to do something I have always
    wanted to do, teach.

How do I go about it ? Am I too old to start along this path ? I would like to teach computing or
    English. Is this totally unrealistic ?

I will be moving to the South East of the U.K. very soon.

Where do I begin ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers.

George

George O'Neill wrote:
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Hello everyone, I am looking for some help.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I am 38 years old and have a computing degree which I received 15 years ago. I am now sick to the[/q1]
    [q1]> back teeth of seeing money as my main career objective. I wish now to do something I have always[/q1]
    [q1]> wanted to do, teach.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> How do I go about it ? Am I too old to start along this path ? I would like to teach computing or[/q1]
    [q1]> English. Is this totally unrealistic ?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I will be moving to the South East of the U.K. very soon.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Where do I begin ?[/q1]

You might start by looking at

http://www.canteach.gov.uk/

Good luck. If you can do it (not everyone can), teaching can be really good fun. You're not too old
    ... but be prepared for it to be very hard work for a few years at least.

Bob

"George O'Neill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I am 38 years old and have a computing degree which I received 15 years ago. I am now sick to the[/q1]
    [q1]> back teeth of seeing money as my main career objective. I wish now to do something I have always[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> How do I go about it ? Am I too old to start along this path ? I would like to teach computing or[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Any help will be appreciated.[/q1]

I would strongly recommend you read "All Must Have Prizes" by Melanie Phillips. It gives one view of
    the trends in British education, and the way it is/was taught, why standards have, allegedly, been
    dropping, progressives taking over at the top etc etc - see the reviews on amazon.co.uk. Also take a
    look at http://www.cre.org.uk/

All the very best.

F.

"George O'Neill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Any help will be appreciated.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Cheers.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> George[/q1]

Good on you George. Teaching is no way an easy option but if you're serious probably the best route
    would be to do a Post Graduate Certificate in Education which lasts one year full time. Be warned
    however, when you qualify you might have to travel to get a job - some areas are well off for
    teachers and your age and experience make you expensive. Also, strange as it may seem, you might
    find some bias toward your skills and experience in some places. This is always supposing you want
    to find a job in a secondary school. If you want to teach Primary you'll walk into a job anywhere in
    the country.

John (An ex IT professional who move to teaching and now works in a nursery school)

Felicity wrote:
    [q1]>[/q1]

[q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I would strongly recommend you read "All Must Have Prizes" by Melanie Phillips. It gives one view[/q1]
    [q1]> of the trends in British education,[/q1]

... A view, it should be pointed out, with all the underpinning intellectual rigour of a Daily Mail
    second leader.

[q1]> and the way it is/was taught, why standards have, allegedly, been dropping, progressives[/q1]
    [q1]> taking over at the top etc etc - see the reviews on amazon.co.uk. Also take a look at[/q1]
    [q1]> http://www.cre.org.uk/[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]

There's lots wrong with UK education, it's true. People like Melanie Phillips and the self-styled
    'campaign for real education', though, are closer to being a cause than a solution to the problems.
    Be warned.

Bob

in message news:[email protected]...
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q2]> > Hello everyone, I am looking for some help.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > I am 38 years old and have a computing degree which I received 15 years ago. I am now sick to[/q2]
    [q2]> > the back teeth of seeing money as my main career objective. I wish now to do something I have[/q2]
    [q2]> > always wanted to do, teach.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > How do I go about it ?[/q2]

Well using the article in the TES this week as a guide, I would say, move within travelling distance
    of London, ring up the Institute of Education and ask them about the fast track system that will
    give you QTS ( no strings and no PGCE necessary) in six weeks. Get a job in a school ( they will
    probably help you find one) and six weeks after you start you will be a teacher with Qualified
    Teacher Status.

Its an insult to those of us who have been teaching for years, who have taken certificates, and
    learned our craft - and even more so to some like OTT or FE teachers who despite clearly being good
    teachers, well qualified both academincally and in terms of PGCE and Cert Eds etc. and highly
    committed cannot get QTS , and so cannot become teachers properly ( QTS being the key to being a
    teacher here) but that isnt what you asked

You simply asked how to become a teacher - and I have answered that.

Felicity wrote in message
    <[email protected]>... <SNIP>
    [q1]>I would strongly recommend you read "All Must Have Prizes" by Melanie Phillips. It gives one view[/q1]
    [q1]>of the trends in British education, and the way it is/was taught, why standards have, allegedly,[/q1]
    [q1]>been dropping, progressives taking over at the top etc etc - see the reviews on amazon.co.uk. Also[/q1]
    [q1]>take a look at http://www.cre.org.uk/[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    Agreed. Excellent book, totally detested by the permissive intelegensia which speaks volumes for how
    good it is!!

Bob Spowart wrote:
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Felicity wrote in message[/q1]
    [q1]> <[email protected]>... <SNIP>[/q1]
    [q2]> >I would strongly recommend you read "All Must Have Prizes" by Melanie Phillips. It gives one view[/q2]
    [q2]> >of the trends in British education, and the way it is/was taught, why standards have, allegedly,[/q2]
    [q2]> >been dropping, progressives taking over at the top etc etc - see the reviews on amazon.co.uk.[/q2]
    [q2]> >Also take a look at http://www.cre.org.uk/[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q1]> Agreed. Excellent book, totally detested by the permissive intelegensia which speaks volumes for[/q1]
    [q1]> how good it is!![/q1]

A contrary opinion, always stimulating. I wonder if Ms Phillips herself can spell 'intelligentsia'
    correctly, or if she might deplore the lack of standards evidenced by attempts such as
    'intelegensia'.

The book is disliked ('detested' takes it too seriously) by those with a taste for argument over
    assertion and evidence over opinion. Daily Mail readers and other mouth-breathers seem to enjoy
    having their ill-founded prejudices sustained by such, it's true. But, de gustibus ...

Bob

Clark wrote in message <[email protected]>.. .
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Felicity wrote:[/q1]
    [q2]>> I would strongly recommend you read "All Must Have Prizes" by Melanie Phillips. It gives one view[/q2]
    [q2]>> of the trends in British education,[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>... A view, it should be pointed out, with all the underpinning intellectual rigour of a Daily Mail[/q1]
    [q1]>second leader.[/q1]
    [q2]>> and the way it is/was taught, why standards have, allegedly, been dropping, progressives[/q2]
    [q2]>> taking over at the top etc etc - see the reviews on amazon.co.uk. Also take a look at[/q2]
    [q2]>> http://www.cre.org.uk/[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>There's lots wrong with UK education, it's true. People like Melanie Phillips and the self-styled[/q1]
    [q1]>'campaign for real education', though, are closer to being a cause than a solution to the problems.[/q1]
    [q1]>Be warned.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    Disagree. Anything that seeks to reverse the mistakes made in education from the '50s onwards has to
    be applauded.

Bob Spowart wrote:
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Clark wrote in message <[email protected]>.. .[/q1]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >Felicity wrote:[/q2]
    [q2]> >> I would strongly recommend you read "All Must Have Prizes" by Melanie Phillips. It gives one[/q2]
    [q2]> >> view of the trends in British education,[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >... A view, it should be pointed out, with all the underpinning intellectual rigour of a Daily[/q2]
    [q2]> >Mail second leader.[/q2]
    [q2]> >> and the way it is/was taught, why standards have, allegedly, been dropping, progressives[/q2]
    [q2]> >> taking over at the top etc etc - see the reviews on amazon.co.uk. Also take a look at[/q2]
    [q2]> >> http://www.cre.org.uk/[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >There's lots wrong with UK education, it's true. People like Melanie Phillips and the self-styled[/q2]
    [q2]> >'campaign for real education', though, are closer to being a cause than a solution to the[/q2]
    [q2]> >problems. Be warned.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q1]> Disagree. Anything that seeks to reverse the mistakes made in education from the '50s onwards has[/q1]
    [q1]> to be applauded.[/q1]

No. Not *anything*. That's just silly. Some attempts at reversing those mistakes (I wonder if we
    agree what they were?) have tended to entrench their results or have worse outcomes than the
    original failings. Does the name 'Woodhead' ring any bells in this regard, I wonder?

Bob

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.