Knightrises10
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hello. I was thinking of doing the organic portion of AS chemistry. Do you think it's better to do from the book, or should I use chemguide (which btw, I find better than my book), or to watch videos on it from YouTube?
RtheBotanist
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Chemguide chemguide chemguide.

I'm teaching myself all the AQA year 13 content before it happens. Chemguide works.
Last edited by RtheBotanist; 4 months ago
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Knightrises10)
Hello. I was thinking of doing the organic portion of AS chemistry. Do you think it's better to do from the book, or should I use chemguide (which btw, I find better than my book), or to watch videos on it from YouTube?
Both?

Chemguide is undoubtably excellent, but it is not specific to any specification. You will learn about things you don't need to learn about if you only use chemguide. But then again, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
All of the above helped me!
There's no reason you can use them all. Use whichever one you prefer mainly and the others to back up or solidify anything you're not too sure on. Just make sure whatever you're learning matches up with the specification for your exam board and that you're not missing anything out.

I'd also highly reccomend Chemrevise! Great booklets for a bunch of specifications that I believe saved my grade (been a little while since I've done it so you may need to check they're being kept up to date).
Knightrises10
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Pigster)
Both?

Chemguide is undoubtably excellent, but it is not specific to any specification. You will learn about things you don't need to learn about if you only use chemguide. But then again, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
(Original post by yeahthatonethere)
All of the above helped me!
There's no reason you can use them all. Use whichever one you prefer mainly and the others to back up or solidify anything you're not too sure on. Just make sure whatever you're learning matches up with the specification for your exam board and that you're not missing anything out.

I'd also highly reccomend Chemrevise! Great booklets for a bunch of specifications that I believe saved my grade (been a little while since I've done it so you may need to check they're being kept up to date).
(Original post by RtheBotanist)
Chemguide chemguide chemguide.

I'm teaching myself all the AQA year 13 content before it happens. Chemguide works.
So since I'll be self studying, from chemguide mainly, do you recommend making notes from it or simply reading?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
So since I'll be self studying, from chemguide mainly, do you recommend making notes from it or simply reading?
What is the aim of your self study?
RtheBotanist
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
That really depends on whether you want to learn it all together or break it down into understanding the concepts and THEN memorising all the specification points, which definitely require you to take notes. I find the concepts really quite fast and easy to learn, but still need to work on memorising tests, mechanisms, colour changes etc. a bit harder, so I'm finding I can distil (no pun intended, seriously.......... Seriously.) all the stuff I need to get me through the exam into very concise notes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (504)
33.67%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (621)
41.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (304)
20.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.54%

Watched Threads