?
Report 3 weeks ago
Law of averages says yes.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think as a majority, unlikely for many years given the support for the SNP in Scotland. Even with the worst Tory leader and worst Prime Minister in history.
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's unlikely. The one thing that would finish off Labour would be if the hard left followed through on their threats and formed a far-left party that has a realistic chance of getting above 50 seats.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
It's unlikely. The one thing that would finish off Labour would be if the hard left followed through on their threats and formed a far-left party that has a realistic chance of getting above 50 seats.
Would that honestly be a threat though? Comrade Corbyns mildly left wing antics received absolutely no approval in our general election, and what BLM stands for, in terms of the radical left views has received only public support from those actually in the movement or virtue signalling celebs. While I can see a far left party getting votes, I can't see them getting enough to get an actual seat. More of a threat to Labour is if the Tories keep moving left. They've so far away from traditional conservative beliefs now they're basically a centre left party.
Calibrated.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No idea but something needs to shake up British politics.

The Conservative Party and their supporters have a pathological addiction to squandering money they don't have. It can't last forever and we'll will pay a heavy price in the future for their fiscal recklessness.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Almost certainly. They've been out of power for ten years - but the causes of that have been, in a large part, self-inflicted. Labour can certainly rebuild after the Corbyn years.

I think it's bizarre how often parties get written off. Governments look like they're the only acceptable option, until another one comes along and very quickly things change.
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
Would that honestly be a threat though? Comrade Corbyns mildly left wing antics received absolutely no approval in our general election, and what BLM stands for, in terms of the radical left views has received only public support from those actually in the movement or virtue signalling celebs. While I can see a far left party getting votes, I can't see them getting enough to get an actual seat. More of a threat to Labour is if the Tories keep moving left. They've so far away from traditional conservative beliefs now they're basically a centre left party.
I'd imagine that if Keir Starmer moves Labour back to the centre left then the far left might actually leave Labour.

As for your point about leftists within the Tories, Sunak does seem to be a bit pink around the edges. He'll hopefully get turfed out when he calls for tax rises and we'll get a fiscally conservative Chancellor.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by HerdRunner)
What do you think?
If the party itself collapses, then no.
luvjos
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by username5336976)
What do you think?
Personally, I think any left wing party has a higher chance of being in power when the majority-all of gen Z can vote. I think this because in the society we live in now, teenagers seem to be a lot more liberal/leftist.
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by luvjos)
Personally, I think any left wing party has a higher chance of being in power when the majority-all of gen Z can vote. I think this because in the society we live in now, teenagers seem to be a lot more liberal/leftist.
A lot more zoomers are right wingers and I think the amount of 18 and 40 year olds who voted for the Tories was the same. I'm a teenager and am on the right of the Tory party myself.
CAB18022
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think they will after Boris' government since people will be tired of being governed by the Tories for almost a decade! (and I say this as a Tory myself)
Bailey14
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think so. Being out of power for as long as they have now, I think it's quite possible that people will want change. If the party builds well up to the next general election, I can see the Labour Party forming a minority government in 2024 - a majority government will be quite a stretch however.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by luvjos)
I think you’re taking into account those that shout loudest, which is the liberal left. Those that shout loudest though are not necessarily the majority view though.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Absolutely. People thought that the Conservatives would never be in power again after their historic defeat in 1997, in which they secured even fewer seats than Labour did in 2019.

People changes, scandals happen, the public get bored of the status quo, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (6)
4.35%
Confident (14)
10.14%
Indifferent (15)
10.87%
Unsure (30)
21.74%
Worried (73)
52.9%

Watched Threads