James Harden wears 'thin blue line' mask, and the reaction is swift

Watch
Occitanie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...swift-n1234178

I kinda know of James Harden, mainly through a friend of mine who is obsessed with NBA.

The Houston Rockets posted a photo to its social media accounts Thursday of star player James Harden wearing a "thin blue line" mask, and the reaction was swift. Translation: A handful of blue-ticked Twitter activists were outraged.
The "thin blue line" flag is a sign of support for law enforcement that has amid Black Lives Matter protests come to signal opposition to the racial justice movement and support for white supremacy. WHAT?!

Just because you support law enforcement, doesn't mean you're against Black Lives Matter. You can be a supporter of law enforcement AND a supporter of BLM.

All of this for a ****ing mask man...
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
God twitter is a cesspool of self flagellating, moralizing, tosspots.

That being said, every now and then irony slaps them down - like with that JK incident a couple of weeks back after shed lynched some poor Irish reporter on it :lol:
Occitanie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
God twitter is a cesspool of self flagellating, moralizing, tosspots.

That being said, every now and then irony slaps them down - like with that JK incident a couple of weeks back after shed lynched some poor Irish reporter on it :lol:
It's alright for News and such, but I agree, it's full to the brim with self-righteous, backseat activism both Left and Right.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
And now further examples of a gulf between the literal meanings of a symbol versus how it is perceived in a given context.

I think it's reductionist to consider only the literal meaning of imagery, symbols and messaging within this discourse.

I also think it's a dangerous idea to allow us all to invent our own contexts and pretenses with which to perceive something as offensive.

Other than that, I can't see much to this story beyond "twitter people angry", unless there have been any further developments.
Underscore__
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Apparently he didn’t know what it meant and just wore it. Even if we suppose he knew what it was, it’s amazing how ‘anti-fascists’ are so quick to try and silence opposing views, I think there’s a word for people who want to suppress views which don’t conform but I can’t think of what it is
Occitanie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Underscore__)
Apparently he didn’t know what it meant and just wore it. Even if we suppose he knew what it was, it’s amazing how ‘anti-fascists’ are so quick to try and silence opposing views, I think there’s a word for people who want to suppress views which don’t conform but I can’t think of what it is
I think he knew it, but instead of apologising (which usually means you knew what you were doing) he’s pleading ignorance. It’s quite smart of him actually. Means he can avoid an even bigger storm.
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
... as major US cities see sharp increase in violent crime.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/police-...ts-11594472400
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
BLM - YOU CAN'T PAINT ALL BLACK PEOPLE AS THE SAME NEGATIVE THING!!!!!!!!!!

Also BLM - ALL POLICE ARE RACISTS

Another hypocritical movement that probably doesn't stand for what everyone thinks it does then... It's alright to place all cops under the same negative label, but god forbid you do it to a black person...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (59)
42.14%
Take autumn exams (49)
35%
Look for a job (3)
2.14%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.86%
Take a year out (17)
12.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (8)
5.71%

Watched Threads