Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I'm looking to apply for architecture 2008/09.

After basically bombing my A2s (DDD) I took a year out, then did foundation art, and on the basis of that and my portfolio, got an unconditional graphic design offer from UU. So, started that and realised pretty quickly that I absolutely hated it. Stuck it out for a bit longer, hoping it would improve and it certainly didn't, and I knew that architecture is definately where I should've been the past 3 years. Bloody A2s and a far too active social life ruined that for me at the time. So, at the end of last year, round June, I dropped out of my course as I didn't want to start another year of it and waste more money on loans and fee's etc.

This has left me in a tight spot which I desperately want to get out of. Firstly, as ludicrous as it may sound, I know I would be absolutely perfect for architecture. I've always been very creative and my artistic talent is not in question (hate saying it, but its true). I wanted to either do architecture or graphic design when at school but because of my stinking grades I convinced myself I wanted to pursue the graphic design option instead of resitting my A2s.

An unfortunate and probably unadvised series of events really isn't it? Basically, I left it too late to apply to architecture for entry this year, so applying next year, but what do you guys recommend? Is it worthwhile emailing the admissions tutors before I apply to see if they will ever give me an interview so I don't waste a choice? I'm furious with my A2s but my portfolio would be sofa king strong and I have a ridiculously strong desire and passion to do this as a degree. So, how do I get them to give me the time of day with these grades?

As I'm now a "mature student", does that help me in anyway? Grades aside, I feel now I am much better equipped, focussed and prepared to do a degree and do it well than I was when I was at school. Some of us are late developers I guess and I'd hate that to be held against me the rest of my life. I don't want to work in Next anymore. =/

....basically

ReputationRep:
    haha what a story!! well, with a foundation art, you can apply to most places despite the grades. If you can explain the bad grades and have a good art result, with a load of work experience and knowledge on the subject, then i am sure that you get get in somewhere! Just build up your experience for october, apply and see where it gets you; you may be interviewed which could only do you good.

I may have this wrong, but i dont think your bad a levels will stop you if you have a foundation art degree...

ReputationRep:
    you're probably better saying all this to an prospective school - slightly edited of course, and testing the reaction.

ReputationRep:
    Even with an art foundation, I think your chances are still quite steap at the moment. Is there no way you could get in touch with your old sixth form college or find a new one where you can perhaps retake a subject or two to improve your overall grades from between now and july next year (I know that's hard- but it will kind of make up for your years of slacking at school). A-levels aren't a very good measure of your ability, but unfortunately, there are still requirements. If you want to get into a decent uni to study architecture, then that's my advice. Explaining why you got those grades will do you no good either, in fact, I think you'd be better off not mentioning it unless there was another reason besides a highly active social life. If you mention that you're willing to retake a subject or two, and with your art foundation, it will place you at a better position. And since you're a mature student, you're (inevitably) more mature and independent, which is always a good thing.

HOWEVER, before you decide on anything, call different universities, talk to them and see what they'd recommend you do and if DDD + an art foundation is enough to get you an offer/interview.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps look into access courses, as many mature students opt for this route. I'm sorry i can't offer you any more info about them as my knowledge on access courses is pretty much nil, but i know lots of people do them and get into very good universities for competetive courses.

ReputationRep:
    One of my A2s was maths. Although my grades definately don't suggest it, I've always been naturally pretty good at maths, I reckon it would be well within my ability to resit both AS and A2 maths in one year. The other two were Psychology and Geography, which would you suggest out of those two for a 'fast-track' A2? Or would I be better off trying a new one altogether, such as Further Maths?

Cheers for the responses fellas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an.artful.dodger)
    One of my A2s was maths. Although my grades definately don't suggest it, I've always been naturally pretty good at maths, I reckon it would be well within my ability to resit both AS and A2 maths in one year. The other two were Psychology and Geography, which would you suggest out of those two for a 'fast-track' A2? Or would I be better off trying a new one altogether, such as Further Maths?

Cheers for the responses fellas.
    I wouldn't recommend further maths to be done in one year, although I did it and considered myself being very good at maths-I only got a B. That's not saying that the same will happen for you, but it does involve a lot of time and effort to do further maths, and if you are doing ordinary maths too in one year-you might just overdose! It doesn't even help for archi course that much, except maybe the mechanics modules, which you can do in ordinary maths anyway. Do it if you want, but don't think of it as an easy option - it's very difficult in my opinion. I would choose geography as it has some relevance to architecture as perhaps more do-able in a year.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and seeing as I've already spent 2 years learning it, albeit not revising it, it should be a bit easier to do geography.

So, geography and maths would be the best options?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think it would be best to redo subjects you've already studied before as at least you're a bit familiar with them (unless you feel you've pretty much forgotten everything you learnt in them- which in that case it wouldn't matter so much), but yes it's going to be really tough doing it all in a year especially two subjects simultaneously, so choose the subjects you feel you're most confident with, which appears to be geo and maths.

unrelated topic- the artful dodger is my fav oliver twist character, and oliver twist is one of my fav movies. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Did you do foundation art at UU? (I assume UU = university of Ulster?) Did you ask if you could have transferred from Graphic Design to Architecture? If you already studied there you could maybe ask one of your tutors for advice, maybe have a good word put in and see if your Art Foundation degree is enough to get you in? I'd say they get a good lot of people from the foundation course given they're on the same campus!
    Might be worthwhile doing A levels this year so you can show you're comitted to getting in, or you could get work experience at an architects office. I'd phone around the places you want to apply and see if they which they think is the best option. You could also check if there are any places available in clearing (it's a long shot now and waiting til next year could probably get you a better place but you could get lucky?).

ReputationRep:
    Nah I did my foundation at BIFHE, so as not to spend any money on it. Haha. I'll get on the phone this week, see what they recommend.

ReputationRep:
    ah well, you still have a good chance of getting in with just foundation art even if they don't know you already. I was at an open day for Queens and asked the guy if I did foundation art would I still be able to come back and do architecture there and he said I could as they are always looking for people with different backgrounds or words to that effect... Good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 1, 2008

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.