ILoveSunsets
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently studying BA Hons Early years education and in the future I would love to be a early years or KS1 teacher. I was wondering what the options are if you don't have GCSE science? Can you retake it online or I've heard you can do an equivalency test? What other routes can I take? Is there any other career paths I can take apart from teaching with my degree?
sunrisee
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I'm not sure about equivalency GCSE science tests but for career paths perhaps look into working with educational charities like the Sutton Trust, Teach First & Action Tutoring? I think Sutton Trust and Action Tutoring are currently advertising for jobs
xxgreenxx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ILoveSunsets)
I'm currently studying BA Hons Early years education and in the future I would love to be a early years or KS1 teacher. I was wondering what the options are if you don't have GCSE science? Can you retake it online or I've heard you can do an equivalency test? What other routes can I take? Is there any other career paths I can take apart from teaching with my degree?
equivalency test should be fine! I think most places accept it, I am studying for my science equivalency test now with a star equivalency test. I've already been accepted for my teacher training but I have to pass this first to continue! hope that helps! good luck
Wagwhat
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by xxgreenxx)
equivalency test should be fine! I think most places accept it, I am studying for my science equivalency test now with a star equivalency test. I've already been accepted for my teacher training but I have to pass this first to continue! hope that helps! good luck
Hey, did you do combined science or biology with a star equivalency? I’ve just bought the biology course one
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ILoveSunsets)
Hello ILoveSunsets

Hope you are enjoying your summer break! What year are you in of your degree? Teaching Early Years or in KS1 tends to require you to have a science GCSE, if you do a course leading to Qualified Teaching Status. (QTS) Therefore, if you have time to get the actual GCSE qualification, it does widen your options, as not ALL teacher training course providers accept equivalent qualifications.

A Get into Teaching adviser can help you to navigate your options!

Wishing you all the best, Jane
_becoming_mr_c
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am in exactly the same boat (needing GCSE Science) to remain on my forthcoming PGCE. I've got to take an equivalency test in two weeks time. I have three attempts at it. So it could be worth researching universities that accept or offer equivalency tests if you want to go down that route.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (158)
54.67%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (42)
14.53%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (33)
11.42%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
4.84%

Watched Threads