Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does microwaving veg lose much of its nutrients? Recently I've been buying the chilled pre packed veg and popping them into the microwave for 3mins purely for the convenience since 1 pack is a perfect amount along with meals.

ReputationRep:
    Well cooking removes the 'goodness' anyway - but I dunno if microwaves are better or worse than boiling or grilling.

ReputationRep:
    With veg, any cooking reduces the amount of good nutrients and what-not, but microwaving is generally worse. Microwaves cook things from the centre; they make the food molecules (stay with me ) vibrate, giving friction and heat, and cooking the food. This way of cooking it kills off more enzymes, nutrients etc.

Best thing to do is to put a pan on, getting hot while you boil the kettle. The water will go straight back to boiling if the pan is hot when you empty the kettle into it, so not much waiting around. The veg should be kinda 'al dente' (firm-ish) in 3 mins in boiling water, 5mins for it to be softer. Less cooking = more nutrients.

ReputationRep:
    Steaming is the best way to preserve nutrients in vegetables, and it's really easy. If you have a steamer (it's like a pan, and you get another pan with holes in the bottom to fit on top of it) you can steam vegetables. You basically put water in the bottom pan (if you're doing potatoes or something, you can cook them in the bottom pan) and then put the vegetables you want to steam in the top one and put the lid on. Things like broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, carrots, etc all taste way better when steamed.

ReputationRep:
    Oh God.
    You do not even want to know what I misread the thread title as...
    :eek4:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    Oh God.
    You do not even want to know what I misread the thread title as...
    :eek4:
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VinceNoir)
    With veg, any cooking reduces the amount of good nutrients and what-not, but microwaving is generally worse. Microwaves cook things from the centre; they make the food molecules (stay with me ) vibrate, giving friction and heat, and cooking the food. This way of cooking it kills off more enzymes, nutrients etc.
    Popular myth but wrong all the same.
    Although heat is produced directly in the food, microwave ovens do not cook food from the "inside out." When thick foods are cooked, the outer layers are heated and cooked primarily by microwaves while the inside is cooked mainly by the conduction of heat from the hot outer layers.
    Microwave cooking can be more energy efficient than conventional cooking because foods cook faster and the energy heats only the food, not the whole oven compartment. Microwave cooking does not reduce the nutritional value of foods any more than conventional cooking. In fact, foods cooked in a microwave oven may keep more of their vitamins and minerals, because microwave ovens can cook more quickly and without adding water.
    From http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/consumer/microwave.html
    and
    Do microwaves cook food from the inside out?
    No. Microwaves penetrate the food to a depth of 1 to 1½ inches. In thicker pieces of food, the microwaves don't reach the center. That area would cook by conduction of heat from the outer areas of the food into the middle.
    From http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FactSheets/...ty/index.asp#3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    :confused:
    You dont want to know. I'm not going to tell.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.