Is Calais safe now?

Watch
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm thinking of coming to UK by car, I know it's an expensive option, but the idea is to deliver a car, and driving it through the continent would assure the buyer the car is in excellent shape.

The point is, in the last few years, cars driving to the tunnel were frequently attacked by our guests. Do you know maybe what is the situation now? I know the French authorities were trying to move the guests elswhere, but I also read it didn't exactly help.
Advertisement
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
For what it's worth I've heard that there are less er... guests around Calais nowadays.

If you're really that worried take a ferry or go from another French port.
LTEcactus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Caught the boat from Calais a few years ago, it was absolutely fine. There's a huge barbed wire fence around the port, and you have armed police searching all the cars for illegal immigrants.
Advertisement
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah I think it's all about rubber boats these days

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-52599696
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/n...ossing-230269/
NonIndigenous
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
"guests" lol

I like this.

I recall some article saying someone lost their job for strapping bacon to their truck bumper, or something like it.

The "guests" don't normally target cars. They target lorries, vans, large vehicles which they can easily hide in.
Advertisement
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by NonIndigenous)
"guests" lol

I like this.

I recall some article saying someone lost their job for strapping bacon to their truck bumper, or something like it.

The "guests" don't normally target cars. They target lorries, vans, large vehicles which they can easily hide in.
Hope I'm not being thick but what does someone taping bacon to a truck have to do with the guests?
Is it something to do with guests' dietary requirements?
bigballer69
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Hope I'm not being thick but what does someone taping bacon to a truck have to do with the guests?
Is it something to do with guests' dietary requirements?
not dietary requirements but rather religious reasons, to protect the truck
Advertisement
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by bigballer69)
not dietary requirements but rather religious reasons, to protect the truck
That was what I was getting at. Since OP has been using very vague language in his post I've been playing along.

I'd imagine the driver responsible got fired because of the obvious Equalities Act violations that having a truck that Muslims can't touch would cause. If you make it so that Muslim and Jewish employees can't do their jobs you're opening yourself up to an employment tribunal.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
I'm thinking of coming to UK by car, I know it's an expensive option, but the idea is to deliver a car, and driving it through the continent would assure the buyer the car is in excellent shape.

The point is, in the last few years, cars driving to the tunnel were frequently attacked by our guests. Do you know maybe what is the situation now? I know the French authorities were trying to move the guests elswhere, but I also read it didn't exactly help.
Frequently?

I don't think so.

You are more likely to be involved in some random road accident during your journey than you are to be attacked by anyone. And yet you don't seem to be concerned about the prospect of an accident?

Fears are one thing, but when they are detached from the reality of the situation and a mountain is made of a molehill that's another.
Advertisement
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by NonIndigenous)
Yes, but I've seen videos showing they were putting obstacles on the road to slow down the lorries, passenger cars were damaged too, especially when they were trying to stop them also, to make a baricade.

(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
You are more likely to be involved in some random road accident during your journey than you are to be attacked by anyone. And yet you don't seem to be concerned about the prospect of an accident?
I didn't read books, destroy whole sets of tires and repeatedly set brakes on literall fire to be even remotely as likely to have an accident like an average driver. Unlike most drivers, if I have a passenger I also require him to remain silent, so I can concentrate on observation. So no, I would be much more afraid of the car being damaged by transport company and then and difficulties related to getting a compensation for it.

In other words, I have means to minimise chances of an accident, but I do not have means to protect the car from groups of law-breakers.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
Yes, but I've seen videos showing they were putting obstacles on the road to slow down the lorries, passenger cars were damaged too, especially when they were trying to stop them also, to make a baricade.

I didn't read books, destroy whole sets of tires and repeatedly set brakes on literall fire to be even remotely as likely to have an accident like an average driver. Unlike most drivers, if I have a passenger I also require him to remain silent, so I can concentrate on observation. So no, I would be much more afraid of the car being damaged by transport company and then and difficulties related to getting a compensation for it.

In other words, I have means to minimise chances of an accident, but I do not have means to protect the car from groups of law-breakers.
Even with you taking all the precautions possible to avoid a road accident, you are still more likely to be involved in one than to be attacked by a group of people as you approach the ferry / tunnel terminal.

The chances of you getting attacked are that low. Like winning the lottery jackpot two weeks in a row low.
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (140)
37.33%
Take autumn exams (119)
31.73%
Look for a job (11)
2.93%
Consider an apprenticeship (16)
4.27%
Take a year out (66)
17.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
6.13%

Watched Threads