sophia2607
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i’m really stuck rn and nervous. quite obviously we haven’t got our gcse results back but i just want to know which one of these subjects is easier, of course it depends on how good i am but i’m about a 6 in both. i don’t want to do both as i feel that would be too much content and too hard x pls can someone advise me as i’m worried asl x thanks
lol i wrote this whole thing w/o saying the two subjects - they are biology and chemistry
Last edited by sophia2607; 1 year ago
bored_user:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I tried taking Biology but I did take Chemistry last year. Overall I would say that chemistry is definitely harder content wise and how much you have to memorise and it is super difficult. However Biology has difficult mark schemes. Either way, Chemistry will open up more options for you.
Kogomogo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends if you're naturally good at any of them. I would say for me chemistry was harder overall, i got a lot more the feeling you had to really know how and why the concepts work, and the exams i took would have some questions that would try and deliberately trip you up. I think it requires a solid level of comfort with a range of subjects too, it's chemistry but draws on an understanding of some maths, physics and biology too. I think that may be why some find it more difficult overall, like some parts you may find easy but other parts may be more challenging since it can be so variable. I would say i did well for the organic chemistry, but struggled a lot more with inorganics (i think the former leaned more bio, the latter more physics). I would say it was a very rewarding subject to learn though, building a good level of understanding of how things work at a molecular level and that helps with a deeper understanding in other subjects too. I found it pairs very nicely with biology and imagine it would be good for studying alongside physics too.

Biology can be a range of stuff too, but i think it builds a lot more on gcse rather than introducing loads of new ideas. I remember it being stuff like knowing how organs work, immunology pathways, evolutionary mechanisms etc. It has been a long time though since i studied a levels. I did better in biology grade wise in the end.

What other subjects do you plan on studying, and which might complement your interests better?
Last edited by Kogomogo; 1 year ago
username5027880
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Omg. Chemistry ⚗ is so much harder than Biology in my opinion.
I did take both at GCSE, level, but Chemistry took alot more thinking about!!!! Xx
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
are you thinking of taking either subject for a level or are you just asking about the difficulty of these at gcse? :confused:
biology and chemistry are both regarded as difficult a levels- most people find the volume of content and application to exam questions as the hardest aspect of a level biology. chemistry isn't much easier at all though.
username5173262
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well as many people will say, it depends on your natural talents etc - but based on the range of content and the differences in questions they give you, I would say chemistry is usually (if not always) the harder subject.
kelsiepalfrey
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i take both and find chemistry harder
sophia2607
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kogomogo)
Depends if you're naturally good at any of them. I would say for me chemistry was harder overall, i got a lot more the feeling you had to really know how and why the concepts work, and the exams i took would have some questions that would try and deliberately trip you up. I think it requires a solid level of comfort with a range of subjects too, it's chemistry but draws on an understanding of some maths, physics and biology too. I think that may be why some find it more difficult overall, like some parts you may find easy but other parts may be more challenging since it can be so variable. I would say i did well for the organic chemistry, but struggled a lot more with inorganics (i think the former leaned more bio, the latter more physics). I would say it was a very rewarding subject to learn though, building a good level of understanding of how things work at a molecular level and that helps with a deeper understanding in other subjects too. I found it pairs very nicely with biology and imagine it would be good for studying alongside physics too.

Biology can be a range of stuff too, but i think it builds a lot more on gcse rather than introducing loads of new ideas. I remember it being stuff like knowing how organs work, immunology pathways, evolutionary mechanisms etc. It has been a long time though since i studied a levels. I did better in biology grade wise in the end.

What other subjects do you plan on studying, and which might complement your interests better?
i plan on doing psychology and english language as well i’m about a 6 in science so i’m not sure how imma cope at A Level as i believe it’s to be harder
username5323908
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not into science and probably failed it as a whole but I think biology is generally easier. I think so and so do most people I've asked.
sophia2607
Rep:
?
(Original post by absolutelysprout)
are you thinking of taking either subject for a level or are you just asking about the difficulty of these at gcse? :confused:
biology and chemistry are both regarded as difficult a levels- most people find the volume of content and application to exam questions as the hardest aspect of a level biology. chemistry isn't much easier at all though.
i was thinking of taking them both for a level but i wasn’t too sure as i’m not that great in science ( grade 6 overall) my gcse target grade was a 6
sophia2607
Rep:
?
(Original post by Karisa96)
Omg. Chemistry ⚗ is so much harder than Biology in my opinion.
I did take both at GCSE, level, but Chemistry took alot more thinking about!!!! Xx
i’m still not too sure if i want to do chemistry as there are no other subjects i could fill that subject in for ;/ i feel chemistry is going to be way too hard as i’m not that strong in maths xx but idk if it’s worth it and is it stressful xxxx
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sophia2607)
i was thinking of taking them both for a level but i wasn’t too sure as i’m not that great in science ( grade 6 overall) my gcse target grade was a 6
they are both very difficult subjects, you may struggle with a 6 at gcse- if you're not very good in science it might be better to take other subjects instead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.79%
Uncertainty around my education (85)
11.44%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.63%
Lack of purpose or motivation (95)
12.79%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.25%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (42)
5.65%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (80)
10.77%
Financial worries (50)
6.73%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.31%
Exposure to negative news/social media (46)
6.19%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.23%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (71)
9.56%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.67%

Watched Threads