Turn on thread page Beta

Britain's happiest people live in a rural county in Wales, according to researchers. Is your happiness dependent on where you live?

Research has found that Powys in Wales is the happiest of 273 districts, while Edinburgh residents are the most miserable.

Eight of the top ten districts with the highest levels of wellbeing are in Scotland or the north of England.

However, other factors such as employment, health and educational qualifications were found to have a greater effect on happiness than geographical location.

What is the country's happiest city? What do you think makes a district happy? Are you happy where you live? What could make your community happier?

Read the full story (on the BBC website)

ReputationRep:
    probably somewhere in croydon or lewisham in south london

ReputationRep:
    Not Slough.

I seem to recall a TV show called 'Making Slough Happy' because it's that depressive.

ReputationRep:
    Whereever i am

ReputationRep:
    Manchester second? Yeah maybe, if it wasn't full of Mancunians...

It also says that Sutton is one of the happiest areas in the south, I call ******** because Sutton is a dump :yep:

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: or anyway in the northwest

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham

ReputationRep:
    I don't think your happiness is directly linked to where you live (although I am sure it is a factor of it).

Personally, I'm happy where I live (Manchester) for what it is worth.

ReputationRep:
    my head I think, I'm always happy

ReputationRep:
    There was some study a while back that showed that countries where people didnt move up and down the social/financial ladder much were way happier (like the majority of Africa, etc)

Suggesting that the USA having the "american dream" would make it very unhappy, since it is also very easy to start at the top and end up at the bottom, and everything is all a bit hard to predict

ReputationRep:
    BANGOR north wales

ReputationRep:
    Heathrow airport departures lounge for flight 8:24 to Aukland, NZ.

ReputationRep:
    Belmarsh?

ReputationRep:
    I think definitely up north or in the midlands.

ReputationRep:
    Probably somewhere like the Isle of Lewis

ReputationRep:
    I bet Bridgend is a barrel of laughs.

ReputationRep:
    Slough is more strange than miserable. I've never seen such a large collection of insane people o_o

And I'm surprised Edinburgh is more miserable than London! Every time I walk the streets, I encounter a sea of miserable faces. Or maybe that's just me...

ReputationRep:
    I'd have to go for TSR or Barking.

ReputationRep:
    Glastonbury, the people in the town were really pleasant

ReputationRep:
    Isle of wight is pretty awesome and happy for old ppl ^_^

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.