Maths - Basic Analysis Result

Watch
BrandonS15
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Good Morning,

I’m currently reading through the STEP preparation book and I’ve come across this idea which I haven’t actually seen before, its a basic analysis statement stating this:
Name:  2B295B9C-319B-47F7-BDAB-F16AE703AE86.jpg.jpeg
Views: 7
Size:  15.5 KB
So to better understand it, I’ve tried to use an example and see if it works and currently I’m not getting a correct result, using an example I yield k/2 as the maximum area whereas the analysis statement gives k/4 so where have I supposedly gone wrong here?
Workings:
Name:  D33D2BF0-2693-42F3-B08C-BB0FAEFD845C.jpg.jpeg
Views: 5
Size:  24.8 KB

Many thanks in advance.
ghostwalker
Badges: 17
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BrandonS15)
Good Morning,

I’m currently reading through the STEP preparation book and I’ve come across this idea which I haven’t actually seen before, its a basic analysis statement stating this:
Name:  2B295B9C-319B-47F7-BDAB-F16AE703AE86.jpg.jpeg
Views: 7
Size:  15.5 KB
So to better understand it, I’ve tried to use an example and see if it works and currently I’m not getting a correct result, using an example I yield k/2 as the maximum area whereas the analysis statement gives k/4 so where have I supposedly gone wrong here?
Workings:
Name:  D33D2BF0-2693-42F3-B08C-BB0FAEFD845C.jpg.jpeg
Views: 5
Size:  24.8 KB

Many thanks in advance.

Where did your b-a=k/4 come from - on the extremem right?
BrandonS15
Rep:
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Where did your b-a=k/4 come from - on the extremem right?
I’m equating the given area from the statement (b-a)k and the computed area (1/4k)k hence getting b-a =1/4k if the statement holds then they would equal, so I’m guessing I’ve made a mistake somewhere?
b is the upper bound while a is the lower bound as suggested in the statement for analysis
Last edited by BrandonS15; 1 year ago
ghostwalker
Report 1 year ago
I’m equating the given area from the statement (b-a)k and the computed area (1/4k)k hence getting b-a =1/4k if the statement holds then they would equal, so I’m guessing I’ve made a mistake somewhere?
b is the upper bound while a is the lower bound as suggested in the statement for analysis
But they're not equal.

Your actual area under the curve between 0 and (k-6)/2 is \frac{k^2}{4}

The analysis statement says the area is less than (b-a)k which works out to \frac{k^2}{2}

This diagram may help:

The analysis statement gives the area in the green rectangle. And the integral gives the area shaded in red.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  21.8 KB
Last edited by ghostwalker; 1 year ago
BrandonS15
Rep:
But they're not equal.

Your actual area under the curve between 0 and (k-6)/2 is \frac{k^2}{4}

The analysis statement says the area is less than (b-a)k which works out to \frac{k^2}{2}

This diagram may help:

The analysis statement gives the area in the green rectangle. And the integral gives the area shaded in red.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  21.8 KB
I see, doesn’t the analysis statement give the minimum and maximum possible area for f(x) under its function when the range is restricted from 0 to k? So using my example of f(x) I don’t understand how what I’ve computed isn’t the maximum area which should equal the maximum area given by the analysis statement?
ghostwalker
Report 1 year ago
I see, doesn’t the analysis statement give the minimum and maximum possible area for f(x) under its function when the range is restricted from 0 to k? So using my example of f(x) I don’t understand how what I’ve computed isn’t the maximum area which should equal the maximum area given by the analysis statement?
I edited my previous post to include a diagram, which might help clarify things.
BrandonS15
Rep:
I edited my previous post to include a diagram, which might help clarify things.
Doesn’t the integral in the analysis statement mean area under f(x) between a and b and so wouldn’t it also be the red area? As thats what my current understanding it and therefore I’m letting the two equal in my workings, if not then I’m not understanding why the analysis statement doesn’t mean this because its saying the area between bounds a and b can go from a minimum of 0 to a maximum of (b-a)k and using my example I have computed the maximum area under f(x) as per the analysis statement which leads me to the contradiction as the end
ghostwalker
Report 1 year ago
Doesn’t the integral in the analysis statement mean area under f(x) between a and b and so wouldn’t it also be the red area? As thats what my current understanding it and therefore I’m letting the two equal in my workings, if not then I’m not understanding why the analysis statement doesn’t mean this because its saying the area between bounds a and b can go from a minimum of 0 to a maximum of (b-a)k and using my example I have computed the maximum area under f(x) as per the analysis statement which leads me to the contradiction as the end
Yes, the red area represents the area under f(x) between a and b, in the analysis statement.

BUT, the analysis statement is saying this area is less than or equal to the area of the rectangle; the width (a times b) times the height (k).

You've chosen an inteval that depends on k. That's not a requirement of the analysis statement.

The statement itself, is intuitively obvious. It's saying, if k is greater than the maximum height of the curve, then the area under the curve is less than the width of the inverval times k.

For the area to go from 0 to the maximum of (b-a)k you'd need to chose different functions.

For a given a,b,k, to get the minimum value you'd need to choose y=0, and to get the maximum value you'd choose y=k as your functions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (35)
7.34%
October 2021 (216)
45.28%
November 2021 (54)
11.32%
December 2021 (62)
13%
January 2021 (54)
11.32%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (41)
8.6%