Kate3684
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi guys, I’m really really stuck on which of the two to do. I was set on A-levels doing Maths, physics and chemistry. But all of a sudden I have an urge to do IB and can do it at the IB school of the year.

The application das has already passed but people have said with good GCSE results, you can just go to the school on results day and ask them to consider you?

I know IB will be extremely difficult but I have good time management skills and A levels feel slightly limiting.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated
Thank you
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My general opinion is if you know you want to go into a science field, A-levels are usually better so you can focus purely on the relevant science and maths content (especially if you can take A-level Further Maths). For medicine/other clinical courses, and most other things, the breadth of IB can be a benefit - not in terms of admissions, just in terms of developing useful transferable skills that will help during your degree. Just depends on what you want to do and what you do best in.

I reiterate IB will not be any better for admissions than A-levels in any respect assuming you take the same HL subjects as in A-level, since you will have exactly the same range of degree programmes you could apply to, and it's in no way "preferred". Arguably it's often harder to get the set IB equivalent grades to A-level grades for a lot of "top" universities, at least it felt they were disproportionate when I was in IB given the amount of work we all put in
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (165)
38.28%
Take autumn exams (131)
30.39%
Look for a job (16)
3.71%
Consider an apprenticeship (19)
4.41%
Take a year out (73)
16.94%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
6.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed