The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Move in with me. I'm close to murdering one of my housemates at the moment anyway.
Haha I would have so flipped on your flatmate by now.

I think you should move out. You shouldn't have to put up with an ******* like that.
Reply 42
I would think your roomates behaviour should be the issue here, not the fact he found out about your problem. Move out of the house, this guy is not healthy for you in the slightest, he's a waster and will drain you emotionally and physically. He has no right to behave like that in the house, I am frankly surprised you haven't lamped him yet.
Reply 43
DavidYork

If he DOES say anything about, just laugh it off and say, "What?? Alcoholic? I must be a pretty rubbish one cause I have only drank once in the 14 months. You drink more than I do." and that'll shut him up. Most people aren't clued up enough to suss it out, that's why it can be so easy for alcoholics to hide their problems for so long.

Well done for going a year+ alcohol free!! I admire you for that.

The first four weeks were agony. I was invited to the pub by drinking buddies and even went clubbing a few times completely sober, but idn't enjoy it. I think that really is an exclusively drinking environment.

The amount of booze in my room is appalling though. From a supposed non-drinker to someone who puts away about 90 pints in a week--most of them just watching films and writing in his room alone--surely would set alarm bells ringing in even the thickest of skulls? I know that if I attempt to criticize him on any aspect of his behaviour--and I'm a placid guy with a high tolerance level for ********, so don't do this regularly--he can just throw back, "well at least I'm not an alky." I hate the condition I have.

It makes me so ashamed that I can't engage in a social activity which to most people is completely normal and relatively harmless. I feel as though I've let down my family, girls I've been with, and friends whose parents I've insulted randomly while intoxicated. I am such a different man when drunk, and most of my shame comes from the types of things I say. That's where my depression came from the mornings after drinking, and that's what got me into hair of the dog and full blown alcoholism in the first place. It's a vicious cycle which I knew had to be broken, but with time it became much easier.
Reply 44
Anonymous
You can get reassigned, but I'm not sure I want the abuse he would throw at me and threats to out me.

Try not to care about that. You control your life, prospects, and future. He doesn't.

Try also to not feel ashamed about falling off the bandwagon and not being able to go to the pub. You have done so well so far. Many people have recovered before you and will recover after you - you can do the same :smile:
Reply 45
topic title was somewhat misleading and the post read like it belonged in a novel it dragged on for that long.

..I'll never get that 5 mins back :mad:
It seems as if you really want to make your friendship with this complete moron work, but obviously it's not working.
I suggest you move out the first chance you get. It really is not worth living with people who are going to treat you like that.
I think this story, from my own life, is of particular relevance to you...

I used to have this friend called James, we'd known each other since we were little until I moved house. We used to play round each others houses, all day, everyday.

We did all the things little kids would do together; playing stick wars, riding bikes, making swings... but he always had this obsession with tractors. Whatever we did, he tried to inject some of his tractor enthusiasm into it; we'd make swings out of tractor tyres, and he even owned a small pushable tractor instead of a bike.

As he got older, this obsession seemed to gradually take control of him and we drifted apart. As I got older my interests naturally changed, but for James It was always tractors. I would ask if he wanted to come out with the lads, but he'd always have something more important to do, like buying new tractor posters or collecting more miniature tractors... so eventually me and my best friend James drifted apart, which I kind of regret.

Anyways, a few years ago I saw James on the way back from collecting GCSE results from college... in an actual tractor! The crazy fool was still in love with tractors, and now even had his own.

He eventually persuaded me to go back to his house to look at his huge tractor collection, and I reluctantly obliged and so off we went... but when we got up to his room, the room was completely bare!

Everything that was tractor related had gone. I sat on his bed, which no longer had a spread on it (I assume he had had a tractor duvet), as James engaged in a massive argument with his mother.

I could hear the argument from upstairs, and it lasted a lengthy 30 minutes. Apparently James' mum had decided to end his unhealthy obsession with tractors, and whilst he was out had cleared out all of his tractor stuff and even sold his tractor!

James came back upstairs, eyes streaming... I tried to console my old friend, but despite my best efforts he cried for hours. Eventually I managed to persuade James to come to the pub, to meet everyone for results day celebrations.

The night progressed, and for the first time EVER James was interacting with new people, and there wasn't a single bit of tractor paraphernalia! Although we were only sat around a table in a small group, It was a big step and he actually looked proud of himself, even slightly confident!

Throughout the night James had been staring at this gorgeous girl at the bar, and after much prodding from me, he went to the bar to ask the girl out.

The two really seemed to hit it off instantly, and after a good 15 minutes of small talk James asked the girl if she fancied a dance. However, as this happened a few years ago before the public smoking ban had been introduced the air was thick was smoke. Fearing for her safety on the dancefloor (Aswell as being very hot, she was also partially blind), the temptress rejected James.

James looked forlorn, and was about to give up when a fantastic idea overcame him. He jumped up onto the bar, unbuttoned his trousers , yanking down his y-fronts and displayed his very hairy bottom!

The room silenced, and everyone's gaze fixed on James' spread cheeks for what seemed like an eternity; when all of a sudden he inhaled forcefully and all the smoke vanished up his arse in a spiral of smoke!

The whole room erupted in applause, what a great party trick!

As the cheers settled down, the lanlord belted out "Who the hell are you, and what on earth was that!?". James span around, a beaming grin on his face and exclaimed,

"I'm James, and I'm an ex tractor fan!"
Reply 48
Move out asap! And tell your fiancé, she'll understand if you're honest about it and help you through it again. Trust her to do that - she cares about you, she is your fiancé after all.
Reply 49
There is something really odd about that story...

You sound like an angsty, conservative, middle-class American, no offense intended
originalname

I used to have this friend called James, we'd known each other since we were little until I moved house. We used to play round each others houses, all day, everyday.

We did all the things little kids would do together; playing stick wars, riding bikes, making swings... but he always had this obsession with tractors. Whatever we did, he tried to inject some of his tractor enthusiasm into it; we'd make swings out of tractor tyres, and he even owned a small pushable tractor instead of a bike.

As he got older, this obsession seemed to gradually take control of him and we drifted apart. As I got older my interests naturally changed, but for James It was always tractors. I would ask if he wanted to come out with the lads, but he'd always have something more important to do, like buying new tractor posters or collecting more miniature tractors... so eventually me and my best friend James drifted apart, which I kind of regret.

Anyways, a few years ago I saw James on the way back from collecting GCSE results from college... in an actual tractor! The crazy fool was still in love with tractors, and now even had his own.

He eventually persuaded me to go back to his house to look at his huge tractor collection, and I reluctantly obliged and so off we went... but when we got up to his room, the room was completely bare!

Everything that was tractor related had gone. I sat on his bed, which no longer had a spread on it (I assume he had had a tractor duvet), as James engaged in a massive argument with his mother.

I could hear the argument from upstairs, and it lasted a lengthy 30 minutes. Apparently James' mum had decided to end his unhealthy obsession with tractors, and whilst he was out had cleared out all of his tractor stuff and even sold his tractor!

James came back upstairs, eyes streaming... I tried to console my old friend, but despite my best efforts he cried for hours. Eventually I managed to persuade James to come to the pub, to meet everyone for results day celebrations.

The night progressed, and for the first time EVER James was interacting with new people, and there wasn't a single bit of tractor paraphernalia! Although we were only sat around a table in a small group, It was a big step and he actually looked proud of himself, even slightly confident!

Throughout the night James had been staring at this gorgeous girl at the bar, and after much prodding from me, he went to the bar to ask the girl out.

The two really seemed to hit it off instantly, and after a good 15 minutes of small talk James asked the girl if she fancied a dance. However, as this happened a few years ago before the public smoking ban had been introduced the air was thick was smoke. Fearing for her safety on the dancefloor (Aswell as being very hot, she was also partially blind), the temptress rejected James.

James looked forlorn, and was about to give up when a fantastic idea overcame him. He jumped up onto the bar, unbuttoned his trousers , yanking down his y-fronts and displayed his very hairy bottom!

The room silenced, and everyone's gaze fixed on James' spread cheeks for what seemed like an eternity; when all of a sudden he inhaled forcefully and all the smoke vanished up his arse in a spiral of smoke!

As the cheers settled down, the lanlord belted out "Who the hell are you, and what on earth was that!?". James span around, a beaming grin on his face and exclaimed,

WTF?
Reply 51
saoirse
There is something really odd about that story...

You sound like an angsty, conservative, middle-class American, no offense intended

I'm not really sure what to say to that. Angsty maybe, perhaps middle-class, but conservative and American, no. What makes you say I'm either of the latter two?
Reply 52
originalname

:biggrin:

Random thread gets random response.

This story would be more appropriate when it comes to secrets and flatmates:

A young man called John invited his mother over for dinner.
During the course of the meal, his mother couldn't help but notice how handsome John's flatmate was.
She had long been suspicious of a relationship between the two, and this only made her more curious.
Over the course of the evening, while watching the two interact, she started to wonder if there was more between John and his flatmate than met the eye.
Reading his Mum's thoughts, John volunteered, "I know what you must be thinking, but I assure you, Simon and I are just flatmates."
About a week later, Simon came to John saying, "Ever since your mother came to dinner I've been unable to find the beautiful silver gravy ladle. You don't suppose she took it, do you?"
"Well, I doubt it, but I'll email her just to be sure", said John.
So he sat down and wrote:
Dear Mother,
I'm not saying that you 'did' take the gravy ladle from my house, I'm not saying that you 'did not' take the gravy ladle, but the fact remains that it has been missing ever since you were here for dinner.
Love, John

Several days later John received an email from his Mother which read:
Dear Son,
I'm not saying that you 'do' sleep with Simon, and I'm not saying that you 'do not' sleep with Simon, but the fact remains that if he was sleeping in his own bed he would have found the gravy ladle by now.
Love, Mum
Lesson of the day: Don't Ever Lie to Your Mother
Complex Simplicity
WTF?

oh come on! that's a classic joke ._.

He sucked in the smoke... he's an extractor fan.
OP- you need to move out, you can't keep living with someone who makes your life a living hell, and think of the money you'd save in electricity.

Also tbh I don't think this person would be intelligent enough to realise you had an alcohol problem. He's probably pissed off because you don't drink with him.

In the unlikely event he does realise and contacts your boss there are a few options:
1) explain now that you are having problems with your house mate and that you are worried he will start trying to blackmail you by using the company- either explain you are a recovering alcoholic or just say he's being vindictive
2) Wait until he contacts the company and then explain the situation- again up to you if you denigh the alcoholism or not

Whatever your house mate does, as long as you don't let the alcohol affect your performance at work and the company can't sack you. Let the alcohol affect your performance and it wont matter if your house mate contacts them or not

I can't tell from your posts if you are now back on the wagon or not, but if not please make sure you seek the help you need and don't let this disease (or this idiot house mate) ruin your life
Reply 55
Mental illness. This sounds like a case of "spoilt bitch syndrome".
Reply 56
originalname

I had the same joke (well, told differently but the same ending) told to me in spoken word the other day. It took absolutely forever to get to the end, it was horrible. Funny though :biggrin:
I had the same joke (well, told differently but the same ending) told to me in spoken word the other day. It took absolutely forever to get to the end, it was horrible. Funny though :biggrin:

:biggrin: It's brilliant. The first time I heard It was at some summer school thing on the first day... we were sat round in a circle in silence, so the leader person said he'd tell us a story to break the silence.

He told it perfectly, I was suckered in all the way :P The whole room booed when he got to the punchline after 10 mins.

The one about the cycle paths is top banana too.
Your room mate is a prick Move out!
i don't like violence or advocate it, you should have bought some beer bottles while down at the shop and ******* smashed it over his head, then proceeded to beat the **** out of him.

Latest

Trending

Trending