The Student Room Group

A Level Choices if I do Maths at Uni

So I want to do either Physics or Politics at a levels, but I'm currently unsure as to which one to do. I'm anticipating that I will be able to do Physics decently easily and get a good mark (I'm doing Further maths and chem as well), but I'm far more interested in Politics. Is Politics interesting or am I better off taking Physics and looking into Politics and debating in my own time?

As mentioned, I definitely want to do maths at university.
Reply 1
I think go for politics. Whilst people sometimes recommend A-level physics for people taking maths at uni, the content in a maths degree is so far removed from the stuff you do in A-level physics that I don't see how it could confer any advantage even if you do go down the applied maths route.
Given that you want to do maths at uni, and you are already doing Maths and Further Maths (and even Chemistry), I would say go for Politics as your last A Level.

I did maths at Uni and was in the same position as you and chose Geography over Physics. The reason being the exact same reason you're saying: I liked Geography more.

There's no doubt that you'll do well at Physics at A Level, but I think you will enjoy your last two years a lot more if you chose Politics as that's the subject you like.

Plus, having those researching and essay writing skills will be really good for you and hopefully show you as a more rounded person when you apply to uni.
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Politics will enable you to still study Natural Sciences at Cambridge or Chemistry at Oxford or even Oxbridge Maths and PPE at Oxford too. So do Politics as essays will make it easier to handle the TSA and write a better personal statement for UCAS.
heyyyy thx for the advice - if i want to apply for the 'top' unis, will it make a difference if i don't do as well in politics? also i've just checked who the teachers are and idk they don't look as exciting as history, but the same level as the physics teachers.
Original post by loststarsatnight
heyyyy thx for the advice - if i want to apply for the 'top' unis, will it make a difference if i don't do as well in politics? also i've just checked who the teachers are and idk they don't look as exciting as history, but the same level as the physics teachers.

Usually if you have A*AAB you might be accepted but some Oxbridge colleges set A*A*A in Maths, Further Maths and A in Chem and the Politics would be a A or B.
Reply 6
Definitely Politics for you. I made the mistake of going with engineering over politics as I thought it was the more “sensible and career enhancing option” despite the fact I was more interested in politics. After wasting a year and 9k of my own money, I’ve now started a politics course and find it much more enjoyable and rewarding. Learn from my mistake.
So I want to do either Physics or Politics at a levels, but I'm currently unsure as to which one to do. I'm anticipating that I will be able to do Physics decently easily and get a good mark (I'm doing Further maths and chem as well), but I'm far more interested in Politics. Is Politics interesting or am I better off taking Physics and looking into Politics and debating in my own time?

As mentioned, I definitely want to do maths at university.

Def go for politics because if you're more interested in it you're going to do better in the subject. AAA would be better than ABB
Reply 8

The offers you get will likely be for 3 A-levels. It might be something like A*A* in maths and further maths, and then A in either chemistry or politics. Or maybe it would exclude politics altogether.
Do you know what topics you'd be doing for history if you chose it?
Okay - I'm likely to get (hopefully) A* in Chem, Maths and Further Maths, which would /secure/ an oxbridge place (providing STEP and interviews) but essentially my 4th a level doesn't matter.

For history I would do the OCR course [edexcel for politics] which includes Germany 1789-1919, Russia 1894-1941 and Britain 1930-1997. The history course is very politically focused, so I don't know which one to choose tbh. History has better teachers overall and more of my friends, but politics has a more debating angle to it.
Do History as an A* or A grade could look more impressive for admissions if your STEP grades are not met.

Quick Reply

Latest