Relevant experience for a Global Health Masters?

Watch
carlyhorne
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
What sort of experiences would the following courses be looking for?

-MSc Global Health Sciences and Epidemiology at Oxford
-MSc Health and International Development at LSE
-MSc Global Health at KCL
-MSc Global Health and Development at UCL

I know they're mostly after a 1st/2:1, but what about the non-academic stuff that makes you stand out from everyone else with a 1st/2:1?

Thanks!
LuísTA
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by carlyhorne)
What sort of experiences would the following courses be looking for?

-MSc Global Health Sciences and Epidemiology at Oxford
-MSc Health and International Development at LSE
-MSc Global Health at KCL
-MSc Global Health and Development at UCL

I know they're mostly after a 1st/2:1, but what about the non-academic stuff that makes you stand out from everyone else with a 1st/2:1?

Thanks!
Hi there,

I didn't fully understand your question, but I will try to help

I agree with you about those universities usually requiring 1st or 2:1 degree as a minimum, but the CV is really important (even more than the difference between the 2:1 and 1st degree). That said, you will need to have an outstanding CV if you have worst than 2:1, with several experiences, accomplishment, awards, etc.

For instance, I had been accepted in MSc in Epidemiology at IC (with similar requirements to those universities you referred). In my CV, I had a book published, volunteering work, laboratory and project experience, Erasmus thesis, part-time job, 1st degree (with several awards of best students), a sport, a personal blog, etc. I was accepted really quickly, though I was not one of the best CV's of the Campus (proof is the merit scholarships that I applied, unsuccessfully of course). So, the CV is relevant to distinguish you from other applicants, while the 2:1 degree is important to have a initial good chance to enter the course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (132)
24.22%
Better than expected (120)
22.02%
Worse than expected (293)
53.76%

Watched Threads