Access to Science - My advice and experience

Watch
Ldn17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I just wanted to give some advice to any future access to science students as this time last year I was in a position where I wanted advice , I was daunted by the thought of going back to education as a mature student(27) and needed a bit of guidance.
I started an access to science course from a college last September. My course was made of chemistry and biology units (graded) study skills (ungraded) and a mandatory math unit which was also graded. My college didn't offer physics on it's access so check with your uni first if you are doing an access to science without physics and need this for your preferred course.

An access course should not be taken lightly by any means. It is extremely hard work. The pace is incredibly fast and learning is constant. The first piece of work I submitted, I received a merit and I was completely disheartened. I needed 33 distinctions to get onto my chosen course. I asked my tutor for feedback as to where I could improve and realized I had actually done quite well considering the gap I had in education. So with that determination I kept pushing and the results showed that!
Make lots of notes, use khan academy for biology and chemistry. You tube helps a lot to understand further what you learnt in class. Find a Harvard reference generator to help with referencing! Use your library to borrow a level science books. Ask questions if you don't understand something. Get started on assignments soon as they fall into your lap because the next one will be right on its way.

This period of time will fly by so quickly and before you know it you'll be getting ready to start your degree just like me! So enjoy it , work hard and keep pushing! I left my access course with 42 distinctions overall and it all came from self belief and putting the time in.

Good luck to anyone starting to an access course this September!
Last edited by Ldn17; 2 months ago
scienceishguy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Dietetics17_17)
I just wanted to give some advice to any future access to science students as this time last year I was in a position where I wanted advice , I was daunted by the thought of going back to education as a mature student(27) and needed a bit of guidance.
I started an access to science course from a college last September. My course was made of chemistry and biology units (graded) study skills (ungraded) and a mandatory math unit which was also graded. My college didn't offer physics on it's access so check with your uni first if you are doing an access to science without physics and need this for your preferred course.

An access course should not be taken lightly by any means. It is extremely hard work. The pace is incredibly fast and learning is constant. The first piece of work I submitted, I received a merit and I was completely disheartened. I needed 33 distinctions to get onto my chosen course. I asked my tutor for feedback as to where I could improve and realized I had actually done quite well considering the gap I had in education. So with that determination I kept pushing and the results showed that!
Make lots of notes, use khan academy for biology and chemistry. You tube helps a lot to understand further what you learnt in class. Find a Harvard reference generator to help with referencing! Use your library to borrow a level science books. Ask questions if you don't understand something. Get started on assignments soon as they fall into your lap because the next one will be right on its way.

This period of time will fly by so quickly and before you know it you'll be getting ready to start your degree just like me! So enjoy it , work hard and keep pushing! I left my access course with 42 distinctions overall and it all came from self belief and putting the time in.

Hey! I will be starting an Access to Health Sciences course (they didn't offer combined sciences or anything maths / physics-based) after receiving my semi-decent A-Levels in 2018. This is really good information thank you! I never underestimated 3 A-Levels but I know this course will be different.

What are you going onto do next?
techgeekgirl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you for your insight! I'm currently looking at access courses and I'm trying to push myself to apply for one.
scienceishguy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by techgeekgirl)
Thank you for your insight! I'm currently looking at access courses and I'm trying to push myself to apply for one.
Hey! What are you looking to do?
techgeekgirl
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by scienceishguy)
Hey! What are you looking to do?
Hi! I'm looking to apply for an Access course in Science to hopefully eventually go onto to study either pharmaceutical science or cosmetic science.
scienceishguy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi! I'm looking to apply for an Access course in Science to hopefully eventually go onto to study either pharmaceutical science or cosmetic science.
That sounds really cool! Good luck to you!
techgeekgirl
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
That sounds really cool! Good luck to you!
Thanks, good luck to you too!

Now I've just got to get passed my anxiety and apply for the course
scienceishguy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thanks, good luck to you too!

Now I've just got to get passed my anxiety and apply for the course
Has it been a while since you've stepped back into education? For me, it has been only 2 years but I have felt very nervous and it was a huge step to apply.

Just think it will be one leap closer to your university goal It will be very worth it in the end! Message me if you need a chat!
techgeekgirl
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Has it been a while since you've stepped back into education? For me, it has been only 2 years but I have felt very nervous and it was a huge step to apply.

Just think it will be one leap closer to your university goal It will be very worth it in the end! Message me if you need a chat!
I left 6th form about 6 years ago, mostly spent 3 years being unemployed and depressed, and I've been working for the past 3 years now. My anxiety has gotten the best of me a few times. I was going to apply to an access course last year but the distance and drive to the college would have been too much for me at the time. Hopefully I can push through it and apply this year.
scienceishguy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I left 6th form about 6 years ago, mostly spent 3 years being unemployed and depressed, and I've been working for the past 3 years now. My anxiety has gotten the best of me a few times. I was going to apply to an access course last year but the distance and drive to the college would have been too much for me at the time. Hopefully I can push through it and apply this year.
You can do it! It will definitely be worth it if you want to head to uni to study healthcare. It was nice also that most of the interviews for HE courses I wanted to do were over the phone, made it so much easier and was a relaxed conversation.
Ldn17
Rep:
?
Hey! You’re welcome glad I could help. I’m going on to study dietetics and pursue a career as a dietician in the hospital.
Ldn17
Rep:
?
Hey! I know the prospect can be scary, I myself have struggled with anxiety over the years because I felt like I had no direction or courage to build a great career, try not to let your self doubt control your future. It all starts with self believe. You can do it! Wishing you the best of luck
Ldn17
Rep:
?
Hey! I will be starting an Access to Health Sciences course (they didn't offer combined sciences or anything maths / physics-based) after receiving my semi-decent A-Levels in 2018. This is really good information thank you! I never underestimated 3 A-Levels but I know this course will be different.

What are you going onto do next?
Hey! You’re welcome glad I could help. I’m going on to study dietetics and pursue a career as a dietician in the hospital.
Jenks98
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Really good advice! I completed my access to health science course this year. Same as you, around this time last year I was scrambling through forums for advice and found posts like this so helpful! I was also worried by some of the posts on here about so many people dropping out due to the difficulty of the course - happy to say not many people dropped out of my group and it wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be
scienceishguy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Jenks98)
Really good advice! I completed my access to health science course this year. Same as you, around this time last year I was scrambling through forums for advice and found posts like this so helpful! I was also worried by some of the posts on here about so many people dropping out due to the difficulty of the course - happy to say not many people dropped out of my group and it wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be
Yayy Health Sciences too! What are you looking to study after?
Jenks98
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yayy Health Sciences too! What are you looking to study after?
You don't see so many health science posts on here! I'm hoping to do podiatry
Ldn17
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jenks98)
Congratulations sounds exciting! yes same, I was initially scared but it’s not bad and the time goes quickly.
joanneg76
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

I am starting an Access to Science course this September at the age of 44, so a fair few years since I left school!

I've read lots of comments about the pace of the course and I'm prepared for it to be tough. I really want to go on to study a Nutrition degree and to have a career I actually enjoy after years of working in insurance.

Thanks for your words of encouragement, I find it really helpful to read these posts
Tabbs.x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

CONGRATULATIONS! I just finished my Access to Health Science course too (I'm 20). It included Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths (45 graded credits 15 ungraded). Before then I had studied A level Maths Economics Geography and Politics and I even had to resit a year (finished when I was 19). A levels was very rocky for me and up until now, I had convinced myself that I was just dumb but thanks to my family, friends and God I was able to get 45 straight distinctions!

My advice to access students echos exactly what you just said. The learning never stops and I can not stress enough the importance of organisation!
The secret is consistent organisation. Take lots and lots of ORGANISED notes. They are of no use if you can not understand them later and you will definitely need them. But, don't just make pretty notes, test yourself! Write down the title of a subtopic on a blank sheet and write everything you know about it off head. That will tell you what you know and what you need to revise. Quizlet is a flash card app I used the life out of to study because it didnt waste paper and I could make as many as I wanted.
If you want to use harvard referencing us citethisforme.com!
Dont be afraid to ask questions!
Have self discipline and set smart targets eg/ I'm gonna complete the Intro of lab report by this date
Make the library become your second home!
DO NOT leave things last minute. It will only pill up and become overwhelming.
And lastly, trust in your own sauce! Meaning, don't ever doubt your ability to succeed and ace this course. I promise you, if I can do it then you can!
Ldn17
Rep:
?
(Original post by joanneg76)
I am starting an Access to Science course this September at the age of 44, so a fair few years since I left school!

I've read lots of comments about the pace of the course and I'm prepared for it to be tough. I really want to go on to study a Nutrition degree and to have a career I actually enjoy after years of working in insurance.

Thanks for your words of encouragement, I find it really helpful to read these posts
Hey! Good luck with your access course! I was heading towards a nutrition degree initially then opted to dietetics to be a dietitian. Enjoy your course, although its hard work you will find yourself enjoying learning again! Glad I could help, if you need any advice regarding ucas personal statement or anything else just let me know
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (74)
21.39%
No (272)
78.61%

Watched Threads