A level results day 2020 "I am nervous" official thread

Watch
bored_user:)
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by inoubliable)
I'm assuming this was question was for me?

It's because my school performs quite badly at A-Levels. For example, last year in a maths cohort of around 30 people, one person achieved A*, 2As and with chemistry (cohort of around 25ish people i think), no A*s and only 3As. It's this combined with not being too optimistic about my ranking because thia year's cohort at my school are just really, really, really good compared to the previous years with much more capable people.
No me, my predictions are A*AA and I think I will get ABB or ABC
Rep:
?
(Original post by inoubliable)
I'm honestly really nervous and scared because I attend quite a rundown state school with really bad historical data, but we have a superb cohort this year; perhaps the best the school has seen since it converted to an Academy. But I feel that the system will really screw us over :/

Subjects: Politics, Maths and Chemistry
What I think I'll get: ABB/ABC (I'm predicted A*AA so that's best case scenario which is very unlikely)
What I need: AAA
Firmed Uni: Oxford
(Original post by Nova1407)
So I have "sat" Graphic design, History, and Sociology A-level exams and I think I'm expected at least all B's? I'm not too sure but I need 3 B's for university haha. I did get one unconditional offer but made it my second choice due to travel issues but my firm choice is Northumbria University in Newcastle!

I am nervous, mainly because I have a severe anxiety disorder, but mostly because I really need these grades to get in. I've gone through DSA (disabled students allowance) and gotten a laptop and extra support so if I don't go to uni do I just give the laptop back or not because I paid £200 towards it? What do I do if I can't get into any local uni's because my mental health will not let me move away and I have 5 birds as pets so accommodation is out of the question? It's all just a mess lol.

I wish you the best of luck too! <3
Omg good luck to the both of you!!

And for Nova1407, I dont want to move away from home either which is why I chose a uni in London. But I would say that they will definitely be lenient this year and you dont have to worry. If you feel nervous or anxious please DM a member on here for help and we will always be here for you mate. We are all on the same boat and all of us are in this together so lets just hope that boat takes us to where we want to go and not sink!
OxMus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don’t envy you taking your A levels in the middle of a pandemic; well done everyone, and I wish you the best of luck!
Rep:
?
(Original post by OxMus)
I don’t envy you taking your A levels in the middle of a pandemic; well done everyone, and I wish you the best of luck!
sorry what do you mean by this?
OxMus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by bored_user:))
sorry what do you mean by this?
Well, I’m expressing sympathy for A level students who have completed their studies in a pandemic, and I’m wishing them the best of luck for their results/future.
mimi7167
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics & Computer Science
What I'm expecting: wellll depends, I think my teacher given grades will be A*A*A*A*/A*A*A*A (I got that in mocks) but I go to a not so great college which hasn't had any A*s in 3 of my subjects for a few years which really sucks so I think my grades will be moderated down loads so maybe A*AAA ??

What I need: A*A*A

University: Oxford (Maths)

So I suppose I kinda talked about my fears above but I'm just really nervous about that because I basically know what my teachers will give me because I've been getting those grades all year and I know I prob would've achieved those grades but just because I go to a low performing school i can't possibly have been able to earn A*s ??? Like that just feels unfair
Last edited by mimi7167; 3 weeks ago
Rep:
?
(Original post by OxMus)
Well, I’m expressing sympathy for A level students who have completed their studies in a pandemic, and I’m wishing them the best of luck for their results/future.
well thanks mate!
Rep:
?
(Original post by mimi7167)
A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics & Computer Science
What I'm expecting: wellll depends, I think my teacher given grades will be A*A*A*A*/A*A*A*A (I got that in mocks) but I go to a not so great college which hasn't had any A*s in 3 of my subjects for a few years which really sucks so I think my grades will be moderated down loads so maybe A*AAA ??

What I need: A*A*A

University: Oxford (Maths)
awww omg you smarty pants well done and good luck!!!
1000papercranes
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey! I'm starting sixth form next year but I figured i could just offer some moral support for you guys as I'll be in this situation 2 years from now.:eek:

Remember that worrying won't do s**t at this point so all you can really do is relax and enjoy yourself. Hope for the best ( easier said than done I know and you should be fine.
Good luck to everyone receiving their A-level results soon I hope that they're what you all need for whatever you want to do.
Good luck!!
smoothstardust
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What A- levels did you "sit"? English Literature, Film Studies and part of a Media BTEC (can't remember the name of my course).
What are you expecting? I finished Media early, as I had already completed the units I needed. Got a Distinction. Expecting an A in Film and hopefully, a B in English.
What do you need? 112 UCAS points
Which uni have you firmed? Kingston

Why are you nervous? I really need that B in English, as I've literally applied to study English and Drama. But I'm so worried about the fact that I was not productive AT ALL for almost two years and have very little to show for a B grade. I just hope I get a B, even if I scrape it. My thing is that I always wait till about a month before exams to actually fix up and study more. Terrible, I know. I might be paying the price for this on Results Day this year!!
NE1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
At 2am, I was reading Offqual’s summer 2020 symposium and I found these 2 paragraphs regarding Centre Assessed Grades quite interesting

“Though the process of awarding grades this year is far from complete, we can see the likely extent of the adjustments needed to centre assessment grades to deliver consistent standards across schools and colleges. From the data that we have reviewed we expect the majority of grades students receive will be the same as their centre assessment grades, and almost all grades students receive will be the same as the centre assessment grades or within one grade. Results for students will therefore almost always be broadly in line with centres’ and teachers’ expectations, reflecting the skills, professionalism and integrity of those involved.

A substantial number of students will receive at least one grade that has been adjusted as a result of the standardisation process. And while some will be adjusted upwards, on average, centres have submitted grades that are higher than would be expected. That is not surprising, given that the circumstances meant teachers were not given an opportunity to develop a common approach to grading in advance; and they naturally want to do their best for their students. As such, if centre assessment grades were not statistically standardised, we would see results for 2020 that were, on average, 12 percentage points better than in 2019 at A level and 9 percentage points at GCSE; with greater peaks at some key grades such as 4 (at GCSE) and B (at A level). Improvement on such a scale in a single year has never occurred and to allow it would significantly undermine the value of these grades for students”

Earlier in the symposium, they also mentioned concerns about inequality and bias. This is a bit of what they said here:

“Our preliminary analysis is very encouraging and suggests there will generally be no widening of the gaps in attainment between different groups of students. In other words, the concern that identifiable groups of students would lose out from this year’s arrangements has not been borne out.”
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by NE1)
At 2am, I was reading Offqual’s summer 2020 symposium and I found these 2 paragraphs regarding Centre Assessed Grades quite interesting

“Though the process of awarding grades this year is far from complete, we can see the likely extent of the adjustments needed to centre assessment grades to deliver consistent standards across schools and colleges. From the data that we have reviewed we expect the majority of grades students receive will be the same as their centre assessment grades, and almost all grades students receive will be the same as the centre assessment grades or within one grade. Results for students will therefore almost always be broadly in line with centres’ and teachers’ expectations, reflecting the skills, professionalism and integrity of those involved.

A substantial number of students will receive at least one grade that has been adjusted as a result of the standardisation process. And while some will be adjusted upwards, on average, centres have submitted grades that are higher than would be expected. That is not surprising, given that the circumstances meant teachers were not given an opportunity to develop a common approach to grading in advance; and they naturally want to do their best for their students. As such, if centre assessment grades were not statistically standardised, we would see results for 2020 that were, on average, 12 percentage points better than in 2019 at A level and 9 percentage points at GCSE; with greater peaks at some key grades such as 4 (at GCSE) and B (at A level). Improvement on such a scale in a single year has never occurred and to allow it would significantly undermine the value of these grades for students”

Earlier in the symposium, they also mentioned concerns about inequality and bias. This is a bit of what they said here:

“Our preliminary analysis is very encouraging and suggests there will generally be no widening of the gaps in attainment between different groups of students. In other words, the concern that identifiable groups of students would lose out from this year’s arrangements has not been borne out.”
Can I just tell you that I am in love with you already lol
NE1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Can I just tell you that I am in love with you already lol
It was just a bit of late night reading for me. Couldn’t sleep last night so I started scrolling through twitter and someone linked the symposium and thought I’d share the highlights. I thought it would help ease some people’s nerves
Rep:
?
(Original post by NE1)
It was just a bit of late night reading for me. Couldn’t sleep last night so I started scrolling through twitter and someone linked the symposium and thought I’d share the highlights. I thought it would help ease some people’s nerves
Well it definitely eased my nerves!!! Thanks mate!!!
Rep:
?
(Original post by NE1)
just asking... so does that mean that only 12% of the grades would go down by one grade or so?
CallumTSR
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
heyy so I basically set this up cause I am feeling SUPER nervous about A level results day and I thought that we as TSR-ians need to be there for each other and support each other.

We are probably the only students in history who are getting A level grades without sitting actual exams and with standardisation and everything... things are very uncertain and it is so confusing and frustrating.

So just DM people on this thread to support them or to ask for support during these difficult days.

So...

What A levels did you "sit"?
What are you expecting?
What do you need?
And which Uni have you firmed?

And most importantly.. why are you nervous and what are you nervous about?

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!
Law, History and Philosophy
Predicted grades of AAB
I need AAA/AAB
Firmed York to study Law
I'm most nervous that my poor performance in the January mocks will prohibit me getting the grades I need to attend my dream university and also the fact that I felt like I was progressing towards working at the level of my predicted grades just as lockdown happened and so it might have been too little too late.
Rep:
?
(Original post by CallumTSR)
Law, History and Philosophy
Predicted grades of AAB
I need AAA/AAB
Firmed York to study Law
I'm most nervous that my poor performance in the January mocks will prohibit me getting the grades I need to attend my dream university and also the fact that I felt like I was progressing towards working at the level of my predicted grades just as lockdown happened and so it might have been too little too late.
Wow good luck mate! Hope you get in!!
NE1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
just asking... so does that mean that only 12% of the grades would go down by one grade or so?
Basically, if they didn’t do any standardisation whatsoever, the grades achieved nationally would be 12% higher than 2019 rather than the 2% increase with standardisation.
CallumTSR
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Wow good luck mate! Hope you get in!!
Thanks so much mate, I really appreciate that!
Rep:
?
(Original post by NE1)
Basically, if they didn’t do any standardisation whatsoever, the grades achieved nationally would be 12% higher than 2019 rather than the 2% increase with standardisation.
so what percent of grades would decrease though?

And is it possible to get a reduction by lower than say 2 grades than what we are predicted?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (117)
25.38%
Better than expected (94)
20.39%
Worse than expected (250)
54.23%

Watched Threads