Why do I get anxious?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I've noticed that whenever I don't get enough sleep I'm really anxious the whole day. It's an irrational feeling that's fundamentally independent of what's happening in my life, although it can be exacerbated if I attribute it to things that I'm already generally anxious or stressed about. Even if I consciously feel fine and am not worrying about anything in particular, it's still at the back of my mind.

It's not like it has a huge impact on my quality of life but it is still pretty unpleasant. Other side effects of lack of sleep that I get are a general lack of control of my thoughts and emotions and stronger/more frequent mood swings. And when I say 'lack of sleep' I only mean by a couple of hours or so, sometimes only if done consecutive nights in a row.

Is it normal for a slight lack of sleep (sometimes built up over the course of a few days) to affect mental health so much? I'm worried that this will cause problems for me when I start working.
Crimson7777777
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi there.

Yes this is normal for some. I sometimes wake up and just know my mental health is screwed that day. It's nothing to worry about, just try and get some more sleep, do more of the things you enjoy and get help if ever you need
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Crimson7777777)
Hi there.

Yes this is normal for some. I sometimes wake up and just know my mental health is screwed that day. It's nothing to worry about, just try and get some more sleep, do more of the things you enjoy and get help if ever you need
Ah thanks for that response. I notice a similar thing happen at night too, my mental health is always far better in the morning than at night. I suppose it's all associated with tiredness.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
When your body doesn't get enough sleep the hormone cortisol is increased, this is the primary stress hormone so it's your body's biological response.

It's good you realise it gets worse when you connect it to things you're already stressed because that self awarenes will help you rationalise it Some people can do all nighters and feel the same way you do if their body has gotten used to it more but it may be yours prioritises sleep
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
When your body doesn't get enough sleep the hormone cortisol is increased, this is the primary stress hormone so it's your body's biological response.

It's good you realise it gets worse when you connect it to things you're already stressed because that self awarenes will help you rationalise it Some people can do all nighters and feel the same way you do if their body has gotten used to it more but it may be yours prioritises sleep
I agree, I only realised this recently though. Before that I would just assume that it was a response to actual sources of stress and couldn't distinguish the two, so that made the stress and anxiety far more severe and intolerable than it should have been. Now I know it's mostly a consequence of tiredness messing with my brain, but it's still not too pleasant. Yeah my body does depend on sleep more than the average person, e.g. 8 hours a night would mean I'm massively sleep deprived after a few days and a week and I'd be dysfunctional lol.
Anonymous #1
Still feeling anxious haha. Really just want to go to bed now and be done with it but it's too early to sleep
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
I agree, I only realised this recently though. Before that I would just assume that it was a response to actual sources of stress and couldn't distinguish the two, so that made the stress and anxiety far more severe and intolerable than it should have been. Now I know it's mostly a consequence of tiredness messing with my brain, but it's still not too pleasant. Yeah my body does depend on sleep more than the average person, e.g. 8 hours a night would mean I'm massively sleep deprived after a few days and a week and I'd be dysfunctional lol.
Yeah that's quite inconvenient but as long as you can control it you're all good

Hope you can get a long nights sleep:boring:
Crimson7777777
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Ah thanks for that response. I notice a similar thing happen at night too, my mental health is always far better in the morning than at night. I suppose it's all associated with tiredness.
Yeah. I mean it’s not really tiredness directly for me, but it does contribute. I suppose (never even diagnosed) but I’m kinda socially awkward / anxious and lonely sometimes, which often leads to me overthinking like about stupid stuff but. Yeah I mean it’s just random days for me tbh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (21)
13.55%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.1%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (64)
41.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
14.84%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
3.23%

Watched Threads