I'm 16 and I need a weekend job Watch

Danman0704
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm 16 and I must have applied for about 30 different position but only got through to 1 interview. what am I doing wrong? My cv is reasonable and I have good gcse's. Any ideas?
Puma
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Its hard for a 16 year old to find a job.
Have you tried connexions?
Hand out CVs everywhere, throw them i your local supermarket, all the shops in town, maybe a few bars/pubs, ask friends if they can get you a job at their work, try local small corner shops, maybe get a paper round?
Sparxy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well you only got your GCSEs a week ago, so your hardly giving it time are you for them to contact you?
jaz_jaz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh gosh.

Been looking for nearly a year!!!
Pretty decent GCSE's
NO interviews

Its a disaster.
mollymustard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You are probably doing nothing wrong!
Honestly, when I was 16 I did exactly the same thing. I handed out around 36 CV's in my local area. I was offered 2 interviews, asked to do an application for another and then finally got a job at Waitrose.
Most places have waiting lists when it comes to interviewing for new staff and at the end of the summer there is usually very little work available.
Keep trying, and give lots of time for people to get back to you. In late September lots of people leave for Uni so you may be able to get something then.
Another tip is to send your CV in the post to lots of stores in you area, as then the Personell Manager will recieve a hard copy on their desk, rather than your CV getting chucked out by other members of staff or just ignored completely.

Good Luck with your search
Toni_bean
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
a weekend job?

seriously, just try your local pub/restaurant. If they know you or your family you have more of a chance getting a job and it wil be a nice, friendly atmosphere.
Mr Nonsense
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
waterstone's oxford street because i am giving up my weekend job on saturday....
toothbrushes
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Supermarkets and dept. stores always seem to be hiring. Are you just taking your cv to places with recruitment posters up, or are you sending them everywhere? If it's the former, I'd recommend the latter - it's what my friend and I did. (We both got jobs btw lol)
moneyballs2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Try as much as you can before October-ish as that's when the University students will probably move in and start looking for the weekend jobs! And October is around the time loads of places start to recruit as well. Hmm..

I want a job too!!
darkeneddreams
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Danman0704)
I'm 16 and I must have applied for about 30 different position but only got through to 1 interview. what am I doing wrong? My cv is reasonable and I have good gcse's. Any ideas?
Same problem everywhere. Maybe its the economy thats slowing, the temp jobs that your and everyone is looking for are coming harder and harder to come by. Just keep applying and don't give up.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Danman0704)
Are you sure your CV is reasonable? I suggest posting it up for review in the main careers forum.

Try asking yourself these questions:

1. Is your CV any good? Have you had anyone critique it?

2. Did you enclose an appropriate cover letter addressed to the appropriate person?

3. Did you address the CV and cover letter directly to the manager?

4. Did you ring up after a week to check that they received your CV?

If you answered no to any of the above, that's where you've gone wrong.
jaz_jaz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mr Nonsense)
waterstone's oxford street because i am giving up my weekend job on saturday....
Ooh, thanks
You might have some competition there!:p:
Dandy01
Report 10 years ago
If you have a Primark nearby, try there. It's a crap job, but hey, it's a job. And they take on loads of young folk.
Usman938
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mow peoples lawns.
Mr Nonsense
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jaz_jaz)
Ooh, thanks
You might have some competition there!:p:
its a nice job - shame i have to quit though
jaz_jaz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh..your quitting!
Tyraell
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Try cleaning - they always need cleaners!

And the pay isn't that bad either...
major-major-major
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am 16 and looking for a job for 2 months. I finally got a temp job at a pizza factory and the pay is decent.

My sister on the other hand applied to 3 jobs last year (she was 16), got an interview on all of them and then joined Serif. 3 months later and after earning about £2000 she applied to RBS and got in there again. Now she earns a steady £550 every month part-time and achieved 4 A's at AS. God i envy her.
TimeLady
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They always want people with work experience. As you haven't got that, then have you thought about doing some volunteering somewhere for a little bit? If you volunteered at a charity shop, it would give you some more skills, and would make you more appealing from the employers point of view. They are reluctant to take people on with no experience, because you will be unpredictable, and so something like that might make you seem like a better candidate.

Also, are you applying for vacancies, or just handing out CVs. Because there is very little point in handing out CVs. Apply for specific vacancies, do an awesome cover letter, and adapt your CV to the position. If you just hand them out, you are essentially applying for jobs that don't exist. I worked somewhere where we were told to throw them out. Because they "didn't want to work here, they just went around the shopping centre".
gemmasays
Report 10 years ago
honestly it took me ages to find a job when i was 16 and I swear I tried my hardest just like many of my friends and we were all experiencing the same thing. I eventually found a job in a call center close to me working as part of a bank, they hours were pretty crap (i had to work every day after school) so i ended up burning myself out, but other call centers allow you to be more flexible with your hours and usually they are always looking for staff.

what i'd do is check on the job center website search and see what it comes up with your area, i'm sure you will be able to find some jobs with not many hours or weekend work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1381)
79.5%
Leave (356)
20.5%

Watched Threads