sarahfonsecax
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I'm so not sure what I want to do in the future and I'm indecisive between Media and a Psychology degree. Please help we weigh out the pros and cons and if anyone has any experience within these courses! Do you think going into media and psychology would be best for me? Please any help about both courses or just about universities let me know.
UniversityOfSunderland
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by sarahfonsecax)
Hi, I'm so not sure what I want to do in the future and I'm indecisive between Media and a Psychology degree. Please help we weigh out the pros and cons and if anyone has any experience within these courses! Do you think going into media and psychology would be best for me? Please any help about both courses or just about universities let me know.
Which one are you most passionate about?
Both courses are great options, I guess it depends a lot on what you want to do in the future, both courses open up varied and interesting careers with lots of job opportunities. You could also look into whether any universities offer a joint honours course that combines the two. Have you thought about which universities you are interested in first?
Bmay19
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Derby University offer a lot of joint honours degrees! I am studying Media and Law at the moment, so I am sure you could do Media and Psychology as a joint subject?
emiloujess
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First thing I would say is: if you are interested in a psychology career, I would take a psychology course, or potentially a dual honors course if it is accredited by the BPS. BPS accreditation is very important for careers or even further study in psychology. I personally would analyse which aspects of both courses are of interest to you - if it is about the effects of the media on mind/behavior I would still go psychology. I once wanted to do Psychology because of the effects of language learning. I ended up on a very different path, but still

I did a little bit of research and found this quite interesting - http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduat...exible/exeter/
Exeter it seems will let you combine Psychology with various other subjects and still have it BPS accredited if you take 75/120 credit modules in Psychology. Most unis (I also looked at Derby and Bath Spa) will require you to 'major' in Psychology to gain the accreditation but it is possible.

If you are sure you don't want a career in Psychology, I would look at both courses at multiple unis and see if there are any modules that draw your attention
sarahfonsecax
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Bmay19)
Derby University offer a lot of joint honours degrees! I am studying Media and Law at the moment, so I am sure you could do Media and Psychology as a joint subject?
I can only find two unis that do psychology and media combined so I'm not sure how I would write my personal statement for it!
sarahfonsecax
Rep:
?
(Original post by emiloujess)
First thing I would say is: if you are interested in a psychology career, I would take a psychology course, or potentially a dual honors course if it is accredited by the BPS. BPS accreditation is very important for careers or even further study in psychology. I personally would analyse which aspects of both courses are of interest to you - if it is about the effects of the media on mind/behavior I would still go psychology. I once wanted to do Psychology because of the effects of language learning. I ended up on a very different path, but still

I did a little bit of research and found this quite interesting - http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduat...exible/exeter/
Exeter it seems will let you combine Psychology with various other subjects and still have it BPS accredited if you take 75/120 credit modules in Psychology. Most unis (I also looked at Derby and Bath Spa) will require you to 'major' in Psychology to gain the accreditation but it is possible.

If you are sure you don't want a career in Psychology, I would look at both courses at multiple unis and see if there are any modules that draw your attention
I think I might go into psychology! At A-level I enjoy it but it's the evaluations that throw me off tbh. Do you anything about a psychology?
emiloujess
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think I might go into psychology! At A-level I enjoy it but it's the evaluations that throw me off tbh. Do you anything about a psychology?
I did it at A-level, and attended a few open days for (Criminological) Psychology but my undergrad was in Sociology & Criminology I very very nearly went down the Psychology route but my main interests were always in society and international perspectives. I am not entirely sure how active this forum specifically is but you could try posting here to get student perspectives: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=210
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If it is of any help - it is a bit depressing, but there are going to be job culls in media - it is already difficult to get jobs in that sector and it will soon be even more difficult. Also - 27k to come out with a degree that won't really get a job.....
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by emiloujess)

Hi - I am afraid that Psychology is not included in our Flexible Combined Hons programme for the accreditation reasons that you mention. The only combined and accredited degree that we offer with Psychology is Psychology with Sport and Exercise Science.
Karen - University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
sarahfonsecax
Rep:
?
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
If it is of any help - it is a bit depressing, but there are going to be job culls in media - it is already difficult to get jobs in that sector and it will soon be even more difficult. Also - 27k to come out with a degree that won't really get a job.....
For psychology or media? Sorry I'm so slow
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For psychology or media? Sorry I'm so slow
I said there are going to be job culls in media
Dechante
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Even though psychology is one of the most competitive degrees out there to get a job in, I would say it's better to study that over media bc there are basically no jobs in that. Not only that but you don't necessarily need a degree in media to get a job in media as there are people working in media with science, modern foreign languages and English degrees. If you want to be a psychologist or work in the psychology field I would say choose a psychology degree which is BPS accredited. Some universities offer a modularity system which means you can take a certain amount of credits outside of your main degree. For example, say you did a psychology degree at Exeter you could take modules related to media elsewhere in the uni like in the English department. Do you know what your predicted grades are yet? What exactly are your interests which make you want to study psychology and media? What are your career aspects? I will happily help you find unis to your interest
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (9)
17.65%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (14)
27.45%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
5.88%
No, I haven't received any communication (25)
49.02%

Watched Threads