Watch
pondering-soul
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
From my textbook for AS level :
Feedstock Recycling
'Here, the plastics are heated to a temperature that will break the polymer bonds and produce monomers. These can then be used to make new plastics.

There are problems with recycling. Poly(propene), for example, is a thermoplastic polymer. This means that it will soften when heated so it can be melted and re-used. However, this can only be done a limited number of times because at each heating some of the chains break and become shorter thus degrading the plastic's properties. '

Ok, so it says that plastics are heated to break the polymer bonds and produce monomers. So, when poly(propene) is broken down, the chains break and become shorter degrading its properties... but isn't that what we want? Since we are breaking the polymer bonds to produce monomers? I don't get how this works, if anyone could explain I would be thankful.
pondering-soul
Rep:
?
bump?
pondering-soul
Rep:
?
(Original post by pondering-soul)
Feedstock Recycling
'Here, the plastics are heated to a temperature that will break the polymer bonds and produce monomers. These can then be used to make new plastics.

There are problems with recycling. Poly(propene), for example, is a thermoplastic polymer. This means that it will soften when heated so it can be melted and re-used. However, this can only be done a limited number of times because at each heating some of the chains break and become shorter thus degrading the plastic's properties. '

Ok, so it says that plastics are heated to break the polymer bonds and produce monomers. So, when poly(propene) is broken down, the chains break and become shorter degrading its properties... but isn't that what we want? Since we are breaking the polymer bonds to produce monomers? I don't get how this works, if anyone could explain I would be thankful.
bump x2?
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by pondering-soul)
Feedstock Recycling

Recycling is the breakdown of a substance into a new form, e.g. melting down a glass bottle and making a new glass bottle.

You can recycle poly(propene) by melting something down and making a new poly(propene) thing.

If you crack a poly(propene) thing (which is what you are effectively doing when you melt it down too many time and break it into too short chains), then you can use that as organic feedstock, but you don't necessarily have to form poly(propene) once again.
pondering-soul
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pigster)
Recycling is the breakdown of a substance into a new form, e.g. melting down a glass bottle and making a new glass bottle.

You can recycle poly(propene) by melting something down and making a new poly(propene) thing.

If you crack a poly(propene) thing (which is what you are effectively doing when you melt it down too many time and break it into too short chains), then you can use that as organic feedstock, but you don't necessarily have to form poly(propene) once again.
thanks man
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (48)
17.78%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (75)
27.78%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (102)
37.78%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (35)
12.96%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise