acrossthepond01
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Anyone have any experience with getting their CAS number and proceeding with the Tier 4 Visa process? (US-international student for reference)

I just wanted to know when I could expect to hear back about it (or how long it usually takes) so I could proceed with the visa process because appointments for that are gonna be a real pain to get on short-notice.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by acrossthepond01)
Anyone have any experience with getting their CAS number and proceeding with the Tier 4 Visa process? (US-international student for reference)

I just wanted to know when I could expect to hear back about it (or how long it usually takes) so I could proceed with the visa process because appointments for that are gonna be a real pain to get on short-notice.
As long as the uni has all the information they need (e.g. passport number etc) they can generate a CAS number pretty quickly- a few working days is pretty standard. However, things may be slightly slower than usual at the moment with people working from home etc.
acrossthepond01
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
As long as the uni has all the information they need (e.g. passport number etc) they can generate a CAS number pretty quickly- a few working days is pretty standard. However, things may be slightly slower than usual at the moment with people working from home etc.
Ah alright, I guess I'll give it a few more days and if not by then I'll reach out to admissions or someone at UCL. Thanks!
jenki202
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Hey I'm from the US and just had my visa application appointment. My situation is a bit different because I am applying from the Netherlands but I thought I'd share my timeline with you. When you get your CAS will depend on your University, but if you bug them enough I found it speeds up the process. (I work as an international ambassador for my university in the Netherlands so I know how annoying persistent students can be, but its effective!)

As for my timeline, I think I received my unconditional offer sometime in February, paid my deposit 25 June, submitted my CAS request letter 06 July and received my CAS 13 July and submitted my visa application the same day. My visa application center in Amsterdam opened for new appointments on 29 June and I was able to get my appointment on 17 July, so less than a week after receiving my CAS and submitting my application online. The application center here is only open 2 days a week so I was surprised to get in so quickly. I am now waiting on my visa decision and the staff seemed confident that processing times will be the same as pre-corona, so 15 working days.

Not sure if this helps at all, I know centers are just starting to open in the US so they may be a bit busier but I thought I'd share my experience. Good Luck!
acrossthepond01
Rep:
?
(Original post by jenki202)
Hey I'm from the US and just had my visa application appointment. My situation is a bit different because I am applying from the Netherlands but I thought I'd share my timeline with you. When you get your CAS will depend on your University, but if you bug them enough I found it speeds up the process. (I work as an international ambassador for my university in the Netherlands so I know how annoying persistent students can be, but its effective!)

As for my timeline, I think I received my unconditional offer sometime in February, paid my deposit 25 June, submitted my CAS request letter 06 July and received my CAS 13 July and submitted my visa application the same day. My visa application center in Amsterdam opened for new appointments on 29 June and I was able to get my appointment on 17 July, so less than a week after receiving my CAS and submitting my application online. The application center here is only open 2 days a week so I was surprised to get in so quickly. I am now waiting on my visa decision and the staff seemed confident that processing times will be the same as pre-corona, so 15 working days.

Not sure if this helps at all, I know centers are just starting to open in the US so they may be a bit busier but I thought I'd share my experience. Good Luck!
Hmm, well I did reach out in regards to the CAS number so I'll give them some time, and hopefully I can get it sooner than later. The application center appointment timeline kinda scares me, knowing how bad it's gotten in the US, who knows how long it'll take.

But huge thanks for your advice, definitely helped answer questions I had. But as a side note, do you have to reapply for a visa every year? You mentioned you're working for your uni, so is this a thing you had to do again, or are ya entering as a fresher in the fall? Sorry haha, just dreading having to redo this whole thing again next year if that's the situation.
Last edited by acrossthepond01; 2 months ago
jenki202
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hmm, well I did reach out in regards to the CAS number so I'll give them some time, and hopefully I can get it sooner than later. The application center appointment timeline kinda scares me, knowing how bad it's gotten in the US, who knows how long it'll take.

But huge thanks for your advice, definitely helped answer questions I had. But as a side note, do you have to reapply for a visa every year? You mentioned you're working for your uni, so is this a thing you had to do again, or are ya entering as a fresher in the fall? Sorry haha, just dreading having to redo this whole thing again next year if that's the situation.
Happy to help! This will be my first year studying in the UK so I guess you could say i'm a fresher again for the 3rd time haha. If you're on a general tier 4 student visa you should not have to apply every year as long as your University and course stays the same. Your visa should be valid for the length of your course plus a few odd months as long as you meet the conditions. Your university should update you next fall if there are any steps you need to take such confirming your enrollment or ensuring you have the appropriate maintenance fees.

I'm no expert, but I'm going by my experience studying and working in the Netherlands as a foreigner and what I've read on the UK.gov site. So it should be much easier the next few years!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (194)
29.75%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (108)
16.56%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.9%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.28%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.82%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.63%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.83%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.22%

Watched Threads