The Stuart kings/rulers: protestant or Catholic?

Watch
Calebnotts
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
In September, I will begin studying the Stuart era (1625-1701) for A Level History. I have started to do some background reading, but it is not 100% clear which kings/rulers were protestant and which were Catholic. Knowing this would help me to understand better as religion is a central theme. Can someone with the knowledge please clear up any misunderstandings I may have. This is my current understanding, but I may be wrong:

James I was a protestant…

His son Charles I was a protestant, but was also somewhat pro-Catholic because of his Catholic wife…

His son Charles II became king (after the restoration) and was officially protestant, but was kind of a “secret Catholic” because his mother Henrietta Maria was Catholic…

His younger brother James II was Catholic because of his mother Henrietta Maria…

Also:

Parliament was all or mostly Protestant when they abolished the monarchy…

And:

William III was protestant prince in the Netherlands and won the “Glorious Revolution”, and so married the sister of Charles II and James II, Mary, to become king of England…

Have I got anything wrong here?

Thanks
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Mostly correct.
Charles II formally became Catholic on his deathbed in 1685.
James II became catholic in the 1660s along with his first wife Anne Hyde but kept it secret and continued to attend Church Of England services until the mid 1670s.
Calebnotts
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Mostly correct.
Charles II formally became Catholic on his deathbed in 1685.
James II became catholic in the 1660s along with his first wife Anne Hyde but kept it secret and continued to attend Church Of England services until the mid 1670s.
Thank you!
BrDy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Calebnotts)
In September, I will begin studying the Stuart era (1625-1701) for A Level History. I have started to do some background reading, but it is not 100% clear which kings/rulers were protestant and which were Catholic. Knowing this would help me to understand better as religion is a central theme. Can someone with the knowledge please clear up any misunderstandings I may have. This is my current understanding, but I may be wrong:

James I was a protestant…

His son Charles I was a protestant, but was also somewhat pro-Catholic because of his Catholic wife…

His son Charles II became king (after the restoration) and was officially protestant, but was kind of a “secret Catholic” because his mother Henrietta Maria was Catholic…

His younger brother James II was Catholic because of his mother Henrietta Maria…

Also:

Parliament was all or mostly Protestant when they abolished the monarchy…

And:

William III was protestant prince in the Netherlands and won the “Glorious Revolution”, and so married the sister of Charles II and James II, Mary, to become king of England…

Have I got anything wrong here?

Thanks
also just to add William III was married to Mary II long before the "Glorious revolution", got married in the 1670s, but the GR wasn't until 1689(I think), so he didn't marry Mary just because he won the revolution
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.93%
I'm not sure (16)
3.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.48%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.58%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.38%

Watched Threads