The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LSE would be my firm, personally.
Reply 2
As they are the same academically, it would really go down to the actual university.

- Could i afford to live in London?
- Do they have the sports facilities i want?
- Are the halls better in one than the other?
- Do i mind commuting?
- Is the offer lower for one than the other?
- Do they have the support i need?

Once you have the offers, those questions become all the more important, IMO.
Reply 3
What bothers you more, quality of the course, of prestige of the university? I think you would be silly not to put LSE as your firm, and yes you could put Cambridge as your insurance if the grade requirements were lower (otherwise there is no point.)
Reply 4
I'd choose for Cambridge. London sucks ass!
Just to say, personally, I would put Cambridge as my firm, so now I want to know your opinions.
snail_87
What bothers you more, quality of the course, of prestige of the university? I think you would be silly not to put LSE as your firm, and yes you could put Cambridge as your insurance if the grade requirements were lower (otherwise there is no point.)

Why? Judging from your opinion, why would you put the LSE as your firm?
Reply 7
Lse
skagitup
Lse

Please tell me why?!
Reply 9
It really doesn't matter which! If you'd prefer Cambridge, then that's better for you. It's not less prestigious than LSE, so you will be fine there.
Reply 10
Cambridge, I just prefer the environment (I'm not one for big cities). I think three years in London could be too much (take no offence Londoners, it's nothing personal, I'd rather live in London than some other cities).

You can one as firm and the other as insurance, even if they ask for the same grades. It would be quite silly though...
Whichever you prefer really. I'm not superkeen on Oxbridge so personally I would go for LSE, but that's a highly personal reason.

I dont think you'd have anything to lose by putting Cambridge as your firm as LSE insurance.
I'd choose Cambridge but thats cos I don't want to be in a big city uni. Think it has to come down to which environment you prefer and which course suits you the best.
Reply 13
im so academic
Please tell me why?!

obviously entirely grounded in personal opinion, but the location is far more vibrant and, for economics, LSE is arguably more prestigious than Cambridge internationally. any other subject and i'd take Cambridge in a heartbeat, but for economics it's gotta be LSE.
Reply 14
I'd probably choose LSE, it's in London and I love that however it conflicts with the prestige of Cambridge (not that LSE isn't prestigious) but at the end of the day I'd choose LSE simply because I love London. Go visit the places, then choose.
Reply 15
LSE, prefer london
I wouldn't want to go to London (I live here, I wanna move!) but then again I think the pressure I'd put on myself at Cambridge would edge on dangerous... so LSE?
Reply 17
If you like living in a big city, pick LSE.
If you like living in a small city, pick Cambridge.

You could also choose with regard to opinions of prospective employers. LSE and Cambridge are both top-class universities, so I don't really know which one would be regarded by employers as being better; but to any numpty, seeing "Cambridge" on a CV is impressive (not that LSE isn't).
Reply 18
LSE. It's an excellent university (overall and especially for Economics), and it's in London - What more could you want?
I'd say Cambridge because I'd like to become independant by moving out of London, and experiencing life in a smaller city. And I've been to Cambridge [the city] so many times I know the place inside out now.

Latest

Trending

Trending