The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cambridge. I'd rather not live near a big city.
which would you take?:smile:
In my opinion Cambridge.
Somebody posted exactly the same question about a fortnight ago, if you search the forum.
cambridge,
It depends on the course, I'd say LSE. But as it is, I'm applying to LSE and Oxford and I'd probably choose Oxford over LSE.
Cambridge.
If I didn't live in London, then probably LSE.
Cambridge.
I'd personally choose Cambridge. I love the university scene there and could envisage myself living and studying there happily. I don't like London as it's expensive and way too busy for my liking. I think the teaching quality at Cambridge is also better, as I've heard the teacher-student exposure isn't all that good at LSE. If I wanted to go into IB that much, I'd choose LSE as it's simply a breeding ground for it.
Reply 30
We have the offers and admssions data for Cambridge:
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/statistics/subjects.html#economics

so about 190-200 offers.
160-170 admissions.
So in reality few people turn Cambridge down. So either:
i)LSE and Cambridge have very different selection criterea.
ii)Few people apply to both.
iii)people who get both offers prefer Cambridge.
Reply 31
Hayek > Keynes
Reply 32
Paulwhy
We have the offers and admssions data for Cambridge:
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/statistics/subjects.html#economics

so about 190-200 offers.
160-170 admissions.
So in reality few people turn Cambridge down. So either:
i)LSE and Cambridge have very different selection criterea.
ii)Few people apply to both.
iii)people who get both offers prefer Cambridge.

So 10% of people who got offers for Cambridge economics turned it down? To me that sounds like quite a lot.

Especially if you consider the fact that VERY few people will bother going through Oxbridge's application process if it's not going to be their first choice university - I know that was true for me; LSE was where I wanted to go and as such I didn't want to bother myself going through interviews, special tests etc for oxbridge if it wasn't my first choice.
Reply 33
SusDev
So 10% of people who got offers for Cambridge economics turned it down? To me that sounds like quite a lot..

No not saying 10% turned it down. As a certain of applicants would get offers,a ccept them and then not get the grades.
SusDev
Especially if you consider the fact that VERY few people will bother going through Oxbridge's application process if it's not going to be their first choice university - I know that was true for me; LSE was where I wanted to go and as such I didn't want to bother myself going through interviews, special tests etc for oxbridge if it wasn't my first choice.

I am not sure. I see a lot of TSR posters talk about applying for 4 of the top 5 without their posts expressing a clear preference between Oxbridge and LSE.
Reply 34
Paulwhy
No not saying 10% turned it down. As a certain of applicants would get offers,a ccept them and then not get the grades.

I would say VERY few don't meet the grades; I think getting the offer is the hard part.

Paulwhy

I am not sure. I see a lot of TSR posters talk about applying for 4 of the top 5 without their posts expressing a clear preference between Oxbridge and LSE.

That may be true but I personally have never met anyone who has applied to oxbridge and it wasn't their first choice uni.
Reply 35
SusDev
I would say VERY few don't meet the grades; I think getting the offer is the hard part.

That may be true but I personally have never met anyone who has applied to oxbridge and it wasn't their first choice uni.

What population group are you sampling from?
Reply 36
Paulwhy
What population group are you sampling from?

:rolleyes:

It may be true that people apply for economics without a preference for LSE or Oxbridge but I'm telling you that somebody who has a preference for LSE is less likely to apply to Oxbridge (which has its own application process) than someone who has a preference for Oxbridge is likely to apply to LSE (which involves no extra application procedure).

Therefore I think people with offers from both Oxbridge and LSE would be more likely to go to Oxbridge; although this is based on nothing more than common sense and admissions statistics from LSE would prove useful.
Reply 37
SusDev
:rolleyes:

It may be true that people apply for economics without a preference for LSE or Oxbridge but I'm telling you that somebody who has a preference for LSE is less likely to apply to Oxbridge (which has its own application process) than someone who has a preference for Oxbridge is likely to apply to LSE (which involves no extra application procedure).

Therefore I think people with offers from both Oxbridge and LSE would be more likely to go to Oxbridge; although this is based on nothing more than common sense and admissions statistics from LSE would prove useful.

Yes I understood that and sorry to make you repeat it.

What I was wondering about was what people you had had exposure to when you said the following:
SusDev

Because the more Cambridge economics students you have met the more relevance your experience would have on the matter in hand.
Reply 38
Paulwhy
Yes I understood that and sorry to make you repeat it.

What I was wondering about was what people you had had exposure to when you said the following:

Because the more Cambridge economics students you have met the more relevance your experience would have on the matter in hand.

I haven't met many Cambridge economics students and my experience stems solely from my own school whereby for people that applied to Oxbridge it was their first choice. And added to that many apt pupils who didn't apply to Oxbridge as they had a preference for other unis (e.g. LSE, ICL).
Reply 39
[QUOTE='[ I R I S ]']Cambridge. I'd rather not live near a big city.

Near?

Latest

Trending

Trending