Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I (finally) got my offer through today - GMS en suite catered.
    I specifically asked for self catered. I didn't know this at the time of applying, hence why I didn't declare it on my form, but I'm undergoing tests to diagnose a wheat and gluten allergy, and have been told by my doctor to eat a wheat and gluten free diet. I'm devestated, I'm paying hundreds of pounds more than I'd expected for food that I won't be able to eat. I'll feel excluded from my housemates if they all go down to dinner together and I can't. I've already bought crockery and pots and pans, as I was expecting to be self-catered. This has really upset me, to the point of wondering whether to take a year out or not.
    I phoned up to change, and they said they'd put me on a list.
    Has anyone had any experience of this? Do I have a chance?
    Anyone in self catered en suite want to do a swap??????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milly.)
    I specifically asked for self catered. I didn't know this at the time of applying, hence why I didn't declare it on my form, but I'm undergoing tests to diagnose a wheat and gluten allergy, and have been told by my doctor to eat a wheat and gluten free diet. I'm devestated, I'm paying hundreds of pounds more than I'd expected for food that I won't be able to eat. I'll feel excluded from my housemates if they all go down to dinner together and I can't. I've already bought crockery and pots and pans, as I was expecting to be self-catered. This has really upset me, to the point of wondering whether to take a year out or not.
    I'm pretty sure that they'd cater for allergies like that, I'll ask my friend who is a catering supervisor at Beaumont later today.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that if you tell them about your allergy, they'll make you something you can eat. A friend of mine worked in catering last year and said that they made separate meals for vegans - if they do it for them I'm sure there's a way of doing it for you. Did you tell them about your allergy when you phoned to ask for a change of room?
    If self catered ensuite is in demand then I think it's unlikely you'll get a room change before the start of term, but I'm not completly sure. Sometimes after the start of term people quit uni/move out of their accommodation (happened a bit where I lived) so it's not impossible to change.

ReputationRep:
    Just spoken to my friend; she says that they do cater for wheat and gluten allergies so that won't be a problem. She says that the 'best thing to do would be to phone up gms reception 01162212052, tell them the situation and they will either put it on record then or tell whoever the best thing to do when he/she arrives. but obviously telling them in advance of arrival day is best cuz of the first night meal'

Hope that helps a bit

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why you have to move room - why couldn't they just put you in the same room, and only charge you for self catered. Meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomber)
    Just spoken to my friend; she says that they do cater for wheat and gluten allergies so that won't be a problem. She says that the 'best thing to do would be to phone up gms reception 01162212052, tell them the situation and they will either put it on record then or tell whoever the best thing to do when he/she arrives. but obviously telling them in advance of arrival day is best cuz of the first night meal'

Hope that helps a bit
    Oooh that's brilliant, thanks a lot. I'm still a little unhappy that I'm paying about £500 more than I expected. Especially when you consider that I still have to make/buy my own lunch - simple things like sandwiches and pasta are no gos, and the price of wheat and gluten free bread and pasta is astronomical!

(Original post by sweetfloss)
    I don't get why you have to move room - why couldn't they just put you in the same room, and only charge you for self catered. Meh.
    That would be the perfect scenario (even though I'd be a little miffed that I wouldn't have a proper kitchen to make stuff, but I could easily cope with it). I suggested it to a woman I spoke to earlier - apparantly not possible.

ReputationRep:
    the same happened to me, I asked if I could have the same room that they had allocated and just go self-catered but they said no am really happy with the room though (en-suite at JF), money is going to be a big issue though

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same boat I so pissed off uni food is apparently gross so unfair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonlyrealgoddess)
    I am in the same boat I so pissed off uni food is apparently gross so unfair
    It's fine - not exactly fine dining, but usually perfectly edible.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I am not too picky just like cooking it relaxs me lol

ReputationRep:
    having had a major rant originally on the phone...I'm actually looking forward to catered now its probably a good thing given the amount of cooking related accidents/false fire alarms caused by my cooking! :p:

ReputationRep:
    can you still cook your own food even though ur catered?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dredz)
    can you still cook your own food even though ur catered?
    Well lunch isn't provided so you will have to prepaire you're own. I think they also give you a little kitchen where you can rustle up a few things.

I hope so as I've already bought cook ware!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    Well lunch isn't provided so you will have to prepaire you're own. I think they also give you a little kitchen where you can rustle up a few things.

I hope so as I've already bought cook ware!!
    Yeah, the Beaumont ones are really crap though - you just get a little hob and a microwave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomber)
    Yeah, the Beaumont ones are really crap though - you just get a little hob and a microwave.
    Oh how gay!!!

Oh well! BTW do you get a kettle in the kitchen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    Oh how gay!!!

Oh well! BTW do you get a kettle in the kitchen?
    They're fine, you manage - the only really annoying thing was trying to cook a pizza under the hobs in the little grill type thing. Yeah there's a kettle there.

ReputationRep:
    What is in the kitchen is gms lasdun blocks is there a fridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonlyrealgoddess)
    What is in the kitchen is gms lasdun blocks is there a fridge?
    Yes there's a fridge.

ReputationRep:
    anyone know if there's a little kitchen for catered in Stapleford house? If so what's in it? Microwave? Fridge? I know this has probably already been asked but do i need to bring my own bedding?

ReputationRep:
    Catered food really isn't that bad, plus the catered halls are ususally more sociable as everyone goes down to dinner together on the first day and me and my flat mates all went to dinner together all year, was really good actually.
    Catered is also alot easier for your first time away from home, try not to worry too much about the stuff your not looking frwrd too or it ul make the move harder

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.