A2 Further Maths in '09 Watch

etp
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
For the people who are doing AS+A2 further maths this year, does that mean we are eligible for an A*?

I heard they're also changing the content in a few subjects, is maths affected (OCR MEI specifically) and if so, can we enter for the previous specification instead?
nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
No, they're only for A2s certificated in 2010... sorry!
etp
Rep:
?
Oh, great, thanks
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
According to the EDEXCEL GCE 2008 website, Maths and FP Maths are the only subjects that WILL be examined at AS and A2 level under the new spec in June 2009. This could be an error of course.
http://www.edexcel.com/notices/Pages...ition2008.aspx

If it's true then other boards MAY be planning to do the same. If you can't find out from the OCR website email them or talk to your teacher when school/college starts.

There has been some change to the maths specs that affects Decision and FP units. Some stuff has been juggled around to better balance the units. Loads of info on Edexcel site, expect there is on OCR as well.

Don't want to re-open the A* debate but I don't understand the obsession.
etp
Rep:
?
Oh, There is no obsession about A*, It's mainly about whether there's a new specification or not. As I'm self-teaching I'd rather use the old :P
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gdunne42)
According to the EDEXCEL GCE 2008 website, Maths and FP Maths are the only subjects that WILL be examined at AS and A2 level under the new spec in June 2009. This could be an error of course.
http://www.edexcel.com/notices/Pages...ition2008.aspx
Quite. If you think about it, it is obvious that this should be so. Most students doing maths and further maths A levels will do all the maths modules in the first year, leaving the further maths ones for the second, and meaning that it must be possible to do a full maths A level to the new specification in the first year - including being able to attain an A* grade.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.26%
No - I got the required grades (109)
59.24%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise