Eyesight Watch

Brightstar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
The last time I went to the opticians they gave me a prescription of -1.25
in both eyes but I don't know how bad that is.
I haven't been wearing my glasses at all hardly and I keep getting dizzy a lot which I think is from eyestrain.
The problem is - I don't know whether I should wear them all the time - would that make my eyes worse?
Lithium
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Brightstar)
I haven't been wearing my glasses at all hardly and I keep getting dizzy a lot which I think is from eyestrain.
The problem is - I don't know whether I should wear them all the time - would that make my eyes worse?
I think you should ask your optician. But generally, glasses are worn all the time (unless told otherwise). And no, wearing them won't make your eyes worse
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
-1.25 isn't that bad tbh, not to me at least! The more you deviate from 0 the worse it is, and minus numbers make you short sighted like me. Personally I am roughly -5 in both eyes which means I certainly do need to wear glasses/contact lenses all the time.

However for -1.25 I'd be tempted to only use them when it's especially important to be able to see things a long way off.
RobbieH
Report 10 years ago
-1.25 is not bad. My eyes are almost twice as bad as tis_me_lord.
Mel16
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Getting dizzy from eyestrain? I've never had that happen (and I've worn glasses for years, and quite often get headaches/eyestrain from being on the computer too much). You might want to check that out.

As for whether you should wear them all the time, you should ask your optician. I can see fine without mine, except from when I'm looking at the blackboard etc., so I don't need to wear them all the time. But I do need to wear them for reading and computer work, despite the fact I can see just as well while doing that without my glasses, so just because you can see ok doesn't mean you don't need them.
vergerefosh
Report 10 years ago
I'd use them for driving etc, looking at the board from back of the classroom etc. Short sighted, but not entirely sure what my prescription is, but I only really use them for driving, looking at the board and archery.
crazyhelicopter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lithium)
I think you should ask your optician. But generally, glasses are worn all the time (unless told otherwise). And no, wearing them won't make your eyes worse
I was told that if you had glasses for reading etc an wore them all the time your eyes would become reliant on the glasses and your eyes would get worse
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by crazyhelicopter)
I was told that if you had glasses for reading etc an wore them all the time your eyes would become reliant on the glasses and your eyes would get worse
Not true AFAIK, and certainly I've never been told that by an optician. I've been wearing glasses at the same (fairly mild) prescription for about 5 years now. My Dad's had the same one for about 30, I think. I'd have thought you'd do more damage straining to see if you can't focus properly than by having a minor refractive correction which means your lens can then work normally.

Personally I don't need my glasses the whole time; I can perform normal activities around the house just fine. I wear them partly out of habit and partly because it's just easier to be able to see perfectly when I need to, rather than have to find my glasses again as soon as I want to look at something a little bit further away.
swatjosh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Haha -1.25 don't make me laugh thats not bad, don't need glasses or contact lenses all the time. What I will say is I am 8 times worse than you. -10. And believe my I can't see anything without contact lenses, my glasses are like 3 cm thick. Thats why I don't wear them. I hope to get laser eye surgery.
*Passion*Fruit*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
[QUOTE=tis_me_lord]Personally I am roughly -5 QUOTE]
I have no idea what mine is, i've never asked though, maybe the opts are too nice not to tell me mine lol.

OP
don't worry about it, it's not that bad, I have to sit literally right in front of the tv to see it especially if there are subtitles and my nose is about 6cm literally from touching the computer screen when i'm trying to read.
New Username
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am about -6 .....so blind :w00t:

No they won't make your eyes worse, rather they are to help your eyes focus better. :yep:
-ch1ck-
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Brightstar)
-1.25 isn't bad at all. You don't NEED to wear glasses all the time but they are required for driving, looking at the blackboard etc n watching tv. However, you may prefer to wear them all the time because you generally become used to being able to see perfectly.

I am -1.50 and wear contact lenses.
Lithium
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Not true AFAIK, and certainly I've never been told that by an optician. I've been wearing glasses at the same (fairly mild) prescription for about 5 years now. My Dad's had the same one for about 30, I think. I'd have thought you'd do more damage straining to see if you can't focus properly than by having a minor refractive correction which means your lens can then work normally.

Personally I don't need my glasses the whole time; I can perform normal activities around the house just fine. I wear them partly out of habit and partly because it's just easier to be able to see perfectly when I need to, rather than have to find my glasses again as soon as I want to look at something a little bit further away.
:ditto:
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
-1.25 is nothing at all. You can but -1.25 reading glasses over the counter in a lot of shops... you know the really small ones
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.24%
No (203)
72.76%

Watched Threads