A graphics card you could fry an egg on! Watch

Altocirrus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hello,

I’ve just noticed a slight burning smell coming from my Dell desktop. I switched it off and whipped off the side panel- the PSU and motherboard seemed quite hot but the one that really struck me was the graphics card. The metal heat sink was so hot that it would burn your fingers if you touched it for more than a second or so!

I had just been running a fairly graphics-intense game, so that would have been pushing the system, especially the graphics card, quite hard. I have no idea how hot these things normally run, but I’m guessing a burning smell, although very slight, isn’t a good thing. I’ve switched it back on, and it seems fine.

So, do graphics cards normally get this hot, or do you think I’ve got an overheating problem? If so, how do you think I could overcome it?

Thanks!
spikeymike
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You could lower the settings of the game - reduce the resolution, lower the frame rate, pretty much lower what you can. Is it quite dusty inside the case? Because it was quite clogged up then clearly the airflow won't be too good. What game are you playing?
wizard710
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, dust is probably the problem, how old is the computer
Ghost
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It is definately common for cards to get extremely hot. Especially ATI ones. With my ATI card, I had to download ATI Tool Tray and manually adjust the card's fan speed so that it would go at 100% speed at lower temps.
omicronlyrae
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Depends on the card, really. Some cards do get extraordinarily hot.
gamer91
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
graphics cards do tend to be the hottest component in a system, especially very high end ones the new ATI 4870x2 has a load temperature of 95* (but remember that that is generated by two cores, not one - the new nvidia gtx 280 has load temps of about 85*)
conroe-killed-the-k8-star
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Graphics cards can run quite hot sometimes - my 8800GT can run up to 85 degrees depending on the game.They certainly should not be running as hot as you're describing (although the new Radeon 4850s do run very hot) with there being a smell of burning so the card is certainly overheating which will shorten its life span.Download Rivatuner here and set it to log temps in the background to a file when you're gaming so you can get some idea of how hot the card is - if it's above 95 degrees then there's an overheating problem.

As said above , dust in the heatsink would compromise it but also there might be an issue with the thermal paste between the GPU and the heatsink so you might need to dismantle the heatsink and apply new paste.You can also get a third party heatsink if necessary - the Arctic Cooling Accelero ones are particularly good.
spikeymike
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Note that Rivatuner only works with Nvidia and ATi graphics cards.... we don't even know what gfx card the OP has
gamer91
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by spikeymike)
Note that Rivatuner only works with Nvidia and ATi graphics cards.... we don't even know what gfx card the OP has
chances are they haven't bought a s3 chrome 400
joey11223
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol there isnt much else available apart from nVidia or ATI unless he's got some weird 3d graphics one.
Altocirrus
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thanks for the replies guys!

My PC is nearly 2 years old (it was one of the first AMD Dells) and this is the first time I’ve needed to take the cover off, so it has accumulated a bit of dust. Not too much though, I wouldn't have thought it would be enough to cause problems. Still, I'll give it a blast with a can of compressed air and hopefully that'll do the trick.

I was running LOMAC, with the graphics settings on mid-high, which I thought my PC would easily cope with (the game is 5 years old so has fairly modest requirements). The frame rate was pretty smooth, so no sign that the graphics settings needed to be lowered.

I probably should have mentioned what the card was :rolleyes: . It’s a 256Mb ATI Radeon X1300Pro, the processor is a 2.4GHz Athlon 64, and I’ve got half a gig of ram.

I’ve tried RivaTuner; I'm probably just being thick but I can’t work out how to display temperatures. I’ve tried a couple of other applications too (Speedfan and ATITool), and they don’t display temperatures either (though Speedfan displays core and hard drive temperatures). Is it possible that my card doesn't have a temperature sensor?

Anyway, hopefully the dusting will do the trick!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (131)
46.45%
Pro-humanity (151)
53.55%

Watched Threads