Turn on thread page Beta

History Application -4Bs at AS watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am asking about this for my brother as although I am at Uni I was not in the same position as him.

Basically he got 4Bs at AS level and wants to know what universities are accessable to him. We have done research but the more important question that we need answering is how likely is it he can actually get offers from solid traditional unis like the following - Birmingham, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle, Nottingham etc,

There standard offer seems to be AAB/ABB which is concerning, but how likely is it they will give out offers to candidates with BBBB at AS but predicted AAB at A2

He also got good GCSEs - 1A*, 8A, 3B

Any anecdotal evidence of people recieving offers last year to Birmingham/Nottingham/Newcastle/Liverpool/Leeds/Newcastle/Manchester etc with BBBB at AS would be very welcome and also anyone who knows generally how prevelent it is.

Thanks alot

ReputationRep:
    that is likely to be possible..i only entered two of my AS grades for UCAS, as i declined them, so had B for AS english, A for Literature..and my actual results were ABBBC, and got predicted AABB..I got solid offers from Edinburgh, Exeter, LSE and Southampton..so yeah

predicted grades are more important than AS grades, how far off were the Bs from As..if its close, should be alright.and make sure your brother has a killer Personal Statement!!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't overdo it though...remember he has to meet these offers if he gets them, so make sure he gets some "lower-end" universities in there just in case. How many modules is he going to have to resit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam o0o)
    Don't overdo it though...remember he has to meet these offers if he gets them, so make sure he gets some "lower-end" universities in there just in case. How many modules is he going to have to resit?

Yes the plan is to go with something along the lines of

Nottingham
    Birmingham
    Liverpool
    Lancaster
    leicester

Another question, can universities now see your individual module grades? I know they could not when I applied a couple of years ago but I heard this was changing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon123)

Nottingham
    Birmingham
    Liverpool
    Lancaster
    leicester

Another question, can universities now see your individual module grades? I know they could not when I applied a couple of years ago but I heard this was changing?
    As far as I know, not unless you tell them to or you are applying to Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Leicester, Reading and Liverpool are possibly examples of great unis that would still be likely to give offers to someone with BBBB. I got pretty good AS grades but was rejected from Warwick and Durham so other factors can come into play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon123)

Nottingham
    Birmingham
    Liverpool
    Lancaster
    leicester

Good choices there; should be OK with AAB predictions for those provided the PS is good. It is not compulsory to put module grades on your UCAS form but you do have to put down the AS grades if they were certificated, in which case not putting the module grades down as well might look a bit odd.
    However, I would just make one point: it can be very stressful to be 'over-predicted' so if AAB is a stretch, worth considering a BBB option to go in there as well (but don't be fooled, not Edinburgh!).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 2, 2008

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.