The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge (maths)

Can someone please give me some advice!! I’m having trouble choosing between oxford and Cambridge. Here’s my list for each uni.

Cambridge:
This is the first one I looked at, I’d been on a school trip here and it was the only university I’d ever visited in my life. Also my parents really liked it because one of my cousins had received an offer from Cambridge. I really really like at johns college at Cambridge. It has really good bursaries too. Overall I think I like the vibe of Cambridge better than oxford.

Oxford:
I like the compulsory modules better here, so I like the course better. Also my school maths teacher told me that the oxford entrance exam is much easier than the Cambridge one. The main reason for this is that it happens in November of year 13 unlike the Cambridge ones that happen during alevels. (I don’t really want extra exams while I’m doing a-lévela) also I’ve looked at both and the Cambridge one looks impossible, I know I have a lot more time to prepare but I’d much rather take the oxford one. The problem with oxford can is that I cannot find a college that I really like in oxford nearly as much as I like at johns. Also oxfords a bit more of a city than Cambridge and I don’t want that (I grew up in London and I want a change, somewhere calmer)! Also the bursaries aren’t as good at oxford and I come from a low-income family so this is something that’s quite important to me!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Can someone please give me some advice!! I’m having trouble choosing between oxford and Cambridge. Here’s my list for each uni.

Cambridge:
This is the first one I looked at, I’d been on a school trip here and it was the only university I’d ever visited in my life. Also my parents really liked it because one of my cousins had received an offer from Cambridge. I really really like at johns college at Cambridge. It has really good bursaries too. Overall I think I like the vibe of Cambridge better than oxford.

Oxford:
I like the compulsory modules better here, so I like the course better. Also my school maths teacher told me that the oxford entrance exam is much easier than the Cambridge one. The main reason for this is that it happens in November of year 13 unlike the Cambridge ones that happen during alevels. (I don’t really want extra exams while I’m doing a-lévela) also I’ve looked at both and the Cambridge one looks impossible, I know I have a lot more time to prepare but I’d much rather take the oxford one. The problem with oxford can is that I cannot find a college that I really like in oxford nearly as much as I like at johns. Also oxfords a bit more of a city than Cambridge and I don’t want that (I grew up in London and I want a change, somewhere calmer)! Also the bursaries aren’t as good at oxford and I come from a low-income family so this is something that’s quite important to me!

Are you applying this October?

Oxford’s a little more city like than Cambridge, but there are plenty of quiet parts to the city and it’s nothing like London. You might want to consider a college with open spaces a little out of town like LMH, Worcester or St Hugh’s.

What made you like John’s so much?
Reply 2
Yes I’m applying this October! I liked that at johns was central, and that it was pretty, most accommodation was en-suite. I’ve heard good things about the food (some bad things too). The food/accommodation is cheap compared to many other colleges. They have a really great bursary scheme and lots of other grants. Also their library is really nice and it’s open 24/7. And it’s on the river and there’s big gardens. I really like it even though it’s quite central and can be busy, I don’t mind that but I feel like I get a calmer vibe from Cambridge (may not be true). I don’t think I want to go to a far-out college, even though it’ll be “calmer”.
Reply 3
Yes I’m applying this October! I liked that at johns was central, and that it was pretty, most accommodation was en-suite. I’ve heard good things about the food (some bad things too). The food/accommodation is cheap compared to many other colleges. They have a really great bursary scheme and lots of other grants. Also their library is really nice and it’s open 24/7. And it’s on the river and there’s big gardens. I really like it even though it’s quite central and can be busy, I don’t mind that but I feel like I get a calmer vibe from Cambridge (may not be true). I don’t think I want to go to a far-out college, even though it’ll be “calmer”.

Have you considered John's at Oxford, which is certainly rich, and I understand to have cheap rents and generous grants. It is fairly central, with nice grounds inside and I think guaranteed accommodation for 4 years. It also has a decent size cohort of mathematicians each year.
Reply 4
St. John is actually the main college i was considering at Oxford! Although I’ve heard the food isn’t amazing, which is the only thing that put me off a little. I was also considering Somerville but i honestly hate the architecture so i dont want to live there :/ don’t know if this is a valid reason. Also update: i recieved my predicted grades this morning and they were a bit lower than i expected i got A*AAA, A* in maths, and an A in further maths. As my predicted grades are lower than the typical applicants, i think applying to oxford is a better idea as they can also see my score on the MAT, where as Cambridge would only be able to look at my grades and personal statement. Hopefully i can prove to Oxford that I’m not terrible at maths by doing well in the MAT.

The main issue i have now is that I haven’t 100% chosen a college. St. John’s was the first oxford college i looked at because i was looking at St. John’s at Cambridge and i thought why not look at johns at oxford. I did quite like it but I feel like I haven’t looked at enough colleges to decide on one. So are there any other colleges you think i might like and that i should look into? Thank you so much teh advice you’ve given me!!
St. John is actually the main college i was considering at Oxford! Although I’ve heard the food isn’t amazing, which is the only thing that put me off a little. I was also considering Somerville but i honestly hate the architecture so i dont want to live there :/ don’t know if this is a valid reason. Also update: i recieved my predicted grades this morning and they were a bit lower than i expected i got A*AAA, A* in maths, and an A in further maths. As my predicted grades are lower than the typical applicants, i think applying to oxford is a better idea as they can also see my score on the MAT, where as Cambridge would only be able to look at my grades and personal statement. Hopefully i can prove to Oxford that I’m not terrible at maths by doing well in the MAT.

The main issue i have now is that I haven’t 100% chosen a college. St. John’s was the first oxford college i looked at because i was looking at St. John’s at Cambridge and i thought why not look at johns at oxford. I did quite like it but I feel like I haven’t looked at enough colleges to decide on one. So are there any other colleges you think i might like and that i should look into? Thank you so much teh advice you’ve given me!!

I quite liked University College when I visited there, and Merton has a good reputation from what I’ve heard
Reply 6
Also I’ve heard that St. John’s is one of the most competitive colleges at oxford, which is also putting me off, especially as i dont have the best predicted grades
Reply 7
Original post by laurawatt
I quite liked University College when I visited there, and Merton has a good reputation from what I’ve heard

Thank you, ill look into both!! :-)
Reply 9
Thank you :-) I’ll check it out!
Original post by laurawatt

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending