Postponing job for a masters course

Watch
tacotaco2434
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi, I recently graduated and was due to start my grad job in August but because of the pandemic, the start date has been postponed until April. I don't want to have such a long gap of unemployment on my CV, would it be reasonable to apply for a masters course (the ones I have looked into have not reached their deadline yet) and then ask the company if they can postpone my start date until after my course is finished?
yeetouttawindow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
problem is mscs finishes in august therefore they'd have to push back until september
tacotaco2434
Rep:
?
Also, I do want to add that the masters course that I am looking into is directly relevant to the job so hopefully, it will help with career advancement.
fefssdf
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Take the grad job? Jobs are hard to come by and if it’s something you were excited about doing originally I think you should go for it. Just think whether you would regret this if you do the masters and then end up in a job that isn’t as good at this one you have the offer for?
tacotaco2434
Rep:
?
(Original post by fefssdf)
Take the grad job? Jobs are hard to come by and if it’s something you were excited about doing originally I think you should go for it. Just think whether you would regret this if you do the masters and then end up in a job that isn’t as good at this one you have the offer for?
I want to ask the company if they would be willing to postpone the start date until after the course is over. If they say no, then by all means I wont do the course but I was curious about my options.
yeetouttawindow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by tacotaco2434)
I want to ask the company if they would be willing to postpone the start date until after the course is over. If they say no, then by all means I wont do the course but I was curious about my options.
imo if you said wait until september they'd give the job to the person who was second best
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by tacotaco2434)
Hi, I recently graduated and was due to start my grad job in August but because of the pandemic, the start date has been postponed until April. I don't want to have such a long gap of unemployment on my CV, would it be reasonable to apply for a masters course (the ones I have looked into have not reached their deadline yet) and then ask the company if they can postpone my start date until after my course is finished?
There's no issue about having a gap on your CV a)in most cases anyway and b) if you've already got a confirmed offer. It would be daft to give up a job for a Masters, just because there was a delay in the job starting.

However, it might be worth talking to the company, because there comes a point where they have to understand people are holding on to their offer, but earning nothing. Asking to defer until after a Masters (and if its relevant, why not ask about some funding?) puts pressure on them to either let you start, or admit they don't need the role. Be aware, they could also let you go though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (517)
33.72%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.36%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads