The Student Room Group

Tips on revising Mandarin or Spanish gcse

Hey I am going into year 10 and I am wondering what technique I should use for revising my language and how you kept motivated (btw I am not a native speaker in both the languages)
- Prioritise learning your tenses and their endings (for Spanish) - for this id just try to memorise them by covering them and trying to say them from memory. (You’ll thank yourself later on), practice writing with them as well
- Translation practice is so important- I think there are cgp books (for Spanish at least) that are very helpful and have translations - really allows you to also practice recognising the different tenses as well which is good practice for translations in reading and writing exams
- quizlet vocab quizzes are great to do, especially with words you’re less likely to recognise (using unfamiliar vocab from class and Gcse vocab lists for the subject)
- make sure you’re good at understanding the spoken language (even when spoken fast), maybe watch shows in that language with English subtitles to better familiarise yourself); after that I’d advise doing listening exercises repetitively in the language for practice

Quick Reply

Latest