What specifically do TSR Tories want a future Conservative government to do? Watch

Oswy
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
There's a good chance that the Conservatives will win the next general election. But what do the young Tories here at TSR expect by way of specifically implemented policies? How hopeful are you that your ideal policy implementations will come to pass in a Tory term, or two. How disappointed would you be if your specific policy goals are not fulfilled at the end of such a period?

What about the rest of us - what do non-Tories expect a future Conservative government to do by way of specific policies?

Personally, given that the Tories are being very careful not to reveal their specific policies at the moment it's hard to know what they'll aim for - other than the possible reintroduction of fox-hunting for the horsie types. I would like to know what they might do with university access - especially as many Tories here at TSR seem to lament its widening - though any curbing might be a vote loser, so it's certainly an interesting one.

So, any views from either Tories or non-Tories?
burninginme
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, it wouldn't be too difficult for any party to make an improvement on Blair, and his chimpanzee Brown.
CHAMON
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've always been a Labour supporter. But considering the fiasco of Iraq/Afghanistan, and the state the country is getting into (crimes, stabbings, loss of confidential data and whatnot) I'm seriously considering supporting the Tories.
Oswy
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok, but these look like negative reasons for voting Tory - I'm interested in what people specifically want the Tories to do.
Captain Crash
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CHAMON)
I've always been a Labour supporter. But considering the fiasco of Iraq/Afghanistan, and the state the country is getting into (crimes, stabbings, loss of confidential data and whatnot) I'm seriously considering supporting the Tories.
(Original post by burninginme)
Well, it wouldn't be too difficult for any party to make an improvement on Blair, and his chimpanzee Brown.
Then why vote tory rather than say the Lib Dems?
CHAMON
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Captain Crash)
Then why vote tory rather than say the Lib Dems?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA HA HA HA...
Agent Smith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Repeal everything. Starting with the Terrorism Act.

Pull down CCTV cameras, let all the darkies out of Belmarsh, relax the gun and drug laws, decriminalise tobacco and generally do their level best to turn Britain into Reagan's America.

Fat chance, I know But they're better than the alternatives.
Jaager
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thats almost as bad as hilary supporters voting republican because he didnt win...

Personally i think labour will win the next election, but it will be on a small majority, then at the general election after that, then someone else might win...possibly the tories, but we dont really want to see that...

as for Policies, i dunno, Bring back the death Penalty? :p:
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Agent Smith)
Pull down CCTV cameras
Damn Labour putting up CCTV and speed cameras to the dismay of the tories! :rolleyes:
01kij114
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Exile David Cameron, George Osbourne and Boris Johnson to a colony and abolish the conservative party. I'm sure what Cameron will do is spend two hours a day hugging hoodies. Osbourne will probably see how much cash he can make from been chancellor, thats if Cameron does not keep him below stairs. Johnson shame hes in power really, he will probably invade Britanny and put all immigrants there just like hes always wanted.
Agent Smith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 01kij114)
Exile David Cameron, George Osbourne and Boris Johnson to a colony and abolish the conservative party. I'm sure what Cameron will do is spend two hours a day hugging hoodies. Osbourne will probably see how much cash he can make from been chancellor, thats if Cameron does not keep him below stairs. Johnson shame hes in power really, he will probably invade Britanny and put all immigrants there just like hes always wanted.
Labour MP
Defence Minister
Join the Labour Party Today
MUN Representative for the United Kingdom
Security Council Representative for the United Kingdom
LOL
Nefarious
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Repeal everything. Starting with the Terrorism Act.

Pull down CCTV cameras, let all the darkies out of Belmarsh, relax the gun and drug laws, decriminalise tobacco and generally do their level best to turn Britain into Reagan's America.

Fat chance, I know But they're better than the alternatives.
There's more chance of the Tories passing a law forbidding the wearing of clothes in the commons than that happening. They might abolish the waste of money cards and a few of Labour's stupider ideas but broadly speaking I doubt there'll be any huge change.

The trouble with the Conservative party is that they can't do anything at all without alienating half their membership and for that reason alone they'll be a significant improvement over most political parties.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 01kij114)
yesssssssss
I don't think Labour get to shout people down until 'Browns Fightback' if it ever happens
AnythingButChardonnay
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Reduce bureaucracy and lower taxes.
Captain Crash
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA HA HA HA...
Something funny with what I said?

I'll rephrase it - If Labour are so bad, what exactly is it that's making you vote Tory over the alternatives?
nearlyheadlessian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would imagine that they wouldn't do very much at all. That's the whole point of any policy they develop
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jaager)
Thats almost as bad as hilary supporters voting republican because he didnt win...

Personally i think labour will win the next election, but it will be on a small majority, then at the general election after that, then someone else might win...possibly the tories, but we dont really want to see that...

as for Policies, i dunno, Bring back the death Penalty? :p:
They can't bring back the death penalty without leaving the EU, which Cameron has ruled out. I think it was only really David Davis left in the shadow cabinet who was that bothered about it anyway, and I think he pretty much blew any chance of career advancement when he started getting principles.

I think it's looking very likely that they'll try to reduce the time limit for abortions, but hopefully there'll be enough Labour and Lib Dem MPs left to block that. If John Redwood gets his way, I think they'll probably want to start treating rape within relationships as a "lesser" crime (an argument between lovers, was it?) than "stranger rape", but I'm not certain how in touch Redwood is with the Tory leadership on that issue.
Captain Crash
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Judging by the rhetoric of mending Britain's broken society, I doubt the Tories will be willing to do any of this.
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
What I would want the tories to do? Take a step towards increasing our liberty and here a few ways they might possibly go about that (hard to tell of course with their stance on policy giving, in that they don't actually give them, but these are probably fair assumptions):

- Repeal the hunting ban
- Possibly repeal 42 days
- Possibly make cannabis class C again
- Oppose ID cards and other such crazy schemes
- Work against police/NHS etc targets, cut out some paperwork
- Lower taxes, move more towards privitisation
- Decrease benefits, not increase minimum wage etc

What are they more likely to do? Oppose some unpopular labour policy but more for the sake of gaining support rather than valuing liberalism. Move towards the economic freedoms I suggested above but possibly more because they just like being rich, as opposed to it being a philosophy they really believe in. But I guess whatever their motives if they do the right things, then jolly good!

The strategy of opposing anything the opposition does will not be effective if/when they come into power, however. When the burden is on them it'll be interesting to see what mistakes they make - and it will be labours turn to then cash in on it. It seems negative campaigns are more effective than positive ones these days.

Personally I still see the lib dems as a better alternative to labour than the tories are. I trust them more to actually believe in their cause (a vaguely socially liberal economically central cause, that is) - tories will contradict themselves a lot I feel for example they say they oppose 42 days but then they want to limit abortion times...
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
Reduce bureaucracy and lower taxes.
Sorry did you say increase the national debt?

Maggie didnt manage to reduce bureaucracy I doubt Cameroon can.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (757)
80.36%
Leave (185)
19.64%

Watched Threads