melmel2345
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Guys I would really appreciate if someone can help me out. Basically for A Levels I was going to pick: Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I haven’t decided on what I want to do in the future but I may be studying medicine in the future. Before I made my choices, I was looking at Oxbridge and what their requirements were and they only wanted Chemistry with either Physics, Biology or Maths. I thought it was the same for all universities but recently I’ve looked at other universities and they want Biology and Chemistry together in order to study medicine. Personally I don’t really want to study Biology. I was happy with the options that I had originally picked but at the same time I may not be accepted to Oxbridge so I would have to study Biology in order to do Medicine at a different university. What do you think I should do?
zub_k
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you are interested in studying medicine, then I recommend you take Biology. However, there are many other universities besides Oxbridge that offer Medicine without Biology. If you really must, then don’t do biology. Physics is really interesting at A level, but it can be quite challenging. If you want to make it easier for yourself, you could do Biology instead of Physics.
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are still quite a few options for med school with Chemistry + another science (Newcastle is the obvious one with no subject requirements, Bristol, QUB, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Dundee, Glasgow, Aberdeen, St Andrews, and UCLan). You can have a look at the amazing Keels25’s spreadsheet with colour-coded entry requirements here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/att...4&d=1594323463

Ultimately, though, if you can stomach doing Biology you’ll have a lot more options (especially useful if you have lower GCSEs/end up doing less well on the UCAT), but you can absolutely apply to 4 med schools without it, and get an offer to study medicine! It might also be worth thinking about why you want to do medicine, but not Biology A level (you may well have very good reasons, but just throwing it out there)?
Last edited by becausethenight; 1 month ago
melmel2345
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
There are still quite a few options for med school with Chemistry + another science (Newcastle is the obvious one with no subject requirements, Bristol, QUB, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Dundee, Glasgow, Aberdeen, St Andrews, and UCLan). You can have a look at the amazing Keels25’s spreadsheet with colour-coded entry requirements here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/att...4&d=1594323463

Ultimately, though, if you can stomach doing Biology you’ll have a lot more options (especially useful if you have lower GCSEs/end up doing less well on the UCAT), but you can absolutely apply to 4 med schools without it, and get an offer to study medicine! It might also be worth thinking about why you want to do medicine, but not Biology A level (you may well have very good reasons, but just throwing it out there)?
Thank you so much for attaching the spreadsheet!! I mean I would prefer to do physics over biology as I enjoy physics more. Also, I don't have a clear career pathway yet. I'm stuck between engineering (I don't even know what type of engineering) , computer science, and medicine. My mind is just 🤯🤯 at the moment. But once again thank you SOOO MUCHH!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (0)
0%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (0)
0%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (0)
0%
No, I haven't received any communication (2)
100%

Watched Threads