Internet in the halls Watch

Vimms29
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Im confused (im often confused, which is probably why i did geology- rocks either sit there or explode and telling the difference between the two is relatively easy) about how internet in the halls works, apparently it is included in the price of the room but i got a leaflet for ask4 broadband, which suggests it is extra. Any help?
DashofLemon
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, and is there a limit on how much you can download? I read in another thread it was 100mb/day, which is just a few youtube videos so it has to be more.
username97881
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Everything's changed this year so you can ignore all the internet related stuff on here!

As far as I know, Ask4 basic internet is included in the price of the room but you can pay for upgraded speed and add-ons like Internet TV and a second MAC address (techies will understand, lol).

There should be no limit on downloads with the new company; the old company did indeed limit usage to 100MB/day but they've been outed.

You will need a Cat5 Ethernet Cable and an Ethernet port on your computer - there is no wireless internet access in halls.

|| Sam x
tcm1106
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SSH769)
Everything's changed this year so you can ignore all the internet related stuff on here!

As far as I know, Ask4 basic internet is included in the price of the room but you can pay for upgraded speed and add-ons like Internet TV and a second MAC address (techies will understand, lol).

There should be no limit on downloads with the new company; the old company did indeed limit usage to 100MB/day but they've been outed.

You will need a Cat5 Ethernet Cable and an Ethernet port on your computer - there is no wireless internet access in halls.

|| Sam x
Aha Mr Tennis Courts himself is back :-)
Re internet, don't bother paying for any of the extras, the basic package is excellent. The internet at QHC was provided by ask4 and we were getting 50mb download speeds just on the basic package! (Yes I do mean 50mb!) Also the IPTV can be watched without having to subscribe to it...!
username97881
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tcm1106)
Aha Mr Tennis Courts himself is back :-)
Re internet, don't bother paying for any of the extras, the basic package is excellent. The internet at QHC was provided by ask4 and we were getting 50mb download speeds just on the basic package! (Yes I do mean 50mb!) Also the IPTV can be watched without having to subscribe to it...!
Yes I'm back!! V Fest, then Reading straight after, a couple of days to recover and now I'm back to help, lol.

Glad to hear of more positives of Ask4, I attended the initial consultation meeting between Ask4 and the University big-wigs, was really eye opening, and I'm so glad they got the contract!!

|| Sam x
Vimms29
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
yay, thanks for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Jun '19

Are you chained to your phone?