Student Loans Company applying pressure methods on their loan figure

Watch
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Martin Lewis is calling out the SLC to remove the 'total debt' and 'fast repayment tool' from their site. Lewis says this gives a false picture of the burden on students, given that a large percentage will never repay their loans under the stated arrangements.
https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ding-graduates

It does seem as if this is a wheeze that the SLC have come up with to apply psychological pressure and try to push students into repayments they wouldn't otherwise have to make. Perhaps the Nudge Unit have come up with this one - they are responsible for many manipulative things the government currently does, although they have been ineffective bordering on useless during the Covid crisis.

Students don't need to repay their student loans early.
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
How is having an option to repay some/all of your loan early “psychological pressure”? What about the wealthy that would rather pay some/all of it off early?

Would you rather students just pretended that university isn’t incredibly expensive at £9,250 a year (or more if you’re an international student)?

Not seeing the total balance doesn’t mean that the person isn’t in a huge amount of debt.
Last edited by RedGiant; 6 months ago
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I think calling it a loan is misleading. It is nothing like a loan and much more like a tax. Personally I think all students should incur the student tax on the same terms.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by RedGiant)
How is having an option to repay some/all of your loan early “psychological pressure”? What about the wealthy that would rather pay some/all of it off early?

Would you rather students just pretended that university isn’t incredibly expensive at £9,250 a year (or more if you’re an international student)?

Not seeing the total balance doesn’t mean that the person isn’t in a huge amount of debt.
Well because it's neglecting to point out that in reality there is zero pressure to repay it early and plenty of solid reasons to leave it to the state to collect it when you do earn enough. It's a bit of a con in other words.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I don't see the problem with this at all. Yes its more of a tax than a loan, but why would you log into the student loans system? To see your debt. What's probably the second most common reason? To pay some of it back.

This guy is literally saying 'make your website less useful please'. A complete non-issue.

The bigger issue for me is, if so little of these loans will be repaid, is it even worth the administration costs of running a loans system any more?
Last edited by nexttime; 5 months ago
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
If students aren't intelligent enough to understand the terms of their loan then the loan was utterly wasted on them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (406)
56.23%
I don't have everything I need (316)
43.77%

Watched Threads