Anon2308
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I was a mature student when I started university. My A levels weren't great and I didn't want to go to uni. Then after 3 years I decided to go and have loved my course. I already know what I want to do for my Master's and have found a supervisor at Cambridge, however I don't know if I'm smart enough! I will hopefully get at least a 2:1 at uni, borderline 1st but I am unsure if I will pass at a top level university. Has anyone been in a similar situation where they don't know they're good enough?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anon2308)
I was a mature student when I started university. My A levels weren't great and I didn't want to go to uni. Then after 3 years I decided to go and have loved my course. I already know what I want to do for my Master's and have found a supervisor at Cambridge, however I don't know if I'm smart enough! I will hopefully get at least a 2:1 at uni, borderline 1st but I am unsure if I will pass at a top level university. Has anyone been in a similar situation where they don't know they're good enough?
That's the experience of pretty much all applicants and offer holders to Cambridge - the aura of the name is powerful - the truth is very different. At Masters level there's very little comparison of grades etc. I'm a current mature student, and I have no idea how my grades compare with others, we don't discuss it. And, perhaps because of my perspective as a mature student, when I listen to someone say something in class and think either 'Blimey, how come they don't understand that' or 'Blimey, why don't I understand that?' I know it's pretty much because of the diversity of our backgrounds. There are aspects of my course that I struggle with and other aspects I find easy - because I've missed/forgotten some things because of my academic background and I've got strengths because of my experience.

So ultimately, don't make it your decision. You are relatively uninformed about the quality needed at Cambridge, the admissions team are very well informed. So if they make you an offer, it's because they are telling you that you have the ability. Trust that.
Anon2308
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thank you so much. You're right. They wouldn't accept me if I'm not right! Good luck with your studies!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (6)
15.79%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (11)
28.95%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (21)
55.26%

Watched Threads