Voxdei
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Our intrepid English system sends me off to fend for myself and find a school if I want to train (things are not looking good for the Buckingham option - Seldon gone, and uni in financial difficulties, plus all sorts of combinations of fees and who to pay - a bit like Meryl Streep singing Money, Money, Money in Mamma Mia I).

IOE no longer partnering with School Direct in the future (that tells me a lot for the coming years).

Can we train in a sensible IB school and still gain a PGCE (god knows by what system, who pays who, who pays the school, etc).

How to make Ofted understand that I don't want to be "challenged" by hardship schools, I want to do my hours (apparently by Bucks 10 to 12 hours a week is just fine) and then devote the rest of the day to the PGCE, undisturbed by nonsense ?

IB: I am sure that they are hitching up their skirts and running away in horror at the idea !
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Voxdei)
Our intrepid English system sends me off to fend for myself and find a school if I want to train (things are not looking good for the Buckingham option - Seldon gone, and uni in financial difficulties, plus all sorts of combinations of fees and who to pay - a bit like Meryl Streep singing Money, Money, Money in Mamma Mia I).

IOE no longer partnering with School Direct in the future (that tells me a lot for the coming years).

Can we train in a sensible IB school and still gain a PGCE (god knows by what system, who pays who, who pays the school, etc).

How to make Ofted understand that I don't want to be "challenged" by hardship schools, I want to do my hours (apparently by Bucks 10 to 12 hours a week is just fine) and then devote the rest of the day to the PGCE, undisturbed by nonsense ?

IB: I am sure that they are hitching up their skirts and running away in horror at the idea !
Are you talking about the assessment only route? AFIAK, you can't get the bursary if you're following this route.

I'm sure there are schools which offer IB who offer schools direct places- but you would still have to do a short placement in another school, and usually this would be a "contrasting" school.

I'm amazed that Bucks are saying you could get a PGCE spending just 10-12 hours a week in school. Although, I'm curious as to why you'd want a PGCE, when you clearly have no interest in teaching?
bluebeetle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

You're very misguided if you think you're going to gain QTS by just doing the 10 - 12 hours a week of contact hours and nothing more.

If you actually have a glance through the Teacher Standards, there's a good deal of stuff on there that's to do with your activities out of lesson time - marking, parents evenings, duties, clubs, staff meetings, form time, behaviour interventions etc.

Also, you do really need to work on your written communication skills if you're going into teaching, as currently the way you write is very hard to follow. You can't assume when you start a new thread on a forum that people are already familiar with your situation up to this point.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Are you talking about the assessment only route? AFIAK, you can't get the bursary if you're following this route.

I'm sure there are schools which offer IB who offer schools direct places- but you would still have to do a short placement in another school, and usually this would be a "contrasting" school.

I'm amazed that Bucks are saying you could get a PGCE spending just 10-12 hours a week in school. Although, I'm curious as to why you'd want a PGCE, when you clearly have no interest in teaching?
I think the OP is talking about a PGCE aimed at serving teachers in Private schools.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
...things are not looking good for the Buckingham option - Seldon gone,
Seldon came to the end of his 5 year contract!

I think you are looking at their PGCE aimed at serving teachers in Private schools.
Voxdei
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)

This is the I-PGCE. You can read it off their website.

I find it funny that on this list I am told that I have under-researched when I have been upbraiding each and every scheme since February (not via this channel then), and all the contradictions surface, starting off with those (I think I have run out of adjectives by now) XXXX at Sheffield Hallam that demand an IELTS test and an English GCSE, which a) they are amply covered by other diplomas and certificates I have and b) they have been told that the IELTS requirements are for non British passport holders.

Now E-Qualitas won't tell me whether it's true or not that anyone studying via Buckingham for a PGCE DOES NOT qualify for a State bursary, when only a week ago they were cheerfully saying that all was fine, can start in Jan, no need to apply via UCAS, blah blah.

I have never been treated like this before. And for Sheffield Hallam, Choral Trust (and I would think their exceptiona private school, which was the only interest on my part) just rejecting in four hours, well - what shall we call this - racist, sexist, or classist ?

The thing is, as schools will soon be recruiting tutors, I shall have first hand experience to see the quality of staff in particular at these schools. Then we shall see who does the rejecting or the article writing for the newspapers (me).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (7)
4.79%
Confident (14)
9.59%
Indifferent (15)
10.27%
Unsure (33)
22.6%
Worried (77)
52.74%

Watched Threads