do my free minutes cover Northern Ireland?

Watch
dreamqueen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I'm on an orange phone contract with 250 free 'any time any network minutes'. I want to call my friend in Northern Ireland, and I figure if I can do so with my minutes I might as well, but I don't want to rack up a huge bill! Will I be charged for calling Northern Ireland because it's overseas, or is it okay because it's part of the U.K....? Thanks!
*sparkles*
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For goodness sake...
NORTHERN IRELAND IS PART OF THE UK!!!!!!!!!!!
of course it's included in your free minutes, it's not overseas.
*sparkles*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Also, I am 100% sure about this because I live here. Our mobiles are on UK networks, it's the exact same as calling England from Scotland etc, the little bit of sea in the middle makes no difference.
I'm sorry, but it REALLY annoys mewhen people don't understand the difference between Northern Ireland and the Republic!!
coffeym
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by spikeymike)
Download this price guide PDF
http://www1.orange.co.uk/service_pla...ce_guides.html

Go to page 23

Ireland is in Europe 2, if you look below
http://193.35.136.49/servlet/Satelli...=Service&tab=2

So you'll be charged 50p per minute, and no it's no included in your free minutes
This is poor advice and incredibly ignorant.

YES it's in your bloody minutes. Is calling Wales included in your minutes? Yes. Scotland? Yes. So why the hell wouldn't NI be included as well?

Ireland \neq Northern Ireland.
dreamqueen
Rep:
?
but surely they don't distinguish between ireland and northern ireland because northern ireland is part of the U.K.?
*sparkles*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
By Ireland they mean the Republic, why would they bother to specify Northern Ireland within the UK, I'm sure they don't give different prices for Scotland, England, Wales...
You can use your free minutes, because it's within the UK. When you buy an Orange contract here, it's no different from the mainland. When you walk over the border, the network switches and then you'd be charged. Northern Ireland really is the same as calling someone down the street.
Emmerald
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you answered your own question there! NI is part of the UK so when you look at the guide the UK price includes NI! believe me! Ireland means southern Ireland not the whole of Ireland as Northern Ireland is called Northern Ireland not Ireland.

I am from NI and when I go to the south of ireland I change networks. it is a different country. when I go to England, Scotland or Wales nothing happens. I pay the same amount as I do at home.

*sparkles* it annoys me too!!!
*sparkles*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by coffeym)
This is poor advice and incredibly ignorant.

YES it's in your bloody minutes. Is calling Wales included in your minutes? Yes. Scotland? Yes. So why the hell wouldn't NI be included as well?

Ireland \neq Northern Ireland.
I agree completely! I love that we both get extremely pis*ed off and determined to correct this asap!lol
dreamqueen
Rep:
?
Thanks Sparkles and Emmerald. So sorry to have wound you up!
*sparkles*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nobody cares about your *****ing table!!! NORTHERN IRELAND IS NOT THE SAME AS IRELAND, IT IS WITHIN THE UK SO FALLS UNDER THE UK PRICE!!! when like 3 people from Northern Ireland have posted, can you not just accept you were wrong?

ps. don't worry dreamqueen, the problem is not with you!!
IcEmAn911
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
do you see UK?
AnythingButChardonnay
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just be careful not to get too close to the border, because it's all to do with the nearest phone mast thingy.
*sparkles*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The UK isn't in that table because the table is for calling abroad? Since the UK is not abroad, it's obviously not in that section...
Also, about the border thing, where in NI does your friend live? It is highly unlikely they live where they are going to be picking up Irish reception.
IcEmAn911
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What I meant was does SpikeyMike see the word UK?? UK includes England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland, so therefore since it's considered part of the UK no extra charges would occur. As highlight by others throughout this thread..
IcEmAn911
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by *sparkles*)
The UK isn't in that table because the table is for calling abroad? Since the UK is not abroad, it's obviously not in that section...
Also, about the border thing, where in NI does your friend live? It is highly unlikely they live where they are going to be picking up Irish reception.
this clearly means that northern ireland isn't abroad then
Youngs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
Just be careful not to get too close to the border, because it's all to do with the nearest phone mast thingy.
There's no handovers accross the border so you would know before you made the call. The roaming network would send you a message.

The mobile will always give preference to it's own network not the nearest mast.
Emmerald
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
haha! this is hilarious! if you lived in northern ireland you'd realise how annoying this sort of thing is!!
*sparkles*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol that's ok then... if i were spikeymike i would be seriously regretting ever bothering to open this thread and post...!!
I don't normally get so wound up by things... but sometimes people should just accept that they're wrong. To all other posters, I'm not usually so aggressive!!
*sparkles*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
On the subject of annoying things... Does anyone else find it annoying that on like, newsround etc, every time they cover anything about Northern Ireland they have to spend about 10minutes first explaining the political history and the fact it's actually part of the UK, before they even get to the story?!
AnythingButChardonnay
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Youngs)
There's no handovers accross the border so you would know before you made the call. The roaming network would send you a message.

The mobile will always give preference to it's own network not the nearest mast.
I should hope so! But I wouldn't put it past Orange based on my experiences with the *******s.

I've never been to Northern Ireland, but I read this a few months ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republi...oaming_charges
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.27%
Uncertainty around my education (36)
10.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (38)
11.34%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.07%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.18%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (34)
10.15%
Financial worries (24)
7.16%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.48%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.27%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (9)
2.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.15%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.46%

Watched Threads