I really need some advice. I'm feeling so confused and stressed!

Watch
Law law law
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
*I graduated from university 15 years ago, I have a 18 month old daughter and recently decided I would apply to study the GDL to pursue my real passion, however my degree grade isn't the best and feel that even after completing the GDL it would be a stumbling block securing a training contract, not to mention the fact that the GDL is not eligible for student finance and I'm not in a position to pay it.

So far I have applied to various universities and been accepted into all of them for various courses.

*GDL
* 2 Year Accelerated LLB
* 3 Year LLB
* Cilex Level 3

My new plan was that if I really wanted a career in Law and do to well I should start over and complete a new degree to give me a better chance of moving forward more successfully but now with the new SQE approaching and the thought of racking up student debt with the LLB I'm unsure what to do and which route to actually take..
I've looked into cilex and been offered a place, this is something I'm considering as a route into becoming a solicitor later on down the line but I've been hearing so much negative feedback and again I'm just so unsure of anything 😔🙁

Really interested to hear feedback and what route you recommend.

Thank You
james_law2.0
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So the GDL is not an option if you are not in a position to pay for it. Also if you have done a degree before how are you funding the 2 Year Accelerated LLB or the 3 Year LLB?

The Cilex option may probably be the best option to take, you will be able to work at the same time and gain experience. If you have any questions about Cilex then please dont hesitate to message me, i undertook level 6 as part of my law degree. I am also a mature student if you want have any questions regarding that.
Law law law
Rep:
?
(Original post by james_law2.0)
So the GDL is not an option if you are not in a position to pay for it. Also if you have done a degree before how are you funding the 2 Year Accelerated LLB or the 3 Year LLB?

The Cilex option may probably be the best option to take, you will be able to work at the same time and gain experience. If you have any questions about Cilex then please dont hesitate to message me, i undertook level 6 as part of my law degree. I am also a mature student if you want have any questions regarding that.
Hi there,
Thank You, much appreciated.

I applied for student finance for the LLB, haven't heard back yet but the likehood of me receiving anything is most likely 0, I applied mainly to see if there would be any financial support even towards child care.

Do you mind if I ask what are you doing now since completing the cilex level 6 and how did you find it? Was it all distance learning?
I would have to complete both level 3 and 6 which would take around 5 years?
james_law2.0
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Law law law)
Hi there,
Thank You, much appreciated.

I applied for student finance for the LLB, haven't heard back yet but the likehood of me receiving anything is most likely 0, I applied mainly to see if there would be any financial support even towards child care.

Do you mind if I ask what are you doing now since completing the cilex level 6 and how did you find it? Was it all distance learning?
I would have to complete both level 3 and 6 which would take around 5 years?
It is my understanding that once you have done one degree you can not have another degree paid for. So on that basis you wouldnt get anything from SFE towards paying for another degree.

I did the level 6 Cilex as part of my final year modules so it was all class room based; however, it can be done via distance learning. I havn't done anything with my cilex as of yet because I am wanting to become a barrister so will be doing the BTC (barrister training course) in september. I did it as a back up, that i can still pursue if I wanted to. All i would need is the 3 years portfolio of working and i would be a chartered legal executive. In my opinion i think this would be a good route for you due to the financial restrictions on doing a course at university.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
yes, nothing for student finance towards maintenance or fees if you have an existing degree (unless a specific medical/stem degree)

Maybe part time degrees would have funding? (appears not, same rules as full time degrees for 2nd time around at same level)

i do the 2 year LLB (just for interest) and its pretty intense in terms of hours so i have to work most days to study (as i still work one day a week at old job to cover costs)

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies
Last edited by Catherine1973; 3 weeks ago
TheMandalorian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly, if your main goal is to become a solicitor with a commercial law firm then doing an accelerated LLB is a waste of time and money. The LLB doesn’t teach you anything about how law functions in a law firm. It teaches you law as an academic discipline. Many law graduates struggle to get training contracts because they haven’t gained any experience that shows them how law firms function as a business. Doing the LLB is only worth it if you are interested in the academics of law and studying it as a discipline.

If you go down the GDL route you also have the additional cost of paying for the LPC if you don’t secure a training contract with a firm that’ll pay for your LPC.

The best route for you does appear to be the Cilex. It’s flexible and you can study at your own pace whilst working at the same time. I would also suggest gaining some legal work experience as well. Vacation schemes is the main way of gaining experience and many law firms will offer training contracts to people from their vac schemes.
Johnny ~
Badges: 12
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by TheMandalorian)
Honestly, if your main goal is to become a solicitor with a commercial law firm then doing an accelerated LLB is a waste of time and money. The LLB doesn’t teach you anything about how law functions in a law firm. It teaches you law as an academic discipline. Many law graduates struggle to get training contracts because they haven’t gained any experience that shows them how law firms function as a business. Doing the LLB is only worth it if you are interested in the academics of law and studying it as a discipline.
I agree with the sentiment in this paragraph, but the extra year might be valuable for the OP in terms of buying time for applications.

No commercial law firm I know of cares about whether their TC candidates have a deep understanding of the business side of law. For the few firms that do ask these questions, the answers can be swotted up on through dedicated interview prep material (and also by asking people who have done the interview before us...). Also, these business of law questions are often 'why the firm?' questions in disguise: "how do we stand out from our rivals" etc.

(Original post by Law law law)
I've looked into cilex and been offered a place, this is something I'm considering as a route into becoming a solicitor later on down the line but I've been hearing so much negative feedback and again I'm just so unsure of anything 😔🙁
The biggest question here is CILEX vs traditional TC route. The other issues only matter once you've decided on that. Do more research into CILEX. It opens up a narrower range of jobs (with a narrower range of tasks) than a TC does, at least in the first few years. But it's also less competitive from what I've heard anecdotally.

e.g. https://www.lawcareers.net/MoreLaw/CILEx, https://www.allaboutlaw.co.uk/law-ca...egal-executive
TheMandalorian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Johnny ~)
I agree with the sentiment in this paragraph, but the extra year might be valuable for the OP in terms of buying time for applications.

No commercial law firm I know of cares about whether their TC candidates have a deep understanding of the business side of law. For the few firms that do ask these questions, the answers can be swotted up on through dedicated interview prep material (and also by asking people who have done the interview before us...). Also, these business of law questions are often 'why the firm?' questions in disguise: "how do we stand out from our rivals" etc.

The biggest question here is CILEX vs traditional TC route. The other issues only matter once you've decided on that. Do more research into CILEX. It opens up a narrower range of jobs (with a narrower range of tasks) than a TC does, at least in the first few years. But it's also less competitive from what I've heard anecdotally.

e.g. https://www.lawcareers.net/MoreLaw/CILEx, https://www.allaboutlaw.co.uk/law-ca...egal-executive
You misunderstand. I am not talking about displaying understanding of business law. I am talking about showing you understand the business of the specific law firm you are applying to. This means knowing what are their biggest cases they have done, who their main clients are, what are their biggest practice areas, how many partners do they have, the diversity of their workforce etc. If you don’t mention any of this forget ever securing a TC with a law firm.

The Cilex route will narrow your choices of working in big city law firms but not everyone wants to work in a large commercial law firm. Sure, you probably won’t be closing million pound deals like you would in a training contract but again not everyone wants to be doing that.

Regardless, Cilex is seen as a valid qualification and it won’t put you at a disadvantage of getting a job in the legal sector. When I did some shadowing at a law firm I initially thought one of the partners did the typical TC route until he told me he did the Cilex route. At the end of the day it isn’t about what legal route you take but more about your legal expertise and ability to produce good work for your clients.
Law law law
Rep:
?
Good Morning Everyone,

I really appreciate all of the advice and have enjoyed reading your interesting discussions/feedback on cilex.
I have decided to take the Cilex route, there's just so many pros, and last night I applied to various law firm's to get a head start on finding qualifying employment. I honestly couldn't be more excited!
I don't understand why more students don't opt to take this route or made aware of how accessible it is.

Anyway for those who are studying Cilex let's keep in touch and support one another.
I will reply back with my LinkedIn and Socials once I've created them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (180)
24.69%
Better than expected (147)
20.16%
Worse than expected (402)
55.14%

Watched Threads