Sejal16
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
We can ask our former colonies e.g. Canada, New Zealand, Australia, African Colonies to come and form the second British Empire as we have something called nuclear bombs that will defend them and most of the colonies have the English Queen (Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II) as their own queen. So why can't we unite and have Britain as the Sovereign State?
Wōden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Nah. The Empire has caused nothing but trouble for us in the long term.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sejal16)
We can ask our former colonies e.g. Canada, New Zealand, Australia, African Colonies to come and form the second British Empire as we have something called nuclear bombs that will defend them and most of the colonies have the English Queen (Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II) as their own queen. So why can't we unite and have Britain as the Sovereign State?
Lol. Decolonisation in the first half of the 20th century through the Balfour declaration created the 'British Commonwealth': 54 member states, nearly all former territories of the British Empire, in a global political association - second only in size to the United Nations.

Declared aims: promotion of democracy, liberty, equality, human rights, good governance, the rule of law, free trade, multilateralism, and world peace.

Total member population 2.4 billion.

Membership list:

Antigua and Barbuda
Australia
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belize
Botswana
Brunei
Cameroon
Canada
Dominica
Fiji
The Gambia
Ghana
Grenada
Guyana
India
Jamaica
Kenya
Kiribati
Lesotho
Malawi
Malaysia
Malta*
Mauritius
Mozambique
Namibia
Nauru
New Zealand
Nigeria
Pakistan
Papua New Guinea
Republic of Cyprus*
Rwanda
Samoa
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Solomon Islands
South Africa
Sri Lanka
St Christopher and Nevis
St Lucia
St Vincent and the Grenadines
Swaziland
The Bahamas
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Tuvalu
Uganda
United Kingdom*
United Republic of Tanzania
Vanuatu
Zambia
Zimbabwe
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
We can ask our former colonies e.g. Canada, New Zealand, Australia, African Colonies to come and form the second British Empire
Sounds a bit like when that kid who used to bully you at school tries to recruit you for their pyramid scheme over facebook 20 years later.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Why should Britain be the sovereign state? Surely it makes much more sense to have the South Africas to tell us what to do? And they have gold and diamonds.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I assume this is what Brexit voters see happening. We'll be playing Rule Britannia on all the radio stations! We'll have no jobs, but we'll have our sovereignty.
Nabu123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Why is everyone so quick to forget the genocides, famines, wars and millions of deaths that were caused by the empire. So many countries still suffering cause of it. Only a sick f*ck would want that back.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Nabu123)
Why is everyone so quick to forget the genocides, famines, wars and millions of deaths that were caused by the empire. So many countries still suffering cause of it. Only a sick f*ck would want that back.
I always find this a strange argument. I'm no imperialist - I have a vaguely whiggish attachment to the causes of the American Revolution - but the idea that wars, famines and whatever don't happen outside of empires - or particularly the British Empire - is just bizarre. If you were to compare what we'd have called, with a vaguely racist undertone, 'native' government against imperial administration, I really don't think there'd be a clear winner in terms of what you might loosely define as human rights.

To say that the British Empire was bad in these terms simply ignores any point of comparison. If you're going to make that claim, virtually every historical political entity was bad - in which case, why single out the British Empire?

There's one country in Africa that can reasonable hold the position of having never been colonised - Ethiopia. Is it objectively doing any better than its peers on that continent? That'd be a difficult case to make - far easier would be that it has done significantly worse than many. It has suffered, even in relatively recent times, nationalist conflict within its borders, the rise of a dictatorial regime that abused human rights, one of the most significant famines in modern African history, political instability, one of the world's lowest GDPs and so on.
Last edited by L i b; 2 weeks ago
Sejal16
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
Why should Britain be the sovereign state? Surely it makes much more sense to have the South Africas to tell us what to do? And they have gold and diamonds.
Good point, but there is something that is called corruption in African Officials. It is plausible, but they have not proven that they are capable of leading their countries to glory.
Sejal16
Rep:
?
Also, it is like the bully who is now pretty influential who also wants to become your friend. He wants to help you to get a good position in society and also want you to be in his group in return.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Good point, but there is something that is called corruption in African Officials. It is plausible, but they have not proven that they are capable of leading their countries to glory.
Is there any difference between African corruption and British arrogance? Is either the basis for great leadership?
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
They'd tell you to **** off.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Is there any difference between African corruption and British arrogance? Is either the basis for great leadership?
One tends to manifest in a gross loss of public life through collapsing public buildings, no healthcare and a security force that shakesdown/shoots the public for money.. the other is just a touch unseemly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (35)
18.23%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
27.6%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (104)
54.17%

Watched Threads