Jadey53
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I’m struggling to find any literary criticism relating to the poem valentine or Duffy’s poetry
Hyperbolit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Jadey53)
I’m struggling to find any literary criticism relating to the poem valentine or Duffy’s poetry
Hi there - by "literary criticism", are you looking for academic ones? In any case, here's a close reading of Duffy's 'War Photographer', if it helps at all: hyperbolit.com/2020/05/13/looking-at-war-poetry-through-the-eyes-of-wilfred-owen-carol-ann-duffy/
Jadey53
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Hyperbolit)
Hi there - by "literary criticism", are you looking for academic ones? In any case, here's a close reading of Duffy's 'War Photographer', if it helps at all: hyperbolit.com/2020/05/13/looking-at-war-poetry-through-the-eyes-of-wilfred-owen-carol-ann-duffy/
Thank you
jamesg2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Jadey,
There is a considerable amount of criticism on the internet on "Valentine" - it is one of her most popular poems. You should find no difficulty finding material on the poem on the internet.
It is a strange poem and it takes some time to appreciate the central metaphor - or even just understand it. I find there is a selfishness in the poem - especially verse 6 especially L. 17.
The metaphors are very good and the poem establishes the authenticity of each. However the unusualness of the central metaphor I sometimes find myself forced to accept its legitimacy rather than immediately see the metaphor's purpose.
It is import to understand the verse structure - esp. the single line verse and what they bring to the poem - rather tha multi-line verses.
Although outside the subject being discussed and I cannot explain why, but I have always wondered whether this poem was written when Carol Ann Duffy was with Jackie Kay.
Last edited by jamesg2; 7 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (63)
12.28%
Virtual campus tours/open days (120)
23.39%
Live streaming events (46)
8.97%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (50)
9.75%
A uni comparison tool (119)
23.2%
An in-person event when available (115)
22.42%