The Student Room Group

A-level results day 2020- Guide to appeals, retakes and remote results day

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SarcAndSpark
Do bear in mind that sometimes the people who answer the phones for UCAS (especially at this time of year) are sometimes temporary staff and aren't always that well informed. I've known them to give people bad/wrong advice in the past. I'd wait to see what guidance issue once the results are released.

I am aware. Which is why I said this is what I have been told. And I didn't particularly want to believe that you had to put both either but some clearing person and others on tsr were saying you had to put both so I decided to contact UCAS. I think we should take their word for it until told otherwise.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I think what UCAS might mean is that if you apply before December results, you'll need to list your summer results and the resits as pending. Once someone has December results, I think they should just list these- given what Ofqual have said about how these are to be treated, I can't see how UCAS can insist that you list both.

We've been told by the school that we should list the grades we're sticking with, and they will give us fresh predicted grades for the ones we are taking in the autumn. (The implication being the fresh predicted grades will be higher than the final assigned grades)
Original post by Southcoaster747
We've been told by the school that we should list the grades we're sticking with, and they will give us fresh predicted grades for the ones we are taking in the autumn. (The implication being the fresh predicted grades will be higher than the final assigned grades)

So your school told you that those oct a level predicted grades new ones, not the old ones we got last year? My school hasn't replied to my email about this and I hope this is true...
https://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/dates-and-timetables

AQA have released the exam timetable for the autumn exams today

Wouldn't this only matter if you are early entry. Because you get your results on the 17th of December and the UCAS deadline is in January so they wouldn't have to give you predicted grades. If you end up doing not as well or better than expected it'd be easier to make choice because you have your grades already.
Original post by blackugo
Wouldn't this only matter if you are early entry. Because you get your results on the 17th of December and the UCAS deadline is in January so they wouldn't have to give you predicted grades. If you end up doing not as well or better than expected it'd be easier to make choice because you have your grades already.

Yes I think you're right. I am planning an application for Cambridge, so I need the highest possible grades on my ucas by October 15. If I get downgraded in English a level from what the school assigned me they will predict the assigned grade for October exam and I will put that down. That's the idea at least.
Yes I think you're right. I am planning an application for Cambridge, so I need the highest possible grades on my ucas by October 15. If I get downgraded in English a level from what the school assigned me they will predict the assigned grade for October exam and I will put that down. That's the idea at least.

Oh good luck. I applied as well. Hoping I can get my 2A*s
Oh good luck. I applied as well. Hoping I can get my 2A*s

Good luck!
Hi, if I meet my uni requirements and decide to go to uni this year, can I also resit my A-levels during the Autumn 2020 or Summer 2021 series alongside it?
Original post by HelloVoid
Hi, if I meet my uni requirements and decide to go to uni this year, can I also resit my A-levels during the Autumn 2020 or Summer 2021 series alongside it?

It will probably be a distraction because you'll be missing the first few weeks of uni trying to do exams.
It will probably be a distraction because you'll be missing the first few weeks of uni trying to do exams.

Yes definitely would be ( and im not too keen on staying in and studying during freshers :smile:) so I was leaning towards doing summer exams, especially cause the maths content I would cover at uni will probably make my a-level maths feel a lot easier. Would i need to ask my uni if I can do this or has it not got anything to do with them
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes definitely would be ( and im not too keen on staying in and studying during freshers :smile:) so I was leaning towards doing summer exams, especially cause the maths content I would cover at uni will probably make my a-level maths feel a lot easier

Are you doing maths at Uni? What would be the purpose of resitting? Job applications? And what grades are you expecting and what do you want to get from resits? Summer exams might cost you although I'm not sure.
Are you doing maths at Uni? What would be the purpose of resitting? Job applications? And what grades are you expecting and what do you want to get from resits? Summer exams might cost you although I'm not sure.

Doing engineering but it's a highly theoretical course. I am predicted a*s (which I did get in my mocks) but I go to a low attaining school and am expecting to get downgraded so it's just mainly about getting the grades I worked for and jobs too ofc
Doing engineering but it's a highly theoretical course. I am predicted a*s (which I did get in my mocks) but I go to a low attaining school and am expecting to get downgraded so it's just mainly about getting the grades I worked for and jobs too ofc

I'm doing engineering as well. Where are you heading? There is leeway even if you go to a school that never gets A*s. I'll have a look for the docs. Also if you rank 1st in your subjects I'd be very optimistic that standardisation wouldn't effect you too much even in a low attaining school.

Yes, this would be the way it would work if you were applying before autumn exam results come out.

If you apply after you have your results, obviously you would list your results not predicted grades!
I'm doing engineering as well. Where are you heading? There is leeway even if you go to a school that never gets A*s. I'll have a look for the docs. Also if you rank 1st in your subjects I'd be very optimistic that standardisation wouldn't effect you too much even in a low attaining school.

Firmed cambridge. Wbu? Thanks that should be the case and does give me some hope then! :smile: Would be great it if you can find the docs
Firmed cambridge. Wbu? Thanks that should be the case and does give me some hope then! :smile: Would be great it if you can find the docs

That's awesome. Best of luck. I firmed warwick but I'm hoping I can get my 2A*s and 2As and get to Cambridge through adjustment.

My PC is broken and I don't have my laptop so finding the docs on my phone is a massive pain but I'll try. There is info from ofqual on the gov website and there is info from SQA which should be similar if you want to have a look around.
That's awesome. Best of luck. I firmed warwick but I'm hoping I can get my 2A*s and 2As and get to Cambridge through adjustment.

My PC is broken and I don't have my laptop so finding the docs on my phone is a massive pain but I'll try. There is info from ofqual on the gov website and there is info from SQA which should be similar if you want to have a look around.

No worries. Good luck to you too! Hope it all works out :smile:
Yes definitely would be ( and im not too keen on staying in and studying during freshers :smile:) so I was leaning towards doing summer exams, especially cause the maths content I would cover at uni will probably make my a-level maths feel a lot easier. Would i need to ask my uni if I can do this or has it not got anything to do with them

You could resit an A-level independently whilst at uni. You'd need to find an exam centre and pay the fees as an independent candidate.

I'm not convinced there would be a huge benefit to doing this but if you decided you really wanted to, it would be possible and you wouldn't need to discuss it with your uni.
whoop whoop! can't wait. i'm sick of waiting lol :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest