Turn on thread page Beta

MS Surface and Photosynth watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This thread will probably burn out after half an hour and about 5 posts, but oh well . . .

Are you excited?

Check them out if you haven't already . . .
    microsoft surface

Photosynth

(*)

ReputationRep:
    No

it just some good inovations!!

which will take a while to take off.

but when it does it will be good.

ReputationRep:
    surface is just a touchscreen as a coffee table:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    surface is just a touchscreen as a coffee table:p:
    well, to be fair, it's a multitouch screen, ie it can register more than one point of contact at once. Most touchscreens will just average out all the points of contact. But then there are other multitouch screens out there as well.

ReputationRep:
    You should look at the Jazz Mutant midi controllers. Multi-touch and very cool looking http://www.jazzmutant.com/ I don't know how much use they are for anything other than music though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex-hs)
    well, to be fair, it's a multitouch screen, ie it can register more than one point of contact at once. Most touchscreens will just average out all the points of contact. But then there are other multitouch screens out there as well.
    ok i agree, but that technology is already being used by apple etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    ok i agree, but that technology is already being used by apple etc
    Like most Apple technology, it's nothing new.
    Multi touch has been around for yonks, long before the iPhone.

Apple bought Fingerworks which developed the technology, so yeah, Apple themselves are hardly innovative in this respect.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they both look good! Photosynth is more new and innovative than Surface though, and the cost of Surface shouldn't be as prohibitive as Microsoft are making it - the hardware aspect of Surface isn't new, only the software, so why charge $10,000 for it!?

ReputationRep:
    No.
    I can't see any use for a multi-touch table, anywhere. And the Photosynth is just terrible, who takes pictures of everything around them to badly recreate it on their PC. Just my opinion though.
    I just think Microsoft are trying to get into every market possible. Which would be fine if the technology was well made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoidburg)
    Photosynth is just terrible, who takes pictures of everything around them to badly recreate it on their PC. Just my opinion though.
    I don't think it is aimed at people taking all the pics themselves.
    When it's coupled with something like Flickr it becomes pretty powerful and uses 100's or 1000's of other peoples photos to create an interactive view of a scene. At least that's what the demo I saw earlier in the year talked about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadnerb)
    I don't think it is aimed at people taking all the pics themselves.
    When it's coupled with something like Flickr it becomes pretty powerful and uses 100's or 1000's of other peoples photos to create an interactive view of a scene. At least that's what the demo I saw earlier in the year talked about.
    I still struggle to see how people would use it other than to say: "wow, look at that" and then get bored of it.

ReputationRep:
    I agree.
    It's definitely pretty cool but I'm not sure what it could be used for other than to wow people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoidburg)
    I still struggle to see how people would use it other than to say: "wow, look at that" and then get bored of it.
    Hotel owners could use it as a way to show some of their hotel rooms in an interactive way on their websites. Shops could use it to allow users to view the products in detail at all angles. Photosynth creates a 3d node cloud based on the images you take. With more work, this technology could be used to quickly map items/areas into games or animated movies. In order to see this node cloud in more detail, go to any photosynth (the more detailed the better) and press "p". This will hide all of the photos, and just display the 3d model that photosynth has generated.

I created my own the other day, based on a tree in my back garden. The results were absolutely amazing. Note that this technology is new and still currently in beta.

ReputationRep:
    A great example of the 3D model is the boxer in the ring.
    http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=...1-8540202e304d

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.