Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ive been looking on the portal at the choices and there are only 2 options for english and 1 for history of art in the first year for semester one.
    Is this usually the case or will they add more options. Very dissapointed if not

ReputationRep:
    Here's a full list of all the elective modules you can take:

http://webprod1.leeds.ac.uk/banner/m...ct=on&S=&A=any

In first year you can only take level 1 modules, where the four number in the module code begin with a 1.

There's a difference between electives and optional modules as well: for example, in the second year of my economics course I can choose 20 credits worth of optional modules from a prescribed list from the business school, and then 20 credits of electives, so any level 2 module on that list I posted, from any department at the university.

ReputationRep:
    If I have 40 credits of electives each year, and I can only choose 20 credits of special skills electives in my final year, does that mean I have to choose a module that ISNT a "SPE" in my first year? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheerios)
    ive been looking on the portal at the choices and there are only 2 options for english and 1 for history of art in the first year for semester one.
    Is this usually the case or will they add more options. Very dissapointed if not

I think you can choose electives from any department as long as they fit in with your timetable. You might want to double check that with any information you've been given by the uni though!

ReputationRep:
    I'm slightly confused about electives at the moment! Can we pretty much choose any subject of our interest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nelz26)
    I'm slightly confused about electives at the moment! Can we pretty much choose any subject of our interest?
    Yep as long as they fit into your timetable and don't cause clashes. There may be some requirements (For example a module I did - which wasn't an elective - required an A in GCSE Maths) but I've seen many people choose random subjects as an elective :p:

ReputationRep:
    yes remember though that you are treated the same as the students from that home department and the assessment is the same, so if you are an arts type person and suddenly decide colour science sounds hot, you better be able to handle university level science!

to be fair though, this is one of the advantages of first year not counting to your degree, you can afford to make a mistake with a bad elective choice and it wont count against you on your degree, I failed an elective in 1st year because it just wasn't for me

ReputationRep:
    Virtually all the electives i'd like to do seem to clash with my normal modules. Strange considering i'm looking at physics modules to accompany a maths degree, i would have thought they'd look at these two subjects as subjects where clashes should be minimised, kind of like maybe History and English or History and Politics.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't pick French language because my level of French clashed with my lectures. If I wasn't as good at French, I could've done a different French module and been able to do it, but I'd just be going over stuff I already knew

ReputationRep:
    just to say thanks for the help. i have picked my elective choices and it all worked out fine! im doing english and history of art and for my electives im doing a module on ovids metamorphosis and a cultral history module!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheerios)
    just to say thanks for the help. i have picked my elective choices and it all worked out fine! im doing english and history of art and for my electives im doing a module on ovids metamorphosis and a cultral history module!
    Me tooo!!!! See ya there! Are you on the member list? :p:

ReputationRep:
    I can't pick any electives because all my modules are core. Not happy, I wanted to do the poetry module.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    I can't pick any electives because all my modules are core. Not happy, I wanted to do the poetry module.
    :hugs:
    You can have some of my credits, I have too many..

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    how do you actually confirm which modules you're going to pick and find out which times they are?? possibly just me being a clown

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peterofile)
    how do you actually confirm which modules you're going to pick and find out which times they are?? possibly just me being a clown
    In each year you will have a number of credits to 'spend' (normally 100-120). Some of these credits will be spent on compulsory modules and optional. Optional modules are those which are given in a list but you have the choice which ones you do. If you have any credits free you will most probably be allowed to study an elective. You can confirm these on the Leeds portal, I'm not entirely sure if you can do this as a first year, I assume so though. There will also be an opportunity to confirm your modules in Freshers' Week (Which is what I did last year). The elective you choose could be full by then though .

To find out if the electives could clash with your timetable go on the Leeds module catalogue here

http://webprod1.leeds.ac.uk/catalogu...h.asp?T=S&L=UG

When you find a module you like the look check the timetable that's near the top of the page with the module information.

It may also be the case that your department recommends elective modules. This happened in my first year and because they are ones that are recommended there shouldn't be any timetable issues (Unless it clashes with an optional module you've chosen, I had no optional modules last year so I didn't have this problem )

ReputationRep:
    ah, cheers for that!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a little bit confused as well... I'm doing Joint Honours Theology with History&Philosophy of Science, and I'm planning on picking the foundation astronomy electives.
    However I'd then have 20 credits left over... should I use these to do extras on my main degree subjects or pick something else that interests me?
    Would this be spreading myself too thin?? Anyone else in a similar situation??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    I sound like a right dumbass by saying this, but how do you know if your modules are core ones? And also, how can I find out how many credits things are worth?!!?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I sound like a right dumbass by saying this, but how do you know if your modules are core ones? And also, how can I find out how many credits things are worth?!!?:confused:
    I e-mailed my department to find out.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.