The Student Room Group

IB French HL

Due to be starting the IB in September and trying to sort out my subject choices; at the moment, I know I want to do HL English Lit/Lang and Global Politics, SL ESS and Maths AA. I want to go into journalism and really want to continue with French, having done it at GCSE (predicted grade 9). I was planning on doing French HL but have heard that it's really difficult, especially coming from just GCSE level, but I'm not sure what else I would do (was planning on doing Spanish Ab or Anthropology for my third SL) unless I did HL Anthro and SL French B. Any advice on how difficult HL French B is, how I could prepare over the summer, and whether I should do SL instead would be really appreciated!
I think for HL languages you would need around a C1 level (maybe high B2) to be able to obtain a good grade, I'm not sure what the level at GCSE is tho. I take English B HL (I'm not a native speaker) and I find it pretty easy, but my level is like around C1 I'd say. I've never studied French tho so can't really compare this specific subject, but I think if GCSE is around B2-C1, it should be fine.
Also my final year grade for IBY1 in English was 7 and so is my predicted for university and I haven't really studied almost at all (besides vocabulary tests since ofc I don't know the whole vocab haha) during the year because it wasn't too difficult. What I mean is even if your level is lower, it should be fine with actually studying for the class hahah.
Hope this helps a bit!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending